Re: Prostitution Please

K

Kozy

In Response To Karen;

As a nurse working with AIDS patients,the subject of S.T.D.s is obviously a very real and very emotional issue for you.However, the condescending nature of your response is unwarented and displays clearly your own digust and hatred for any and all males on the earth who seek the company of prostitutes.How could anyone NOT know about AIDS and condoms? Its the premier health problem in the world and the focus of media attention world wide. If you knew the DR well (which I am guessing you dont),you would know that even in this small,desperately poor third world country, there is a major push by the gov. to inform the people, including huge billboards along every major highway in the country. However, you can lead a horse to water but you cant make him drink. Some of the most compasionate, spiritual, honest people I have ever met in my life are working girls, particularly those from the DR. To promote safe sex is very admirable. For an American to condemn anyone participating in prostitution in the DR(which I perceive you to be doing)is classic Attitude Americano; we know what is best for everyone in the world on every conceivable subject.

Respectfully Kozy

con Dios siempre

A

A. Nony Mouse

Kozy,

I couldn't have said it any better myself.

A. Nony

A

Ady

Re: Prostitution Please,Something missing here

Where is Karen posting? Ady

S

Susanne

Hi Ady,

Karen's posting is almost at the bottom of the present list - along with a large amount of postings on the same subject. One of the reasons that Karen is upset, is a comment stating, that if her brother in law (who infected her sister and her sisters little baby with HIV) had been happy at home, he wouldn't have had sex with a stranger in the first place. A callous remark like that would have gotten me very upset as well. Is her sister supposed to think that it was her fault? And is it only unhappy people that have sex with strangers? I don't think so.

By the way, Kozy: I agree with you on your point of view on prostitutes, they deserve respect, and I have no trouble with their trade, neither do I feel threatened by it. Why should anyone? However, even if almost everyone by now should know of AIDS and HIV and safe sex, some people seem to prefer to run a risk - feeling "macho" doing so - and some are just naive enough to think that AIDS is something you can see on the outside or detect in a person by the way he/she is. Don't ask me why - as you say, there has been no shortage of warnings.

Regards, Susanne

N

Natasha

I will probably live to regret getting into this, but this issue is much too complex. Many people assume the attitude that it is there and it will never disappear, and since it will never disappear, then the better thing to do is to protect yourself. I agree with this. The cold hard truth is that prostitution exists because many women have not been given the opportunity to do something else. It is very simple, women have been treated unequally, educationally, and economically throughout humankind. Now of course this is nothing new that I am saying, and I know you all know this. Ask any prostitute what she/he would rather do: prostitute her/himself or be a teacher, nurse, lawyer...the answer would be very clear. I don't judge any woman that has to go into prostitution, I have not walked in her shoes. I am against prostitution because it is a clear product of *inequality* in society.

Natasha

L

Lorenzo

Kozy - please, please don't classify all American's the same way. Remember, we have the religious right here. The HIV tragedy is, as you say, worldwide - some folks have their heads in the sand and consider it the wrath of God. Simply put, these are stupid, insensitive self-righteous people. Have a great day, and best of luck to you.

D

Dave

Legalize Prostitution

I do not agree that prostitution is a "clear" inequality in society. Prostitution is the same as any other business, it is based on supply and demand. If all prostitutes were were suddenly able to be teachers, the demand for prostitutes would rise and then it would be more profitable to be a prostitute and thus more people (men and women) would find it more appealing to prostitute themselves. On the otherhand, if there was no demand for prostitution, there wouldn't be any prostitutes.

Also, I have never and would never seek sex from a prostitute, however, I believe prostitution will always exist and legalizing prostitution would minimize most of the problems associated with this profession.

N

Natasha

Your remark was expected

I still believe in what I said. You have your opinion and I have mine. Like I said before, it is much too complex. There are no clear answers.

Have a good day, Natasha

C

C. Stering

Re: Legalize Prostitution (question)

In the Dominican Rep. just how would legalizing prostitution change anything about the demeaning business of selling one's body? . . .

. . . CES

C

C. Stering

Re: Prostitution Please (Not!)

>>> Some of the most compasionate, spiritual, honest people I have ever met in my life are working girls, particularly those from the DR. To promote safe sex is very admirable. <<<

And I'm just guessing here, are we to believe that all these "honest working girls/ 'putas' are all HIV free? . . .

. . . CES

N

Natasha

Re: Legalize Prostitution (question)

Thank you! My point exactly.

Natasha

A

arcoiris

I agree with Natasha that the vast majority of prostitutes, male and female, have had backgrounds of deprivation and abuse suffered such that the person feels there is no other way for them to succeed in getting the things they feel they need. Prostitutes themselves are at very high risk to be used, misused, abused, and victimized dangerously, and they take these risks because they feel there is nothing better for them. Legalizing it would help the johns feel justified, but wouldn't help much the lot of the prostitute who feels the only things (s)he has to offer is his or her body.

