Regular popular expressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milagro02

Sep 29, 2004
Is there any link available to all kind of spanish expressions we use in our daily lives. Or if you have any on top of your head just put em down.

It could be about the weather, food, relationships anything.

p.s. Lesley I did PM you about this, but don't know if you saw it.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Are you interested in Spanish expressions or Dominican expressions?

I would think that every Spanish speaking country differs from each other.

Milagro02

Sep 29, 2004
oops

I meant dominican expressions and I dont mean what as been posted in recent months (idioms and stuff)
I want something like day to day.. only there's nothing that comes to mind right now..

Milagro02

Sep 29, 2004
well....

I saw this thread (Dominicanismos and other Spanish expressions) and although it gave a few I was more looking for a collection of expressions.
:disappoin

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Milagro02 said:
Will do.. probably this weekend

Thank you. Pick out what you think are best and I'll make it a stickie for others to have in the future. ;)

arielsanchez

Aug 17, 2005
Te ense?are algunas.

Cuando hay mucho frio puedes decir"hace un frio que pela",cuando es un dia de sol fuerte ,o sea mucho sol puedes decir "hace un sol que raja las piedras".Well,espero que te hallan servido estas frases.Mi nombre es Ariel y I'm from Cuba.About weather.

May 31, 2005
It's just that you need to tell us what kinds of expressions. Do you know how many different everyday expressions there are? Many!

Milagro02

Sep 29, 2004
I've been compiling what I found so far and I still have some more digging to do.. but the list is getting pretty impressive.. Although it's a lot more job then I expected to.. but it's all good I'm learning a lot in the process...
So, thanks Ariel i'll add them.

Well on any subject is fine.

Dragonfly; that's precisely why I didn't specify so that we can get many expressions

M

Mr.Mark

katie2246 said:
alguien me pueda traducir "me soltaste en banda"????? much?simas gracias

It's hard to tell, because me soltaste en banda (using the verb in the indicative mode) doesn't have the same meaning as when we use the verb in the imperative, i.e.: su?ltame en banda = leave me alone, but me soltaste en banda is not exactly you left me alone.

Why do I say it's different? Because when you use the imperative mode you are telling someone to leave you alone because you don't like what that persona is doing, maybe he/she is harassing you, but in most contexts in which you use the indicative mode you are talking about a situation in which someone stopped talking to you, arguing with you or stopped having interest in you by his/her own decision.

Personally, I use the phrase me pusiste en lista de waivers as a synonim of me soltaste en banda.

Me soltaste en banda comes from the image of a man (or woman, for you feminists) who's flying a kite and he cuts its thread and lets it fly alone w/o and forgets about the chichigua.

So.... me soltaste en banda could be translated -depending on the context- as "you lost interest in me" or "you stopped talking to me". However, there's a problem with the first translation: the action is focused on the second person (note that "me soltaste" is a reflexive verb conjugated in the first person) and it doesn't leads us to a specific moment in time, while the original phrase in Spanish does so (you can relate to a specific moment with it). Also "you lost interest in me" is not what we can call an action, for it stays in the subject inner self. In light of this I think that the most close traslation is "you left me by myself". Hey! I'm starting to think that "you left me alone" is not as unappropriate as I thought!

Last edited:

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Mr. Mark

Your grammatical explanation is not correct:

You said: "me soltaste" is a reflexive verb conjugated in the first person

'me soltase' en banda.... 'me soltaste' is not used reflexively here. Remember by definition 'reflexive' means the doer and the receiver of the action are the same. In this phrase that's not the case. Compare to 'te lavaste'. That's a reflexive construction.

Anyway this expression is as Dominican as it gets and the OP needs to describe the scenario in order to get a proper explanation in English. However, the closest equivalent you gave was using it imperatively: su?ltame en banda and I completely agree with you with the equivalent being 'leave me alone'.

LDG.

