Jul 12, 2005
The Flight: Great! Booked through Vacation Express. MD-80
Operated by Trans-Meridian Airlines. Flew from
Dulles to POP with 1 hour layover in Orlando. Cost
about 60% of regular scheduled flight! Really have no
complaints.

The Rental Car: BEST rental experience we?ve ever had. Without
Question?I highly recommend PRESTIGE car
Rental! TIM is THE MAN!! American living in DR.
Manages Prestige. Rates were some of the best
I found and the service was beyond compare.
He met us at POP with a nice Suzuki Vitara, with
The A/C crankin and?get this?.a bucket full of
iced-down bottled water and PRESIDENTES!
Return went smoothly as well. Tim and his guys
are the way to go.

The drive to Las Terrenas: Had a blast. DR has no traffic
laws?just traffic Suggestions!
Kinda like driving in a video
game with a little pinball thrown-in
for good measure! Cars, scooters
and mopeds with 5-6 riders, guaguas and trucks swerving, duckin & divin everywhere! As I said?A Blast!

Wyndham Viva Samana?Las Terrenas?.actually Coson Beach:
All-in-all?a really nice experience. Got there late on Friday
having booked a standard room. Either they had lots of
open space or just the opposite and all standards were full
because we were immediately upgraded to a Junior Suite.
This is a significant upgrade because the suites are duplex
cabanas rather than hotel-style rooms. After 3 nights we
made a comment to the English-speaking concierge Jennifer (a mighty fine young lady in every way) that the A/C unit was
making a rather loud clunking noise at times. That evening
we were moved to a nicer Junior Suite that was front-line to
the beautiful beach! The food in the buffet restaurant was
OK?nothing to brag about?then again this stay shouldn?t
be about the food. Oscar, (the manager?) of the Cacao was
Great! Much like Jennifer?he went above and beyond the
the call to make our stay most pleasant. The other two restaurants were also OK. Again?you?re not here for great food! Room was nice. Recently renovated and obviously done quickly and on a budget. Not spectacular quality but considering the staff, location, and views?it is well worth the cost! Never got around to seeing any of the shows?can?t comment on them. In summary?the BEACH IS GREAT?the STAFF IS GREAT?the food is OK?I?D GO BACK WITHOUT HESITATION!!

Cascada El Limon: WOW?The photos and descriptions don?t come close to describing it. Parada Manzana?Antonia?GREAT FOOD and hospitality!

PLAYA RINCON: NIRVANA?Never been happier! Not saying anymore because I don?t want another soul to go there. It?s mine?STAY THE HELL AWAY!!!!

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
The Best Of The Dr

I have to agree with you, I have been there 3 times in the past 4 years. I make a point of finding a few days to get away from PC to go, it is very much the opposite and more authentic Dominican even with all the French run hotels and eateries. I stayed up in Punta Bonita, northwest of town,at the Atlantis, a little out of the way but remote and quiet, that's what I was looking for, and will return this year for a longer stay. I have heard alot of good things about Las Galeras, would like to check it out next trip.
Great trip report.....sounds like you had FUN
Next time, try flying into Las Terrenas airport...what a trip!!! I did hear the new airport up north should be open, might be a option next time around

gagilmer

Jul 12, 2005
It was beyond description. BEAUTIFUL area. Viva staff is great. Beach is beautiful. Saw the 1000+ year old tree near Punta Bonita. It is awe-inspiring...if you want to know how to get there...PM and I will give directions...quite easy as it is just before Punta Bonita. Spent a day moving from Punta Bonita to Playa Bonita & back to Playa Coson and Viva. Only a few miles but lots of variance in beach. It was great...however the 1:45 drive to Playa Rincon is more than worth it. I cannot come close to putting Rincon into words. Conde Nast says one of 10 best in Carribean...that is an understatement...Wait A Minute...It was terrible...Stay The Hell Away...It's Mine!!!!

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
gagilmer said:
It was beyond description. BEAUTIFUL area. Viva staff is great. Beach is beautiful. Saw the 1000+ year old tree near Punta Bonita. It is awe-inspiring...if you want to know how to get there...PM and I will give directions...quite easy as it is just before Punta Bonita. Spent a day moving from Punta Bonita to Playa Bonita & back to Playa Coson and Viva. Only a few miles but lots of variance in beach. It was great...however the 1:45 drive to Playa Rincon is more than worth it. I cannot come close to putting Rincon into words. Conde Nast says one of 10 best in Carribean...that is an understatement...Wait A Minute...It was terrible...Stay The Hell Away...It's Mine!!!!
Thanks for the offer, I have seen the tree, It is awesome! There is another similar in Jarabacoa. I think this year I will check out more of Samana, Ricon is on the list. Did you see the section of beach that is a cove on the way to Playa Bonita? Awesome beach, probably the best of the DR.

gagilmer

Jul 12, 2005
Bonita

We drove down the Playa Bonita road off of the rode to Las Terrenas. Then west along the beach to Viva which is just up from Playa Bonita so if the area you're refering to is there...yes. Did not go east towards Las Ballenas so if it is that way...no. Plan on spending the day at Rincon and grab a lunch at Minin's which is right there at the east end of the beach. One of the best meals we've ever had...definitely the best fin-fish we've ever eaten.

Axelar

Jul 28, 2004
Too Late!!

Sorry, I already claimed Playa Rincon. There are some recent pictures I took in the gallery section from this past winter. It definitely is an incredible place. It's one of those places to see before you die (or gets developed).

Did you try the "restaurante tipico" at the end of the beach? Delicious!

Axe

ESOLteacher

Dec 14, 2004
On its way to development - Playa Rincon area

Axelar said:
Sorry, I already claimed Playa Rincon. There are some recent pictures I took in the gallery section from this past winter. It definitely is an incredible place. It's one of those places to see before you die (or gets developed).

Axe

I hate to tell you, but when we drove from Las Galeras to Playa Rincon, we saw tons of signs for No Tresspassing or For Sale and they all had a (718) area code - that would be Brooklyn. I only hope that it is a New Yorican Dominican that stands to clean up and not just another nouveau American Real Estate wannabe.

In either event, most of the road down to the beach was spoken for and I predict that will be a private enclave very very soon. Ugh. Boohoohoo. :cry:

Axelar

Jul 28, 2004
I've seen those signs too...for a few years now. It's from someone in the Bronx (I was told by locals). You're talking about property on the way TO the beach. A lot of it is Arcilla and Caliche (clay and rock) which isn't of much use. There are many more Euros (mostly French & Italian) than Americans out that way. Don't sweat it...the road you took to get to the beach is a right of way.

Axe

gagilmer

Jul 12, 2005
Lunch On Playa Rincon

Ate lunch at Ruby's first day and Minin's second day. Ruby's was good...Minin's was great.

gagilmer

Jul 12, 2005
Lunch On Playa Rincon

Axelar said:

Axe

Ate lunch Ruby's first day and Minin's second day. Ruby's was good...Minin's was great.