divorcing sponsor

pride21

May 14, 2005
www.facebook.com
I don't know if this is the right forum, but if a man were to divorce his sponsor in Canada, would he be deported? What if he got re-married immediately after the divorce?

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
You would not be deported if you divorced your sponsor, it happens all the time. However, if the sponsor were malicious, they may try to get the government to deport you. The sponsor knows that they signed an agreement for 3-10 years, depending where they live and what year they sponsored, and they are financially liable for the sponsoree. Therefore, it's not in the best financial interests for the sponsor to divorce, and they may try anything to get the sponsoree deported. As an example, I knew of a very bad Dominican man in Canada...he was only here for the visa, treated the wife like crap, wouldn't work, spent all her money, had tons of girlfriends on the side, mentally abused his spouse (didn't call her by her name, only called her "fat pig"; introduced her to his friends as simply "a friend" not a wife, etc...terrible person), etc. The woman finally had enough, and knew that she'd pay dearly financially if she gave him the boot. After years of putting up with his ways and knowing that she still had many years left in her sponsorship, she called on the help of her brother to rough her up - a lot. Then she went to the hospital. They called the police and she said that her husband beat her. They came out, took a report, and within a couple of months, the Dominican was deported. Pretty extreme, I agree, but she was finally free of this man. He is never allowed to enter Canada again. Big loss to us. :rolleyes: :angry:

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
pride21 said:
I don't know if this is the right forum, but if a man were to divorce his sponsor in Canada, would he be deported? What if he got re-married immediately after the divorce?

As an aside, the government will only deport a person if he is breaking the law or commiting crimes. I think it also has to be rather serious for them to get involved. The government cannot force married couples to stay together just because one sponsored the other, thank goodness. As mentioned above, the sponsor might be quite nervous upon divorcing, because if the sponsorship agreement isn't over yet, and the sponsoree has no financial means of supporting themselves, the sponsor has to pay everything. Also, if the sponsoree collects welfare, the government can come back on the sponsor to repay every penny the sponsoree collected.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
poochie77 said:
what if they have a child together?

It doesn't change anything, other than the fact that the sponsoree may have to pay child support. However, again, I assume that if he is unable/unwilling to pay, it will all fall back on her again, because she is legally financially liable for him. Consider this scenario: Application made in 2000 to sponsor a Dominican male, for argument's sake. He is lazy, will not work, spends all day drinking, and mentally abuses her. She decides to divorce him at all costs, and knows she doesn't have a case for deportation. He can go out, incur tons of debt, go on welfare, and leave Canada. Not only will she be stuck with paying thousands of dollars back to welfare if the government catches up with it, but she will also be responsible for the debt that he's racked up. Not fair, but can very well happen.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
As I understand it, while you sign for the sponsorship, the ability of the government to actually back that up is severly limited. Apparently it has never or rarely been enforced! Might want to look into that.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
planner said:
As I understand it, while you sign for the sponsorship, the ability of the government to actually back that up is severly limited. Apparently it has never or rarely been enforced! Might want to look into that.

I've actually never heard of it being enforced, either, although I have known Dominicans use that as a bargaining tool with their ex. They put the fear into their ex-partner, knowing full well the sponsor will probably give in to financial demands if threatened with welfare.

DianaC

Jan 8, 2005
pride21 said:

If a man were to divorce his sponsor, he will not be deported. He has committed no crime and is not a proven menace to society. His sponsor is still responsible for him for the full term of his sponsorship regardless of whether or not he remarries.

My advice. Take him on a vacation to the DR and leave him there.... consider getting your divorce there while you are at it. Make sure you leave with his PR card though, so he can't come back unbeknownst to you and start claiming welfare or racking up debt. You will be responsible for him/his wellbeing if he is in the country even if you don't know he is back.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
trina said:
After years of putting up with his ways and knowing that she still had many years left in her sponsorship, she called on the help of her brother to rough her up - a lot. Then she went to the hospital. They called the police and she said that her husband beat her. They came out, took a report, and within a couple of months, the Dominican was deported. Pretty extreme, I agree, but she was finally free of this man. He is never allowed to enter Canada again.
I guess two wrongs make it right?

