Compadre and tocayo in English?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Tocayo is 'namesake', but it's not used in precisely the same way. You wouldn't say 'Hi, namesake' in English the way one says 'Hola tocayo' to someone with the same name as you, but you might describe little Sammy as being as good a baseball player as his more famous namesake.

Compadre means 'comrade', 'mate' (UK), 'buddy' (US) depending on context.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Am I wrong?

Chirimoya said:
Tocayo is 'namesake', but it's not used in precisely the same way. You wouldn't say 'Hi, namesake' in English the way one says 'Hola tocayo' to someone with the same name as you, but you might describe little Sammy as being as good a baseball player as his more famous namesake.

Compadre means 'comrade', 'mate' (UK), 'buddy' (US) depending on context.
I could be wrong but I thought that "compadre" has to do with "bautizar" a person's kid.

But I do know that dominicans use it to greet someone they know. The same as "hola doctor", "hola companero", "hola licensiado", "hola magistrado", "hola ingeniero" and so on..., when the greeted person does not have such tittles.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Miguel, either you mean 'padrino' (godfather), or there is another meaning that I can't remember right now, something along those lines.

IIRC 'compadre' also has a similar meaning to 'consuegro' (and 'comadre'/'consuegra') to describe the relationship between a couple's parents, sort of like saying 'co-in-laws'.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Got it now!!!

Chirimoya said:
Miguel, either you mean 'padrino' (godfather), or there is another meaning that I can't remember right now, something along those lines.

IIRC 'compadre' also has a similar meaning to 'consuegro' (and 'comadre'/'consuegra') to describe the relationship between a couple's parents, sort of like saying 'co-in-laws'.
If I am not wrong, 'compadres" are the person who baptized a kid and the kid's father. "Comadre" is the person who baptized a kid and the kid's mother. I baptized my friend Ramon's 2 kids so that maked me his Compadre and his wife is my Comadre.

I think that comadre and consuegra and compadre and consuegro have nothing to do with each other.

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
Chirimoya said:

Chiri,

I was looking for the meaning that despict the relationship between the Father and the godfather of the child. A compadre to me is the person that is my child godfather. I don't think a word exist in english for this type of relationship. I was surprise to hear the words "godsister and godbrother" being used where I never heard their counterpart in Spanish.

xamaicano

Apr 16, 2004
Compadre is friend in American English. It is heard on TV and in Movies. I asked random people in office what it meant and they all said friend.

com?pa?dre ( P ) Pronunciation Key (km-p?dr)
n. Chiefly Southwestern U.S.
A close friend or associate; a companion.

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
xamaicano said:
Compadre is friend in American English. It is heard on TV and in Movies. I asked random people in office what it meant and they all said friend.

com?pa?dre ( P ) Pronunciation Key (km-p?dr)
n. Chiefly Southwestern U.S.
A close friend or associate; a companion.

It does not mean the same in Spanish. If you are catholic, what is the term you use for your child's godfather.

In Spanish compadre has to do with baptism or christening. You can be friend or best friend and not be compadres. You have to baptize or have your child baptize by a person to be considered a compadre.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
The dictionary mentions all of the above.

compadre 1 (padrino) godfather - 2 (amigo) mate, pal

I've read on DR1 the best man at a wedding is called padrino in the DR.

Multi purpose word. ;)

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
compadre = co padre
comadre = co madre

When you become the godfather/godmother of someone's child, you agree to help in raising that child (as a Catholic for example) and take the child in should the parents die. So the literal meaning is "co-parent."

As far as tocayo, I agree that it's someone with the same name as yours. But not you.

A padrino/padrina is a sponsor.

mkohn

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
padrino...another use

Anna Coniglio said:

Multi purpose word. ;)

For high school graduation, in the campo anyway, the graduate selects a padrino or madrina to be by their side through the ceremony and celebrations.

May 31, 2005
Anna Coniglio said:

Multi purpose word. ;)
They actually choose a madrina and padrino de boda for the wedding but they do not call each other compadres. That is reserved for the madrina or padrino of the child.

May 31, 2005
Nelly said:
For high school graduation, in the campo anyway, the graduate selects a padrino or madrina to be by their side through the ceremony and celebrations.
Yeah, that's not just in the campo.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Stodgord said:
Chiri,

I was looking for the meaning that despict the relationship between the Father and the godfather of the child. A compadre to me is the person that is my child godfather. I don't think a word exist in english for this type of relationship. I was surprise to hear the words "godsister and godbrother" being used where I never heard their counterpart in Spanish.

That's the one. Ditto for 'comadre'.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Anna Coniglio said:

Multi purpose word. ;)
That is not 100% correct

Padrino and madrina....... is what the kids call their godparents.

Compadre and Comadre....is what the parents call their children's godparents.

Also, as Chiri already mentioned.....some people substitute the word "CUNAO and Cuna wich means brother in-law and sister in-law with the word compadre or comadre only because it is customary in the DR that your brother in-law and sister in-laws are picked for your children's godparents as well. Therefore they usually choose to call them compadres and comadres instead of cunao(cunado) or cuna(cunada).

A padrino in a wedding is someone that contributes to a wedding whether financially or by assisting in the preparation part.

Tordok

Bronze
Oct 6, 2003
I found this in a language board, and it makes sense with my understanding of the word and its usage:
........Portuguese and Spanish have comadre and compadre, and Catalan has comare and compare. There's no word for them in English or in any other language I've researched. My dictionary says Compadre - godfather of one's child or father of one's godchild. Comadre - godmother of one's child or mother of one's godchild. Now, why does that happen? Is it because Portugal and Spain have been traditionally Catholic countries? So has Italy, but I haven't found any words that mean the same. Italian has comare and compare, and French has comp?re and comm?re, but they don't mean the same thing. And in Portuguese, Spanish, and Catalan compadre/compare and comadre/comare have developed other senses, as of close friends, especially ones that gossip together.

Lots of people use the compadre or even "mi compai", in a friendly, colloquial manner even if the actual relationship of 'compadrazgo' does not exist.

With regards to cu?ados and cu?adas, they must be either the sibling of your spouse (mi cu?ado es el hermano de mi esposa) or by derivation, the spouse of your sibling (mi cu?ado el esposo de mi hermana) to count as such. The respective spouses of your cu?ados are technically, concu?ado or concu?ada (el esposo de la hermana de mi esposa es mi concu?ado, (which in my case also happens to be one of my several compadres).

- Tordok

jcrue20

May 3, 2004
compadre is used when your kid get baptized and your friend is one the godfather. the father of kid and the godfather can now be called "compadres".

Status
Not open for further replies.