M

Magie

I hate to see beautiful Dominican women being exploited by thier own families. It breaks my heart to see prostitutes trying to get clients on the corner. I visited Saint Thomas two years ago. I saw many Haitians women working on honest jobs- domestic, babysitter, cleaner, street vendor etc. The only women that I sow selling their bodies were Dominican. Dominican women have a horrible reputation around the world. Some European countries will search you as soon as they find out that you are Dominican. I am a Dominican myself, and I rather clean the streets than sell my body to discusting dirty men. Dominican families need to teach their doughters that honor is more important than monie. I love the Dominican Republic, and I hate to see their women exploited.

T

Tom

Re: Prostitution Please /fact of life

Magie

Do YOU have an employment solution for these women to feed their children. I'm not picking on you, there are many Dominican girls in the "business" for the easy money, but there are also those trying to feed families due to lack of education etc. The root has to be adressed, education and decent jobs, than the moral issue can be addressed. It's great to ban all he prostitution than you turn to theft and selling drugs. If I knew the solution I would receive the Nobel prize, but

Tom

N

Natasha

The solution just might be...

For the governments of the world to seriously take a proactive approach to educating its people, and creating decent jobs. Of course there is more than sufficient monies to do this, especially for education; it just has to be prioritized differently. So, I see the solution, or part of it at least, right in front of our eyes. Have the govt's of the RD been interested in this? Nah. Will it ever? Not in my lifetime.

Regards,

Natasha

M

Matt

You portray a false image or at least a small fraction. Most men who seek out sex and are willing to pay for it are not dirty or disgusting. In fact, many are wealthy, young, smart, good-looking, and ultimately marry or engage in long term support of these young beautiful Dominican girls. Your ideas are as false as those that try to portray prostitutes as filthy and diseased. I can tell you that Dominican women have an excellent reputation across Europe and the Americas as being especially passionate, affectionate, sexually skilled, and beautiful. A lot enjoy the sex and the really good looking ones don't solicit because their presence at certain places brings many offers from lustful men and they are actually rather picky, often spending days and even weeks with the same man and getting to know them personally. Your description is more akin to a NYC by-the-hour drug-addicted streetwalking scag whore than the typical Dominican women seeking short or long term security in exchange for sex, affection, and love.

Even if the man is fat, old, and ugly, sleeping with him is no different than what his wife endures, and she doesn't seem to mind.

Some women are exploited, and some are the exploitees, convincing gullible men that they have true love and bilking them for every penny possible through deceipt and skill. Some enjoy the financial and free time the trade brings, where they can earn as much in a day as they would working full-time as a house keeper and sometimes will actually enjoy themselves and get emotionally involved or even fall in love with the men they meet.

K

Karen

Re: Prostitution Please /fact of life

TOM

I HAVE A GOOD SOLUTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHY DON'T WE SEND ALL THE DOMINICAN MEN LIVEING IN THE U.S. BACK HOME.TO FEED THERE POOR FAMILYS THAT THEY LEFT BEHINED.CAUSE YOU KNOW THERE ARE A LOT WHO COME TO THE U.S. AND SAY THEY WILL SEND MONEY AND DON'T.AND THEY START HAVEING CHILDREN HERE AND THEY SUPPORT THEM EITHER.THE BOTTON LINE IS WE WOMAN BETTER START WAKEING UP TO THIS!!!!

K

Karen

Re: Legalize Prostitution

WELL, DAVE

IF THATS HOW YOU FEEL ABOUT IT. MAYBE THEY SHOULD PAY LEGALIZE PROSTITUTION TAXES. WE ALL HAVE TO PAY THEM WHY SHOULD'T THEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

R

Richard

I agree 100% with Kozy. When I operated a small hotel inSosua, I met many of the girls and they were always polite and agreeable. i realize some of them are not the most honest, but then, that would be the same anywhere in the world. when you combine a lack of education and opportunity prostitution, will always occur, particularly in a developing nation. a few years ago a doctor friend of mine in Sosua and a co-worker spent many an evening in the discos handing out condoms. She also provided them in large supply to me to distribute to theguests who were so inclined. It's easy to be high and mighty when one doesn't live the life or have anty contact with it.

G

GabyCruz

Folks, please, wake up, Prostitution exist since the beginning of time, I agree with the suply and demand theory, however when it comes to education, most of my people in the Urban cities are over educated however in DR a prostitute in a giving night, make twice much than a Dr in a month, My country is full of lots of brainy professional that have to come to US and start as a dish washer. I make more money ovehere, working maintenance services than a Doctor make ovethere in a month, sometimes we girls do not feel exploited being nice to a gentleman for a few dollars,. Prostitutes serve differents functions.Sometimes they are counselors Psicologist, friends sexuals provider,and crying pillows. so Please they are needed lets give them a brake.