THE GAME

Jul 13, 2005
www.nydailynews.com
trina said:
I've actually never heard of it being enforced, either, although I have known Dominicans use that as a bargaining tool with their ex. They put the fear into their ex-partner, knowing full well the sponsor will probably give in to financial demands if threatened with welfare.

i know this post is about canada,,, but does anyone know
the law for same situation in the USA??

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Some people!

Why go to all the trouble of calling the police, "beating" someone or doing so many "wonderful" things in order to get rid of someone when the only thing that one needed to do was to GET TO KNOW THE PERSON BETTER BEFORE SPONSORING SUCH PERSON, ANY PERSON!!.

SOME can be reformed(even though they are always lurking), SOME can not. As simple as that!.

Last edited:

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Readytogo said:
EXTREME is right, your friend should be arrested for filing a false Police report and fraud for obtaining medical services illegally

I never said she was a friend, either ;) ; not saying I disagree with you at all. Read: I AM NOT DEFENDING HER ACTIONS; I think she was probably in the mindspace that she had nowhere to go...she was mentally beaten down and probably not thinking clearly. She knows that she is finally free of this terrible situation, and I don't think it's dawned on her the terrible thing she's done.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
miguel said:
Why go to all the trouble of calling the police, beating someone or doing so many "wonderful" things in order to get rid of someone when the only thing that one needed to was to GET TO KNOW THE PERSON BETTER BEFORE SPONSORING SUCH PERSON, ANY PERSON!!.

ABSOLUTELY. That's the challenge with long-distance relationships, unfortunately. If the Dominican has an alterior motive for marrying, though, he is going to be on his absolute best behavior until he steps foot onto foreign soil. Sometimes, you can be with someone for a long period of time before seeing a bad side. I was fortunate to have lived with my husband before we married, but that isn't even always enough evidence that things are going to work after you're married and he's moved to your country.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I like the idea of vacationing in the DR!!

That is really the way to go.

Maquiavelian in the best of sneses..:p:p:p

And Trina's case is fine with me....so what. Who will tell? The dumb schitt won't cause he can't read.

Looks like HB's Three Golden Rules for Dating a Dominican are shinier than ever...:D:D:D

HB :ermm:

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Hillbilly said:
And Trina's case is fine with me....so what. Who will tell? The dumb schitt won't cause he can't read.
Someone seems to be getting callous in their old age.:)

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
miguel said:
when the only thing that one needed to do was to GET TO KNOW THE PERSON BETTER BEFORE SPONSORING SUCH PERSON, ANY PERSON!!.

An overly simplistic answer. Are you saying that the 50% divorce rate in Canada and the US can be fixed by "getting to know the person". For whatever the reason, marriages end, but sponsorship survives.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Here we go!

HOWMAR said:
An overly simplistic answer. Are you saying that the 50% divorce rate in Canada and the US can be fixed by "getting to know the person". For whatever the reason, marriages end, but sponsorship survives.
Since YOU are throwing percentages out there, not only that it would help Canada and the US BUT IT WOULD HELP EVERY SINGLE COUNTRY ON THE GLOBE!!!!!. So yea, that is EXACTLY what I am trying to say!.

And, let me add, ANYBODY with a little common sense and logic would know it!. If a "pea brain" like me knows it, anybody can know it also/too!.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
pride21 said:

No hence the HUGE chance the sponsor takes in family class arrangments. The only good thing is there are no accumulated assets to split though the matrimonial home rule may also cause the sponsor to lose 1/2 the house if he or she owns one.

The new spouse has NO obligation to Immigration Canada to pay one cent for the sponsoree. They didn't sponsor them so why should they?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
rellosk said:
Someone seems to be getting callous in their old age.:)

It was kinder than shooting him in the head or cutting off his dick but you would have to walk in her shoes to understand a desparate woman's mind set ;)

PS
I'm referring to the man in Trinas's story NOT Hillbilly. :cross-eye

Last edited: