Advice for a first time RD visitor.

ze pequeno

Aug 2, 2005
Greetings! I have a DR trip coming up a few months from now and my head is spinning, trying to concieve of a game-plan.

I have a few questions for those of us here who are seasoned DR travelers:

1. When arranging flights to DR, is it best to do so online via services such as travelocity.com or to book flights via travel agents?. What's the most reliable method?

2. When it comes to booking hotels, is it best do so after touch down in DR or from the states? Also, are there any potential pit-falls in purchasing plane tickets and hotels simultaneously?

3. What's the overall advantages and/or disadvantages of the AIs vs non AIs?

4. Are AIs a good bet for individuals with minimal spanish language comprehension? To put it another way, do the staff at most non AI hotels throughout DR speak some degree of english?

5. In terms of town/cities in DR, is the capital a better bet than the north coast, for visitors who want to avoid the"tourist traps"?

6. I'm aware that the north coast offers many beach activities, but what does a single tourist guy do to entertain himself in the capital?

Thanks in advance to anyone who would be so kind as to respond!

ze pequeno

paddy

Silver
Oct 4, 2003
ze pequeno said:
Greetings! I have a DR trip coming up a few months from now and my head is spinning, trying to concieve of a game-plan.

1. When arranging flights to DR, is it best to do so online via services such as travelocity.com or to book flights via travel agents?. What's the most reliable method?

2. When it comes to booking hotels, is it best do so after touch down in DR or from the states? Also, are there any potential pit-falls in purchasing plane tickets and hotels simultaneously?

4. Are AIs a good bet for individuals with minimal spanish language comprehension? To put it another way, do the staff at most non AI hotels throughout DR speak some degree of english?

5. In terms of town/cities in DR, is the capital a better bet than the north coast, for visitors who want to avoid the"tourist traps"?

6. I'm aware that the north coast offers many beach activities, but what does a single tourist guy do to entertain himself in the capital?

ze pequeno
where are you coming from?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
zp, as a first step, click on the "search" button at the top of most pages and look for information in our voluminus archives. You search the archives in the same way that you use any search engine.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
ze pequeno said:

ze pequeno

1. Travelocity is a travel agent. For packages you can do better in your home town. Discounts of at least 10% from the brochure, and last minute even more, as little as 25% of the list price. e.g. 75% off. I would not use an online travel agency for a tour package. Of course I wouldn't use a travel agency either since i won't stay there.

2. Unless you are travelling in a real shoulder or trough period, arriving in a foreign country without a hotel reservation is pretty stupid. So you are at the airport, no local coins for the phone, no phone directory, no car, no taxi to take you anywhere specific, a poor plan indeed. The second part of the question makes no sense, what would be the problem or pitfall with booking a flight and a hotel? You need both. Hence your travel agent. Packages almost always include both, cattle class.

3. AI's are for the weak and unimaginative who crave being at home with unlimited liquor and cafeteria food. Price wise I am not convinced you save a hell of a lot, though at times the charter flights, while fit only for animals and small children can be a good deal even if you don't stay in the resort.

4. Yes, making the trip to a foreign country even less foreign than it already is inside an AI.

5. Probably. Certainly there are no AI's unlike all the other destinations, and the north shore is not exclusive in that regard. South shore has Boca Chica, la Romana, Juan Dolio and Punta Cana, equally boring inside the AI. Actually if you insist on an AI you can go to whatever country is cheapest and has the shortest flight since there is absolutely zero possibility of getting a feel for the actual place you go.

6. The same as in any major city. Culture, food, touring, music and clubs, etc. If you are looking for paid girls, ask. They are a lot less available in the capital and Boca Chica since the raids, but not impossible if you can speak the language. And don't get took. More so especially for monolingual newbies, hint hint, in Sosua.

If you say those of "us" , are you counting yourself as "us"? It appears not, based on these questions, so it's better to say those of "you".

Apr 26, 2002
ricktoronto said:
If you say those of "us" , are you counting yourself as "us"? It appears not, based on these questions, so it's better to say those of "you".
Perhaps he's a male nurse -- you know how when nurses say "and how are we today", they mean "how are you today".

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
It was oddly phrased , didn't know if he knew and wanted to start a tips for general use thread or didn't know. I am going with the didn't know, possibly never been on a plane category. Some of the questions, especially booking a hotel and flight at the same time struck me as pretty odd.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Here are a couple of leads

1) Do what Rick told you to do and search, search..

2) Look up posts by "sliver shost" and "gray ghost" who are one and the same.
He describes his trips and what he did and did not like about each activity.

3) The look up Robert's post on Damajagua Falls...perhaps the best trip report ever on DR1.

4) A wee bit of friendly advice: On the North Shore you may well find some friends (go to Rocky's and ask around) who can steer you to some fun things to do.
In Santo Domingo you can get in a schitt-load of trouble if you don't know the ropes...

HB :D:D:D

ze pequeno

Aug 2, 2005
ricktoronto said:
1. Travelocity is a travel agent. For packages you can do better in your home town. Discounts of at least 10% from the brochure, and last minute even more, as little as 25% of the list price. e.g. 75% off. I would not use an online travel agency for a tour package. Of course I wouldn't use a travel agency either since i won't stay there.

