Staying in Bahia Principe how easy to get around? (to surfy and local bars etc!)

aoife

Aug 9, 2005
hi!
my two friends and I (all nineteen year old girls) are going away to the DR on the 24th of this month. The only hotel left was the Bahia Principe, but we want to avail of the sea and learn how to surf, do you know how easy/difficult it is to get to cabarete and rent surf stuff and learn how to surf without staying in one of the surf hotels? and then the price approximation? We also intend to have a brilliant time, any hot spots we should go to day or night time?! We're all up for a laugh and just want a brilliant holiday!!!
thanx! :pirate: ;) :lick:
Even though it is an all inclusive place - most affordable for us students who only earn cash in the summer, I would love to make it as local as possible and not stick out like a touristy sore thumb, i've been an expat for a long time in different places and thats the way you really see a place, so any ideas are welcome!!!

Last edited:

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You can get to Cabarete easily and very cheap. Just go out of the Hotel and flag down one of the small buses that say Rio-San Juan to Puerta Plata. Tell him Cabarete and make sure you get off there. It will be about 50 Rd, and take about an hour.

Once you are in Cabarete there are many people that speak English, if you have no Spanish. They will be glad to help you. The best place to surf is between Cabarete and Sosua, about 5 minutes past Cabarete. Again, just ask.

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
SKY said:
The best place to surf is between Cabarete and Sosua, about 5 minutes past Cabarete. Again, just ask.

You mean Encuentro? That's 5 minutes before Cabarete, unless there's a spot I don't know about on the other side of Cabarete??

Stay well,
Amy

P.S. aoife - do a few searches on Cabarete and Puerto Plata - I'm sure you'll find a lot of information that could prove helpful.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Cabarete from Punta Cana...approx. 9 hours by road! Or Air Santo Domingo roundtrip from PC-Puerto Plata...last year it was USD$160! And then fromn the POP airport to Cabarete...I dont think this is an option when on a vacation with a fairly tight budget and time constraints!
Go and enjoy the area...you have a disco on site at BP and then there is Pacha at the RIUs next door (will need to take a cab, wouldnt walk at night).
Other discos you may want try...Areito at Tropical Princess and Mangu at Flamenco...again, by cab approx. USD$10 each way from your resort. This is not really an area where you get a good feel for the DR way of life...most Dominicans working in the Bavaro hotels/area live in Higuey and beyond, so a good hour from this resort type area. If you want to try some "local" cuisine, you can venture out to one of the many "Dominican type restaurants" (comedors) in Bavaro.
Remember, stay street smart!!!!

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Sorry, didnt know which BP you were referring to, I shouldnt have just assumed!!!!!!!!! I guess I have been reading so much about the BP in PC lately, my head was just there!!!! ;)

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The place that I am talking about is between Cabarete and Sosua, I am sure there are others.

TimInDR

Jun 4, 2005
www.prestigecarrentals.com
As far as surfing goes, Encuentro is the place to be. There are 3 (or maybe 4) surfing schools set up there and it is also where the locals go.

Encuentro (coming from your hotel) is about five minutes past Cabarete behind a resort/aparta-hotel called "Coconut Palms Resort"... but any cab driver can probably get you there if you just tell them Playa Encuentro.

On second thought, make sure that your cab driver knows exactly where it is, because it's not the easiest place to get to, even if you know it is behind the Coconut Palms.

How easy is it to rent stuff? Very. When you get to Encuentro they will offer you lessons and/or rentals. Not sure of prices. They are typical surfer types who I found to be very friendly and non-pushy.

There are no real "hot spots" near Bahia Principe that I know of. Cabarete is the closest thing happening, but the night life there----again, in my experience----is great. Starts around 11/midnight and goes all night long.

If you don't speak spanish, you will stick out like a touristy green thumb, but by far, you will not be the only one.

Cabarete is very laid back and friendly place. Should be a great time.

Keep your guard up, though. Three 19 year old females will attract a LOT of attention from all types.

Tim

aoife

Aug 9, 2005
Thanks!

Wow guys thanks so much for all your help keep it coming!!!! didnt expect such quick response! Where are you all from? What's the weather like at the moment too? I'm so excited!
PS no I'm not the aoife from NY, but would it be better if I was? (I can pretend!)
Apparently the hotel does buses to cabarete and sosua once a day, so it should be easy for us to get there! and then we could prob stay out for the night and taxi home.... Well then I'll learn some spanish! only have 2 and a half weeks but I'll try my best! (Dunno about the others though!)
anyhoo, thanks! and keep the replies coming, you're a very friendly bunch on this website! ;)
oh one more thing, when i'm changing my money from euros should i do that in ireland or in DR? and should i change it to pesos (specific name), or dollars? are there banks there or machines, i really know nothing about that sorta thing...

Last edited:

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
The resort bus

aoife said:
Wow guys thanks so much for all your help keep it coming!!!! didnt expect such quick response! Where are you all from? What's the weather like at the moment too? I'm so excited!
PS no I'm not the aoife from NY, but would it be better if I was? (I can pretend!)
Apparently the hotel does buses to cabarete and sosua once a day, so it should be easy for us to get there! and then we could prob stay out for the night and taxi home.... Well then I'll learn some spanish! only have 2 and a half weeks but I'll try my best! (Dunno about the others though!)
anyhoo, thanks! and keep the replies coming, you're a very friendly bunch on this website! ;)
The resort bus is way overpriced at $400RD pesos per person. You can do better with your $1200RD pesos for the three of you. Just bargain, bargain, bargain; never get into the taxi until you reach an agreement and don't pay anything until you reach your final destination.

Gregg

Gregg

aoife

Aug 9, 2005
FireGuy said:
The resort bus is way overpriced at $400RD pesos per person. You can do better with your $1200RD pesos for the three of you. Just bargain, bargain, bargain; never get into the taxi until you reach an agreement and don't pay anything until you reach your final destination.

Gregg

Gregg
It advertises this bus that goes once a day i assumed it was free it didnt state otherwise? its not an outing or anything, just transport.... 9 days to go, so excited! cant wait!!!!
PS, If anyone is reading this and knows what the weather's like around this time of year or has some sort of somewhat reliable prediction pleeease tell me! hope i bump into some of u while i'm there you all seem very nice!

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
aoife said:
It advertises this bus that goes once a day i assumed it was free it didnt state otherwise? its not an outing or anything, just transport.... 9 days to go, so excited! cant wait!!!!
PS, If anyone is reading this and knows what the weather's like around this time of year or has some sort of somewhat reliable prediction pleeease tell me! hope i bump into some of u while i'm there you all seem very nice!
NOT FREE.

$400RD pesos per person as per e-mail from the resort Thu 21/07/2005 11:40 AM when checking for another inquiry on another board.

Good luck.

Gregg