Delta Starting Atl To Sdq

Jun 5, 2004
THE MOSTLY ANTICIPATING ROUTE FOR ALOT OF DOMINICANS IS BEGGINING ON DECEMBER 1ST.

Delta Gives Customers More Flights to 'Land of Merengue'

Service between Atlanta and Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic begins Dec. 1
ATLANTA, Aug. 17, 2005 ? Delta Air Lines? (NYSE: DAL) customers can walk the streets of the oldest city in the New World-and then dance the night away - when the airline begins daily non-stop service to its latest Caribbean destination. On Dec. 1, 2005, Delta will inaugurate the only service between Atlanta and Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic-the historic capital of this Caribbean nation on the island of Hispaniola.
?With this new service, Delta now serves four markets in the Dominican Republic, with daily flights to Santo Domingo from New York-JFK and now Atlanta, plus daily flights from Atlanta to Punta Cana and New York-JFK to Santiago,? said James Sarvis, director-Latin America and Caribbean Region. ?With all of our new and existing service, customers from around the world can make Atlanta-Delta?s largest hub -- their gateway to the Caribbean as well as Latin America.?
Since fall 2004, Delta has added nine new routes to its extensive Caribbean network, for a total of 28 markets served from the United States, including 15 destinations served from the airline?s largest hub in Atlanta. Earlier this month, Delta announced new service from Atlanta to Barbados and Punta Cana. Also, Delta has recently added service to Nassau from Ft. Lauderdale, New York (Kennedy) and Tampa; plus flights between Atlanta and St. Croix; New York-JFK and Santiago, Dominican Republic; and Cincinnati and Montego Bay.
Delta?s new service between Atlanta and Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, effective Dec. 1: Flight
Departs
Arrives

Atlanta at 11:30 a.m.
Santo Domingo at 3:45 p.m.

Santo Domingo at 2:45 p.m.
Atlanta at 5:30 p.m.

NOTE: WAS TAKEN FROM DELTA.COM AND THE SCHEDULE DOESNT LOOK RIGHT. THE PLANE GETS IN AT 345 AND LEAVES TO ATL AT 245?

Visitors will find a myriad of options in this city of many contrasts. A treasure trove of colonial architecture, Santo Domingo's ?Zona Colonial? is perfect for a stroll through history. Enthusiasts can also learn to dance merengue in its many vibrant dance clubs. And no visit would be complete without taking in a baseball game.
Delta will begin its new Santo Domingo service from Atlanta with Boeing 767-300 aircraft.

I GUESS DELTA IS DOING VERY GOOD IN THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC SINCE THEY ARE OPENING SO MUCH DESTINATIONS.

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
Delta is following US Air and United in fileing for chapter 11 bankruptcy.
They lost 3 billion in the past 3 years and laid off thousands of employees.
If GM and Federal express don't bail them out....you could have a long wait.

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
USAir and United have filed for chapter 11, yet neither has folded. As a matter of fact, USAir has emerged from their filing stronger than before.

Filing Chapter 11 does not necessarily mean that the company will go belly up anytime soon. The 2nd largest airline in terms of passengers worldwide, will not go out of business anytime soon.

With that said, I think Delta's route to SDQ would be more profitable from one of their Florida gateways.

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
NY1 said:
USAir and United have filed for chapter 11, yet neither has folded. As a matter of fact, USAir has emerged from their filing stronger than before.

Filing Chapter 11 does not necessarily mean that the company will go belly up anytime soon. The 2nd largest airline in terms of passengers worldwide, will not go out of business anytime soon.

With that said, I think Delta's route to SDQ would be more profitable from one of their Florida gateways.
You could be right, they can continue operation under supervisio of a judge. The selling of Atlantic Southeast, could keep their head above water. They are 14.1 billion in the hole, and stock has fallen to below $2 from $70 in 1999.
The DR can use all the US carriers they can get, with the growing tourism industry.

leromero

Bronze
May 30, 2004
web.mac.com
AA can kiss my white .......

ggn420 said:
You could be right, they can continue operation under supervisio of a judge. The selling of Atlantic Southeast, could keep their head above water. They are 14.1 billion in the hole, and stock has fallen to below $2 from $70 in 1999.
The DR can use all the US carriers they can get, with the growing tourism industry.

And Delta can probably give AA a run for their money. Those grubby little hands at AA can stay from me.

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
leromero said:
And Delta can probably give AA a run for their money. Those grubby little hands at AA can stay from me.
Hahahaha
Buttttt AA won't be going anywhere soon.

