Santiago airport cab for non-spanish speaker

thomasfrank

Mar 27, 2005
Hey,
My brother is coming to visit this saturday, arriving in Santiago at 5am. I am taking Caribe Tours from the capital to meet him and will arrive around 8am. We?re both going to go up to cabarete after he arrives. Ideally, he would meet me at the bus stop in Santiago so that we could go straight on to Sosua on the same bus without me having to stop in Santiago to get him at the airport. Problem is, he speaks no Spanish and I don?t want him to get fleeced by the cabbies or end up at the wrong bus stop. Does anyone have any advice on this? Are there english speakers at the airport that might be willing to help negotiate a cab for him and make sure he gets to the right bus stop? Or, even better, does anyone know an english speaking cabbie in Santiago that could pick him up for a reasonable price. Thanks a lot,

Thomas

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
thomasfrank said:
Hey,
My brother is coming to visit this saturday, arriving in Santiago at 5am. I am taking Caribe Tours from the capital to meet him and will arrive around 8am. We?re both going to go up to cabarete after he arrives. Ideally, he would meet me at the bus stop in Santiago so that we could go straight on to Sosua on the same bus without me having to stop in Santiago to get him at the airport. Problem is, he speaks no Spanish and I don?t want him to get fleeced by the cabbies or end up at the wrong bus stop. Does anyone have any advice on this? Are there english speakers at the airport that might be willing to help negotiate a cab for him and make sure he gets to the right bus stop? Or, even better, does anyone know an english speaking cabbie in Santiago that could pick him up for a reasonable price. Thanks a lot,

Thomas

I wish I could help. I only know spanish speaking cabbies. It shouldn't be that difficult to get to Caribe Tours from the airport though. The cab ride is about 20 minutes and it cost 450 pesos which is 16 or 17 bucks if you calculate the dollar at 28. All he needs to say is caribe tours and they'll know. Just tell him to set the price before he gets on the cab. Another thing he can do is ask someone that speaks both english and spanish on the airplane to negotiate the cab ride for him. I did this for two guys that were going to Playa Dorada the last time I visited (two months ago).

Good luck.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
English Speaking ride

Contact Rocio Valerio:palomalinda@hotmail.com for a fair priced ride from STI.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Also,

El Tigre said:
I wish I could help. I only know spanish speaking cabbies. It shouldn't be that difficult to get to Caribe Tours from the airport though. The cab ride is about 20 minutes and it cost 450 pesos which is 16 or 17 bucks if you calculate the dollar at 28. All he needs to say is caribe tours and they'll know. Just tell him to set the price before he gets on the cab. Another thing he can do is ask someone that speaks both english and spanish on the airplane to negotiate the cab ride for him. I did this for two guys that were going to Playa Dorada the last time I visited (two months ago).

Good luck.
There are prices posted on the sign, so you're brother can point to it, just in case the cabbie wants more than the RD450.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
It can help that once the driver is onside with RD$450 you write it down and he signs the paper. Helps them not "forget" at the destination. If you can, keep the bags in the car with you, thus ending the luggage hostage taking ruse, and only pay when all people and luggage are out of the car and in front of the entrance.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
For your information

GO with Rocio and her husband "JJ"

The guy doesn't speak Spanish and how can he get to the Caribe Bus stop in Los Jardines ????(You get off at the first stop in Santiago)

SO: get in touch with Rocio: Phone is809 582 5112 and her cell is 809 357 6047.

Last I looked, they charge $20 to be picked up at the airport and taken to Caribe Tours in Los Jardines.

Hope you can do this in time!!

HB :D:D:D