KNBR - Larry Krueger

nyjcr

Feb 25, 2005
Regarding, the recent comments by KNBR Larry Krueger.
Although I wish he gets fired, I wonder isn't this; what freedom of speech is all about. Doesn't he has the right to say whatever he feels, I don't condone his actions, and personally I would hope he doesn't get another job in his life, but in reality, it is his right to say whatever he wants.

I'm not arguing whether he was right or wrong, we all know it was wrong; I question his freedom of speech rights.

What do you all DR1's feel?

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/MediaNews/2005/08/05/pf-1161250.html

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If he'd left out

"Caribbean" he would have been telling the truth. So what? They're the Giants, and I don't like them and never have.....(I'm an old Brooklyn Dodger fan, sorry)

Was the guy stupid--absolutely, but rooting for the Giants will do that to a person.

Was it racist? Probably not. He was just looking for a nail to hang the epitaph on.....and with those Hispanic ball players from the Caribbean, it was a stereotype...
Did it reflect perhaps some subconscious feelings? You betcha! Just like Fuzzy Zoeller at the masters...and a whole bunch of other people....

As for the Creme of Wheat thing....99% of the public probably did not catch that....but it is a cool way to slur.......Less obvious that Aunt Jamama
(or whatever its called)

HB :D:D Opining with tongue in cheek

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
This will be pretty interesting to see develop.

The radio station apparently owns 1.5% of the SF Giants. Krueger is only a host, not an announcer. He was suspended from the air for a week.

Alou has already exercised his "freedom of expression" by deciding not to do the pre-game show he's been doing. If it continues down this path, the Latin ballplayers will probably boycott the station.

Freedom of speech and expression is, of course, great on your own time and dime. But on the company's dime???? Remember that people were being fired from their jobs in the USA for wearing Kerry for President buttons and having Kerry/Edwards bumper stickers on their cars.

Ridiculous, I know, but this is the USA.

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
i excercised my freedom of expression by asking SF management to can his racist behind. while anyone can have a bad day, if we all lashed out everytime we had a bad day, it would make for quite the neanderthal exisitence.

Just last friday at work I received a technical memo. Upon analysis, I decided that it was inaccurate and clearly showed a lack of understanding.

Surely, I thought to myself : "this guy is an idiot ". But I did not call him names or broadcast my thoughts on company mail. Its called acting like a grown up.

Let's stop making excuses for retarding behaviour.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Enrique Rojas

Nothing new or earthshattering, but a good article on the larger issue.

I put KNBR on the dial yesterday, and the producer and personality in the afternoon show were joking about it being a "vacation" for Krueger.

The Bay area is one of the most culturally diverse areas anywhere on the planet. Within a radius of 2 city blocks from my office, 7-10 languages can be practiced on a regular basis; japanese, chinese, korean, mandarin, cantonese, farsi, vietnamese, mexican/spanish, russian, ukrainian, czech (and my god is that czech girl cute!!!).

After a rollicking round of sushi and many sapporo's, I've been known to delve into my own dialect of Apache, bringing the count up to a full dozen.

Point being, I would expect such an idiotic comment out of the mental midgets in the Boston area, or perhaps down south. But, coming from this populace it's a shocker, there is no such sentiment anywhere to be found, thankfully.

Hopefully, more ignorant people will come away from this a bit wiser.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
mondongo said:
i excercised my freedom of expression by asking SF management to can his racist behind.

How do you know he is a racist? He called the Carribean hitters on the team braindead. Does that mean he thinks all Carribean people are braindead? Is it possible that he thinks a few of the white players are braindead too? Maybe it just so happens that this small group of players who happen to be Carribean are playing like the are braindead. Is this a possibility? Is he allowed to make such an observation?

It dosen't matter what he really thinks because he made a statement that can be 'interpreted' as racist and in the United States, that is good enough. "Burn him at the stake" they scream, "until the racist statements stop!". Yes, we will continue burning people at the stake until one day, we realize that statements like that will never stop. One day we will learn not to be so sensitive.

Now, I want to know when these Carribean playyers on the Giants are going to wake up and start hitting! Ooops, did I say anything wrong there? Was that racist? Maybe from now on, I will just keep my observations to myself. Yes, let's all be a society of phonies; at least we wont offend anyone.

Larry

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Did you hear the comments?

Larry said:
How do you know he is a racist? ......Now, I want to know when these Carribean playyers on the Giants are going to wake up and start hitting! Ooops, did I say anything wrong there? Was that racist? Maybe from now on, I will just keep my observations to myself. Yes, let's all be a society of phonies; at least we wont offend anyone.Larry
Larry, you don't work for KNBR, you're not paid to represent the feelings of fans and community, this dipshit Krueger is.

You can say whatever you like, it has no consequence or "paid" audience.

Did you actually hear the comments?

Having now heard the actual tape, the comments and intentions are far worse than they appear in print. He said it with such disrespect and disdain towards an entire region and race of people, I can't for the life of me believe they would keep this guy after such a moronic move.

If this had come from a fan calling into the show, it wouldn't have raised an eyebrow, but for a beligerant employee to go on air live and spew such vitriol is reprehensible.

For such a proud and fervent supporter of the Latin baseball player, the Giants are hanging their head over this one.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Cleef said:
Having now heard the actual tape, the comments and intentions are far worse than they appear in print. He said it with such disrespect and disdain towards an entire region and race of people, I can't for the life of me believe they would keep this guy after such a moronic move.
I thought there might have been more. Reading the article I couldn't figure out why all the fuss (and usually I am overly sensitive this issue).

Is there any recording or transcript available online?

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
"Outside the Lines" ESPN

rellosk said:
I thought there might have been more. Reading the article I couldn't figure out why all the fuss (and usually I am overly sensitive this issue).

Is there any recording or transcript available online?
I'm local so it's been heard over and over.

ESPN's "Outside the Lines" had a special on it last night, that's one way to get a listen (they played it at least twice). They interviewed Alou, and he compared him to Satan, the host of the show quickly changed the subject.

If you hear the audio, you'll understand the reactions.

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
Beleaguered talk-show host Larry Krueger has lost his job at KNBR -- and two other station employees also were fired late Tuesday night.

Longtime program director Bob Agnew and Tony Rhein, the producer of KNBR's morning show, were let go by the station. The announcement was made around 10:15 p.m. Tuesday in a statement issued by senior vice president Tony Salvadore on KNBR's Web site.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/08/10/KNBR.TMP

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Wow, I'm Nostradamisianish

Remember I said I'd heard these goofballs at the station more or less joking about the situation?

They both got axed .

This other bottom scraper, Gary Radnich went off (on-air) on the people doing the firing last night. He's a bigger dope than the other three put together.

The end result has been great if we can get rid of all of them. As it stands now, they're air pollution.

PC forever!!!!

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
i know i'd laugh

Larry, next time your having dinner at a nice restaurant....toward the end of dinner...after a few beers, some cabbage, and a huge bowl of chili....i want you to lift up your right cheek.....and roll a little thunder for all to hear and enjoy...

that would be funny...you would bring the house down.

but in all seriousness.....why don't people do that? I know that I would laugh if I was sitting at the table.

PS I comtemplate this almost weekly at the boring meetings at work.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
mondongo said:
Larry, next time your having dinner at a nice restaurant....toward the end of dinner...after a few beers, some cabbage, and a huge bowl of chili....i want you to lift up your right cheek.....and roll a little thunder for all to hear and enjoy...

I can't. They dont serve chili in nice restaurants.

And what does this have to do with braindead baseball players?

Larry