Utilities:self sufficiency

gneie

Aug 15, 2005
I am planning on building a home on the Samana peninsula in about 4 years and would like to make it relatively self sufficient. Are there Dominican businesses that can provide advanced septic systems, water purification systems, and wind and/or solar power generation systems, or should I expect to have to import them?

gneie

Aug 15, 2005
P.s.

Since posting the original, I've read the Environmental section of the forum, and learned a lot. I'm adding full-spectrum flourescent lighting (easier on the eye than cool-white) and propane refridgeration to my list. I was surprised that solar water heating was not discussed.

Wonderdog

Apr 25, 2005
gneie said:
Since posting the original, I've read the Environmental section of the forum, and learned a lot. I'm adding full-spectrum flourescent lighting (easier on the eye than cool-white) and propane refridgeration to my list. I was surprised that solar water heating was not discussed.

I can't remember the last time I wanted HOT water in DR...

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
There are a number of people who install solar water heaters in the country. I knew a few in Santiago in the late ninties and imagine they are still in business. They are (were) in the yellow pages. I have also met a few people who built a system themselves. Didn't use the same quality of materials as the established businesses so the life of the system was shorter but they work very well.

When I lived in Bella Vista, Sosua, there as a 55 gallon black plastic tank out back that was above head level and had a fauset you could shower with. I had plenty of hot showers under that thing after a sweaty day at work.

Tom F.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
We have one of those black tanks on the roof. No need for additional hot water and I cannot remember the last time we turned on the hot water cylinder. I do not see the need for a properly installed solar hot water system in the DR. Just get the heights right to get a good gravity flow and plonk one of these black things on a tower or the roof...

gneie

Aug 15, 2005
Wonderdog said:
I can't remember the last time I wanted HOT water in DR...

I surf year round in SoCal waters ranging from 68 to 51 F. But the wife won't go in the water here and always insisted on hot water at the DR hotels. She even took a spring suit to Hawaii where the water is 72 F. She wants the hot water.

gneie

Aug 15, 2005
Chris said:
We have one of those black tanks on the roof. ...

Yes, I noticed them and assumed that that was their function. Seems to be more cost effective than a glassed box w/copper tubing and a circulating pump to get it to the back-up HW heater. Thanks.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
What I did

When I built my house I built a 125 gallon tank on the roof of the bathroom with block. From the tank to the bathroom I used 3 inch PVC pipe running back and forth in 3 feet sections(12 feet of pipe) and painted it black so in the day and early evening I have very hot water. ;) ;) ;)

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Batch Heater

I have a Batch hot water heater as they are known, which is basically the same principal. It is a contained tank that is within a larger half tank that has a clear plastic cover. With this green house system the water comes out almost boiling. I have had it for almost ten years now and it still works great. The idea is so simple. Anyone interested in starting a joint venture producing these I would be very interested. I know where you can get all the building materials in SD.
Hot water cleans one better than cold as it opens the skins pours and cuts the grease better.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Drake said:
I have a Batch hot water heater as they are known, which is basically the same principal.....

Drake, are there any pictures of these around on the internet? I'd like to have a look at one of these. Also, it would be good if you posted something in the environment forum on these water heaters. I'm sure many folks would be interested.

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
Batch hot water heater

Chris said:
Drake, are there any pictures of these around on the internet? I'd like to have a look at one of these. Also, it would be good if you posted something in the environment forum on these water heaters. I'm sure many folks would be interested.

I just did a Google search using "Batch hot water heater" and came with tons of info.