Santo Domingo Language school experiences

Status
Not open for further replies.

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
I wondered whether anyone has experiences with Spanish language schools in Santo Domingo, or heard from people who went there. Hispaniola and Instituto Intercultural del Caribe look the most professional, perhaps there's others, but does anyone know something about the quality of their lessons and organisation, at intermediate level?

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
qgrande said:
I wondered whether anyone has experiences with Spanish language schools in Santo Domingo, or heard from people who went there. Hispaniola and Instituto Intercultural del Caribe look the most professional, perhaps there's others, but does anyone know something about the quality of their lessons and organisation, at intermediate level?

I did two weeks at Hispaniola 3 years ago as part of a vacation/study. I liked the people there but it is VERY traditional in its teaching methodology and expensive. You would be better off hiring a professionsl teacher for a few hours per day of private tutoring. The teachers there are young and the textbook is the "Bible" which is typically not a good approach. It is very "one size fits all". Try to find a teacher who uses more of the "communucative approach" or "whole language".

Scandall

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
Scandall said:
I did two weeks at Hispaniola 3 years ago as part of a vacation/study. I liked the people there but it is VERY traditional in its teaching methodology and expensive. You would be better off hiring a professionsl teacher for a few hours per day of private tutoring. The teachers there are young and the textbook is the "Bible" which is typically not a good approach. It is very "one size fits all". Try to find a teacher who uses more of the "communucative approach" or "whole language".

Scandall

Thanks a lot! I'll consider the private teacher or at least include individual lessons at a school. About a different apporach, does anyone have experiences with another teacher/school?

Status
Not open for further replies.