"Que voy a hacer?" vs. "Que hare yo?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
'Que hare yo' is more melodramatic. 'Que voy a hacer' is the standard way of saying it.

Apologies for leaving out the accents.

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
?Qu? har? yo? Means "What shall (will) I do?

?Qu? hago? Means "What do I do?"

?Qu? voy a hacer? is the most correct.

I'm sure you will do the right thing.
mkohn

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
More correct according to....?

If the question is about grammar:

"qu? voy a hacer" is grammatically correct Spanish. What you hear or what you think you hear is a whole different story.

LDG.

THE GAME said:
agree.

"que voy hacer" is more correct than "que voy a hacer"

Last edited:

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
that's a good question

Lesley D said:
If the question is about grammar:

"qu? voy a hacer" is gramatically correct Spanish. What you hear or what you think you hear is a whole different story.

LDG.
How would you pronounce "a hacer", I think there is a rule in spanish that when a world ends in a vowel and the next word begins in a vowel, you would pretty much merge them together, i.e. me olvidado would be pronounced "meolvidado". My question is do you lengthin the ahh??

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Ricardo,

It should be prononuced but for phonetic reasons the obvious clash of the [a] in "voy a" and "hacer" it appears not to be pronounced. Careful speakers of Spanish will say and write "qu? voy a hacer" with [a] clearly being heard.

Your example below of "meolvidado" is what you may hear in the spoken language but PLEASE don't ever write that. Me he olvidado is the only way.

When in doubt about a rule in Spanish always substitute the word in question with another word. If you were to say: "qu? voy a decir" you would not eliminate [a] so why do it in the example above.

Here is a friendly tip: Spanish grammar rules are flawless. If you understand them or are aware of them you will never go wrong.

LDG.

Ricardo900 said:
How would you pronounce "a hacer", I think there is a rule in spanish that when a world ends in a vowel and the next word begins in a vowel, you would pretty much merge them together, i.e. me olvidado would be pronounced "meolvidado". My question is do you lengthin the ahh??

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Lesley D said:
Ricardo,

It should be prononuced but for phonetic reasons the obvious clash of the [a] in "voy a" and "hacer" it appears not to be pronounced. Careful speakers of Spanish will say and write "qu? voy a hacer" with [a] clearly being heard.

Your example below of "meolvidado" is what you may hear in the spoken language but PLEASE don't ever write that. Me he olvidado is the only way.

When in doubt about a rule in Spanish always substitute the word in question with another word. If you were to say: "qu? voy a decir" you would not eliminate [a] so why do it in the example above.

Here is a friendly tip: Spanish grammar rules are flawless. If you understand them or are aware of them you will never go wrong.

LDG.
mucho gracias para todo,no me olvidar?

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Hay que tener cuidado....

Ricardo,

I waited a few days hoping that you would catch your own errors however, I just would like to point out to you the following:

1) In Spanish it's always 'muchas gracias'. 'Mucho gracias' simply is not a correct grammatical form. It does not exist.

2) 'Gracias para' does not exist either. The only form is 'gracias por xxx'.

LDG.

Ricardo900 said:
mucho gracias para todo,no me olvidar?

Last edited:

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Lesley D said:
Ricardo,

I waited a few days hoping that you would catch your own errors however, I just would like to point out to you the following:

1) In Spanish it's always 'muchas gracias'. 'Mucho gracias' simply is not a correct grammatical form. It does not exist.

2) 'Gracias para' does not exist either. The only form is 'gracias por xxx'.

LDG.
I'm sorry I was out this weekend, y otra vez gracias tanto por todos. :classic:

Last edited:

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
If "Que voy a hacer" is the correct way why is "Que quiero a hacer" is not. The first one takes the preposition but the other don't. Just an observation.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
No lo puedo creer....Stodgord

What kind of a question is that? Of course 'qu? voy a hacer' is correct because the verb 'ir' is a verb of motion primarily therefore the preposition is required. For example 'voy al supermercado', voy a la tienda'. These phrases express movement. That's where the need for the preposition stems from. Secondly, 'ir' is used to express the simple future tense and the preposition accompanies the verb based on my explanation above. The verb 'querer' does not require a preposition because it is not a verb of motion. Therefore your second example is simply not a grammatical form.

LDG.

Stodgord said:
If "Que voy a hacer" is the correct way why is "Que quiero a hacer" is not. The first one takes the preposition but the other don't. Just an observation.

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
Lesley D said:
What kind of a question is that? Of course 'qu? voy a hacer' is correct because the verb 'ir' is a verb of motion primarily therefore the preposition is required. For example 'voy al supermercado', voy a la tienda'. These phrases express movement. That's where the need for the preposition stems from. Secondly, 'ir' is used to express the simple future tense and the preposition accompanies the verb based on my explanation above. The verb 'querer' does not require a preposition because it is not a verb of motion. Therefore your second example is simply not a grammatical form.

LDG.

Thanks Lesley for your explanation. I knew I could count on you. As I have said before, grammar in any language is not my friend. I knew there was some kind of rules between motion and non motion verbs, but when "hacer" came about, I got a little confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.