2. Unless you are travelling in a real shoulder or trough period, arriving in a foreign country without a hotel reservation is pretty stupid. So you are at the airport, no local coins for the phone, no phone directory, no car, no taxi to take you anywhere specific, a poor plan indeed. The second part of the question makes no sense, what would be the problem or pitfall with booking a flight and a hotel? You need both. Hence your travel agent. Packages almost always include both, cattle class.

3. AI's are for the weak and unimaginative who crave being at home with unlimited liquor and cafeteria food. Price wise I am not convinced you save a hell of a lot, though at times the charter flights, while fit only for animals and small children can be a good deal even if you don't stay in the resort.

4. Yes, making the trip to a foreign country even less foreign than it already is inside an AI.

5. Probably. Certainly there are no AI's unlike all the other destinations, and the north shore is not exclusive in that regard. South shore has Boca Chica, la Romana, Juan Dolio and Punta Cana, equally boring inside the AI. Actually if you insist on an AI you can go to whatever country is cheapest and has the shortest flight since there is absolutely zero possibility of getting a feel for the actual place you go.

6. The same as in any major city. Culture, food, touring, music and clubs, etc. If you are looking for paid girls, ask. They are a lot less available in the capital and Boca Chica since the raids, but not impossible if you can speak the language. And don't get took. More so especially for monolingual newbies, hint hint, in Sosua.

Lol! when I wrote "those of us" I was simply refering to fellow board members. I have indeed traveled by plane, only inside the u.s. though. I haven't had the desire to travel abroad, until most recently. Your comments seem to be sound advice and your input is greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
ze pequeno

ze pequeno

Aug 2, 2005
Hillbilly said:
1) Do what Rick told you to do and search, search..

2) Look up posts by "sliver shost" and "gray ghost" who are one and the same.
He describes his trips and what he did and did not like about each activity.

3) The look up Robert's post on Damajagua Falls...perhaps the best trip report ever on DR1.

4) A wee bit of friendly advice: On the North Shore you may well find some friends (go to Rocky's and ask around) who can steer you to some fun things to do.
In Santo Domingo you can get in a schitt-load of trouble if you don't know the ropes...

HB :D:D:D

Thanks for the advice hillbilly.

ze

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
ze pequeno said:
Lol! when I wrote "those of us" I was simply refering to fellow board members. I have indeed traveled by plane, only inside the u.s. though. I haven't had the desire to travel abroad, until most recently. Your comments seem to be sound advice and your input is greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
ze pequeno

Really ZP this is agreat opportunity to NOT stay in an AI, take advantage of it - one tip - at times packages, at the last minute with hotels as part of it, are cheaper than air only (oddly enough) - no problem buying the package and not going to the "resort", just check in and then leave - I left a note on the bed in Spanish saying I had not run away just out of the resort for a while and not to panic, for the maid.

Then get a proper hotel in town and hang out. At the end go back to the AI and join the group though if the resort is not too much of a taxi ride you can get to the front of the pack by avoiding that part and just going to the airport.

Get a beginners Spanish book or tapes and learn some, any is better than zilch.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
My 2 pesos worth

Read what many of these folks tell you. Most are pretty well versed on travel throughout the DR. This is your first time here? You should go it safely and surely. Personally I find AIs to be so daggone boring! Someone could build a Dominican AI in the middle of New Jersey, blind fold your eyes and send you there and you would swear that you were in the DR. Everything is so pretentious there! Why go visit another country if you are going to stay behind walls guarded by armed guards?

However, for a first timer such as yourself this (AIs) is probably the best way to go. I would strongly suggest that you do get out of that prison (AI) and visit the surrounding area. North Coast has some nice places near Puerto Plata such as Puerto Plata itself, Sosua, Cabarete and Rio San Juan and Samana farther out East. Once you know your way around and have met some of the ex-pats living here you will have a better feel of "winging it" the next time around.

ze pequeno

Aug 2, 2005
ricktoronto said:
Really ZP this is agreat opportunity to NOT stay in an AI, take advantage of it - one tip - at times packages, at the last minute with hotels as part of it, are cheaper than air only (oddly enough) - no problem buying the package and not going to the "resort", just check in and then leave - I left a note on the bed in Spanish saying I had not run away just out of the resort for a while and not to panic, for the maid.

Then get a proper hotel in town and hang out. At the end go back to the AI and join the group though if the resort is not too much of a taxi ride you can get to the front of the pack by avoiding that part and just going to the airport.

Get a beginners Spanish book or tapes and learn some, any is better than zilch.

Thanks again!

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
uyuyuy um brasileiro muyto perigoso

ze pequeno, leave your shooter in cidade de deus, we don't want none of that in our beloved DR.... :bandit:

Since it's your first visit and you don't speak good spanish, I think it would be best to start at an AI on the north/east/south coast, then leave and spend a couple of days in the capital in a nice hotel where people speak english.

It's all up to you what you are interested in.

Bartolomeu