The word "sankie"

Victor Laszlo

Bronze
Aug 24, 2004
Do Dominicans use and understand the word "sankie"? It's all over this board, of course, and I've heard it from Anglos and Euros in the DR. I can't recall ever hearing it from a Dominican, though, unlike "tigre" or "mafioso". If I said "sankie" to the average Dominican, would they know what I meant? If not, is there some equivalent Dominican word or expression?

project9

May 29, 2004
Yep, the average dominican knows what a sankie is ... in fact i think we were the ones who invented the word and you gringos heard it from us.

MoReNiTa GuApA

Oct 8, 2004
Interesting Fact (i think)

I just learned from a friend that in Jamaica they have a similar word. It is SANFI. Same definition of Sankie and almost spelt the same.

MG

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
MoReNiTa GuApA said:
I just learned from a friend that in Jamaica they have a similar word. It is SANFI. Same definition of Sankie and almost spelt the same.

MG
Perhaps the difference is that the San-Fi, just wants a bit of ficky ficky, whereas the San-Ky wants the key to you heart, car, house, safety deposit box.......

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
It's definitely a Dominican word/term

It's always good to save newspaper articles of interest. Last year el Listin Diario did a write up on 'sankies' and their MO. Here it is for those of you who are interested. BTW I am not familiar with any other synonymous terms that may be used in the Caribbean.

sanky- panki

Last edited:

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
I've also on occasion heard them called hanki-pankis....

altho this is rare.
When we first started visiting the DR they were just called 'solteros' (meaning single) and some resorts even had an 'office' with soltero on the door.

That became the 'animacion' office in future years and the rest is history!!:D

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Sankie Panky!

The right way is Sanky Panky. It comes from Hanky Panky. The easiest way to say it is Sankie. EVERYONE that I know, in the DR, knows what a sankie is.

But if they have a family member who is a sankie, they would tell you that they do not know what a sankie is.

WebDev

Jan 1, 2002
samana.net
Sankie

The word SANKIE

Last year in Barcelona, heard the word from a couple of musicians taking a break between gigs.
They were Gypsies and talking in their own language, further investigating, found out SANKIE it's a expresion use by them to say: "I don't belive you" or "Are you serious?"
One of them was using the word quite often.
Not sure of spelling, but sound exactly as SANKIE.

BTW they did not know what a Dominican SANKIE is. When I describe what's a SANKIE, they reply: "Sankie!"(Are you serious?)

And this is my contribution on the continue search for etymology of the word SANKIE.

WebDev

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
In Greece they use the word ?Kamaki?. I am not sure of the spelling, but these guys are good. Plenty of tears at the end when they connect with a Gringa.