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005
This is a slang or an idiom and the best translation that I wil give to it is "You let me go without caring"

M

Mr.Mark

Lesley D said:
Your grammatical explanation is not correct:

You said: "me soltaste" is a reflexive verb conjugated in the first person

'me soltase' en banda.... 'me soltaste' is not used reflexively here. Remember by definition 'reflexive' means the doer and the receiver of the action are the same. In this phrase that's not the case. Compare to 'te lavaste'. That's a reflexive construction.

Anyway this expression is as Dominican as it gets and the OP needs to describe the scenario in order to get a proper explanation in English. However, the closest equivalent you gave was using it imperatively: su?ltame en banda and I completely agree with you with the equivalent being 'leave me alone'.

LDG.

My error was to call "soltarse" a reflexive verb in the case of "soltarte en banda". I should've said it's used there as a pronominal verb. A reflexive verb is a pronominal verb but a pronominal verb is not necessarily a reflexive verb. I wasn't very sure about this while posting my reply.

You can say "me lave" to say "i washed myself" but you can also say "te lave" to say "i washed you", so there you have the same verb used reflexively and pronominally falling the action in a person other than the doer. In other words, I erred in my previous post.

I don't agree with you in something you said about the last paragraph, Lesley. I can tell you that the phrase changes radically its meaning when you use it imperatively. In the indicative mode, which is the tense in which the phrase posted by the OP is, we might be in a situation in which the one who has done the "soltar en banda" action did it on his own will, not because he was obliged to do so by the person who was "soltada en banda".

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Mr. Mark

Agreed. Personally, I have my doubts because the OP needs to clarify the scenario in which it was used as I said in my previous post but I thought your imperative usage was the closest in conveying what it 'could' mean in English. Not gospel though. I will wait for a clarification by the OP.

LDG.

M

Mr.Mark

No coger corte

This is a Dominican phrase that finds its closest equivalent in the panhispanic world in the phrase "esto (todo) me resbala". The difference is that the latter is like the opposite of "no coger corte", if it were "coger corte" than it would be a synonim of "esto me resbala" There's a light advertising campaing from Schick (Gillette's competitors in the razors market) that uses this Dominican phrase and you can find several backlights in the main streets of Santo Domingo. The signs read "Yo no cojo corte" or something like that.

"No coger corte" is used negatively and it can has various meanings:

1) "El que no defiende su pueblo es un perro, por eso con Republica Dominicana yo no cojo corte"
He who doesn't defend his fatherland is a dog, that's why I couldn't care more about the Dominican Republic

2) "Mira, no te pases conmigo, que no cojo corte con nadie"
Hey, don't cross the line with me, I don't spare anybody"

3) "Ese jugador dice una cosa hoy y otra ma?ana. Pero eso si, yo no cojo corte con el"
That player says one thing today and another one tomorrow. One thing's for sure: I won't let him fool me.

katie2246

Aug 29, 2005
Lesley D said:
Agreed. Personally, I have my doubts because the OP needs to clarify the scenario in which it was used as I said in my previous post but I thought your imperative usage was the closest in conveying what it 'could' mean in English. Not gospel though. I will wait for a clarification by the OP.

LDG.

Hey guys, I didntt mean to stir up so much controversy, haha. I'm just as confused as you are about the scenario in which "me soltasta en banda" was used. I was talking to somebody (a Dominican, obviously) on MSN and apparently I wasn't responding fast enough and then he said "me soltaste en banda". I figured it was something like "you just left me" o algo as?. But thanks to all of you for your help :rambo:

M

Mr.Mark

katie2246 said:
Hey guys, I didntt mean to stir up so much controversy, haha. I'm just as confused as you are about the scenario in which "me soltasta en banda" was used. I was talking to somebody (a Dominican, obviously) on MSN and apparently I wasn't responding fast enough and then he said "me soltaste en banda". I figured it was something like "you just left me" o algo as?. But thanks to all of you for your help :rambo:

There you go. I think you can't get a better translation than "you just left me".

I learn a lot from Lesley and I think that these types of discussions are welcome here. ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.