Can some one Help Please

alankurdusa

Aug 15, 2005
Hello every one... :)
I'm planing to visit DR in 10 day from now, and I would like to go to a town called Neiba where a friend of mine lives, my question is, how can I get to a town called Neiba with out getting lost some simple directions if possible, (note: I will start from the car rental close to the airport) and how long it will take me to get there.

Thank you,
Alan

alankurdusa

Aug 15, 2005
SDQ airport

Dragonfly32837 said:
Which airport? They have several.
Thank you for your respond, I will land in (Santo Domingo Las Americas Airport), I will land there around 2:28pm do you think I will make it to neiba before it gets dark, because I don't like to drive at night.

Thank you,
Alan

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
From the west side...............

...........of Santo Domingo, you should count on a 4 to 4-1/2 hour drive to Neyba. It could take you another hour or more to get from the airport to that part of Santo Domingo.

Take the highway towards St. Cristobal..........follow signs to BARAHONA (which will be further than you need to go, but most signs will show Barahona.)

You will be going through towns such as Bani, and Azua along the way. There is really only one route. Once you go through Azua, continue about 1 to 1-1/2 hours in the wilderness and then once you are at a "military" roadblock, ask from there.................you'll be taking a right turn and then "good luck".

We have to make that trip twice a year from Puerto Plata and we call it our "trip to hell and back".

alankurdusa

Aug 15, 2005
could you give more info.

POP Bad Boy said:
...........of Santo Domingo, you should count on a 4 to 4-1/2 hour drive to Neyba. It could take you another hour or more to get from the airport to that part of Santo Domingo.

Take the highway towards St. Cristobal..........follow signs to BARAHONA (which will be further than you need to go, but most signs will show Barahona.)

You will be going through towns such as Bani, and Azua along the way. There is really only one route. Once you go through Azua, continue about 1 to 1-1/2 hours in the wilderness and then once you are at a "military" roadblock, ask from there.................you'll be taking a right turn and then "good luck".

We have to make that trip twice a year from Puerto Plata and we call it our "trip to hell and back".

Thank you for your replay, but could you tell me why you call it trip to hell and is it dangerous to travel at night also is safe to stop in the towns and ask for directions

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
alankurdusa said:
Thank you for your replay, but could you tell me why you call it trip to hell and is it dangerous to travel at night also is safe to stop in the towns and ask for directions

1. DON'T even think of driving at night.
2. Make sure you have a FULL tank of gas when you leave AZUA cause you won't find much in the way of gas after that.
3. "why you call it trip to hell"...............cause it is.
4. As far as the trip goes...........you'd be better off NOT GOING and say you did.

alankurdusa

Aug 15, 2005
Look like it's pretty Dangerous

Wow, look like it is very dangerous, but I have to go any way my G.F. lives there in a little village close to Neiba, do you think I can make it to Neiba before it get dark if I start my trip around 3:30PM

Thanx,
Alan

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
A. Have a Cellphone with a few key numbers and portable GPS!
B. Hire a driver and not worry about a flat tire in the middle of NOWHERE.
C. Be a hero, and ignore all of the sensible advice you got for FREE on DR1!

alankurdusa

Aug 15, 2005
Where to stay

Which hotel is safe and clean and not very expensive, also I want to have some fun in the capital I will stay for the night only and be leaving first thing in the morning, some help guys.

I really appreciate every ones help

alankurdusa

Aug 15, 2005
where to stay

alankurdusa said:
Wow, look like it is very dangerous, but I have to go any way my G.F. lives there in a little village close to Neiba, do you think I can make it to Neiba before it get dark if I start my trip around 3:30PM

Thanx,
Alan
Which hotel is safe and clean and not very expensive, also I want to have some fun in the capital I will stay for the night only and be leaving first thing in the morning, some help guys.

I really appreciate every ones help

jeffreymb

Aug 15, 2005
When I saw this thread I just knew I had to finally register and stop being a lurker on this forum! The southwest part of the DR has a very special place in my heart. I lived in the village of Mella, very close to Neyba, for six weeks. It was a prgram with my college in the US, and I got to stay with a Dominican family and do lots of volunteer work, teaching English, and just having a blast. Please, do not be afraid to venture to this part of the country because of the remarks about "safety" on this thread. I feel so much safer there than in the capital. This part of the country is one of the poorer areas, but I met some of the nicest people you will ever meet anywhere! Talk about hospitality, I could go on and on but I will spare you the read. We could learn a lot from these people. Far from Hell...although the temperatures may make it seem like you are getting pretty close! Do you really need to rent a car? That seems like a hassle to me. There are busses that go straight from Santo Domingo to Neyba, and leave every hour or so. A lot cheaper and probably much easier on the nerves. Sorry, I don't have recommendations for lodging in SDQ.

Gee, just typing this up makes me want to go visit friends there! Can I come with you? ;)

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Jeffreymb, great first posting!

I think the other posters were warning Alankurdusa about the dangers of driving in the DR and not the dangers in Neyba (I'm guessing it's not spelled Neiba). Alankurdusa, you may want to do a search on DR1 for some other threads dealing with driving in the DR.

Your suggestion about taking the bus to Neyba rather than driving sounds like an excellent suggestion. I'm not at all familiar with the area, but I have a feeling that since Neyba is not in the tourist area, and it is where his girlfriend lives, that he may be able to hire a car and driver in Neyba for less than the cost of renting a car.

jeffreymb

Aug 15, 2005
Actually, I just remembered that the bus I took was direct from SD to Duverge...which is very close to Neyba. Which reminds me, there is this gourgeous natural springs/pool in Duverge that you just have to check out. Maybe your girlfriend knows about it. You can get there from the central park in Duverge if you ask one of the motoconchos to take you. The pool itself isn't in town, it's probably a 10 minute ride through some of the most beautiful countryside/farmland I've ever seen. And the water is so cold and fresh! Plus for an entry fee of RD $10 (I think, but then again I knew someone that knew the owner ;) ) you can't go wrong. It's just another one of the examples of the hidden jewels in the DR that are off the beaten track. You won't see any white people there! Anyone else on this board ever been there?

alankurdusa

Aug 15, 2005
Thanx

Thank you every one, you all being very helpful, I have decided to drive a car down there, but any advice with things not to do there...

Thanx alot,

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
alankurdusa said:
Thank you every one, you all being very helpful, I have decided to drive a car down there, but any advice with things not to do there...
I don't know why you are asking for more advice, considering you ignored the advice about driving.

BTW, assuming you leave the airport at 3:30 and you drive non-stop you will get there about 8:00-9:00 (according to POP Bad Boy time-frame). That means you will be driving in the dark for 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours, longer if you make any pit stops or leave the airport later.