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
rellosk, while SDQ has a large tourist base to Boca Chica and Juan Dolio, a good majority of those travelling are going to be locals. While the numbers of Dominicans are growing in that region, it pales in comparison to the numbers in Florida. That market has grown so much that USAir and Spirit have entered it in the last year.
Delta has a large hub in the Central Florida region that they have many connecting flights, yet still pull many of the local Dominicans in the growing region. Perhaps a direct flight from Atlanta into the region, with continuing service to SDQ?

santobonao

Bronze
Jun 3, 2003
www.telemundo.com
ggn420 said:

us air is in BK and they still flying ;)

Latino2002

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
ggn420 said:
Hahahaha
Buttttt AA won't be going anywhere soon.

AA wont go no were anymore...And they were close to do that on 2002.
But they layoff thousand of employees more that any other airline.

If DL file for chaprter 11 or Not...they will continue to explorer other markets.
I been try to get this route for more than 6 years.... Thanks to MR Sarvis Director of Latin America for Delta who always lisent to employees and friends...Delta will always be my Airline.
ggn420....you must be happy to see DR growing as a country....regarles wich airline operate there...

Just my 2 cents....

santobonao

Bronze
Jun 3, 2003
www.telemundo.com
Latino2002 said:
AA wont go no were anymore...And they were close to do that on 2002.
But they layoff thousand of employees more that any other airline.

If DL file for chaprter 11 or Not...they will continue to explorer other markets.
I been try to get this route for more than 6 years.... Thanks to MR Sarvis Director of Latin America for Delta who always lisent to employees and friends...Delta will always be my Airline.
ggn420....you must be happy to see DR growing as a country....regarles wich airline operate there...

Just my 2 cents....

Delta is growing really fast, 4 daily flights to Dominican republic

ATL=SDQ
ATL-PUJ
JFK-STI
JFK-SDQ

Delta should increase SDQ-JFK routes again

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
apdomini100max said:
NOTE: WAS TAKEN FROM DELTA.COM AND THE SCHEDULE DOESNT LOOK RIGHT. THE PLANE GETS IN AT 345 AND LEAVES TO ATL AT 245?

You're assuming the same plane is doing a turn-around. You know what happens when you assume.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
In the case of airlines, bankruptcy rarely means they will be going out of business. Continental has been in and out of bankruptcy twice. Each time emerging as a smaller airline.

There are exceptions to the rule such as Pan Am, Eastern, and TWA (although I think TWA was bought by American while it was in bankruptcy).

Jun 5, 2004
HOWMAR said:
You're assuming the same plane is doing a turn-around. You know what happens when you assume.

Dont really see why they wouldnt use the same plane since delta only has 2 flights to sdq and the times do not coordinate. Unless they have a new destination or fly a plane with no passangers just to leave at a specific time.

ATLDominican

Aug 18, 2005
DL 1-Dec schedule shows the ATL flight arriving at 345pm and the JFK flight arriving at 346pm. The JFK flight departs at 505pm. Yet the ATL flight departs at 245pm.

Something isn't right about all this.

And something else that isn't right... has anybody checked the fares?

I spot checked round trips on midweek days, for 1-Dec, 1-Feb, 1-Apr and 1-Jun.

1-Dec is priced at $428 US, 1-Feb at $632 US, 1-Apr and 1-Jun at ***$ 828 US***.

I guess when you're the only airline on a route, you can charge what you want.

Personally I want to see DL *and* AA go head to head from ATL, with DL making an intermediate stop in MCO and AA in MIA. Then I wonder how that would affect fares.

By the way, the Latino y Hispanic population of Georgia, and especially metro ATL is exploding. The Dominican community in ATL was estimated at less than 1,000 in 1995, around 2,000 in 2000, and the latest figures I saw from the Chamber of Commerce suggest a Dominican population in ATL of close to 5,000.

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
Not sure what schedule you're looking at, but here is the SDQ-JFK schedule:

Delta 524 Santo Domingo (SDQ) 5:05pm New York-Kennedy (JFK) 8:01pm

As for the Atlanta flt:

Delta 1663 Santo Domingo (SDQ) 2:45pm Atlanta (ATL) 5:30pm

Latino2002

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
By the way, the Latino y Hispanic population of Georgia, and especially metro ATL is exploding. The Dominican community in ATL was estimated at less than 1,000 in 1995, around 2,000 in 2000, and the latest figures I saw from the Chamber of Commerce suggest a Dominican population in ATL of close to 5,000.[/QUOTE]

Last time someone told me we are more than 10,000 is Atlanta metro.

leromero

Bronze
May 30, 2004
web.mac.com
Atlanta

Latino2002 said:
By the way, the Latino y Hispanic population of Georgia, and especially metro ATL is exploding. The Dominican community in ATL was estimated at less than 1,000 in 1995, around 2,000 in 2000, and the latest figures I saw from the Chamber of Commerce suggest a Dominican population in ATL of close to 5,000.

Last time someone told me we are more than 10,000 is Atlanta metro.[/QUOTE]

As I was driving in to work this morning in Atlanta I was surprised to see a little dominican flag hangning from the rearview mirror on a car behind me. Just brought home how really diverse Atlanta is.