Visits

mona

Aug 19, 2005
Hi my name is Mona, and I am asking how likely it is to have a single 28 year old man from the Dominican visit me here in Canada. I understand the criteria that has to be met by the consulate, however I would like to know what the reality is of such a visit.Thanks in advance for any info. you have.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
The chances of getting a visa are very low, unless the man is very well off financially.

There have been mady threads discussing this issue, use the search to find some of the more recent threads.

DianaC

Jan 8, 2005
If he meets the criteria...

mona said:
Hi my name is Mona, and I am asking how likely it is to have a single 28 year old man from the Dominican visit me here in Canada. I understand the criteria that has to be met by the consulate, however I would like to know what the reality is of such a visit.Thanks in advance for any info. you have.

If he meets the criteria, there is every possibility that he will receive a visa.

But don't be fooled into thinking that the criteria is documented for all to see. It is more than what you see in the documentation or on the website regarding what is required as part of the process to apply. The criteria is a closely guarded... well, non-published at least.... secret and if he does not measure up, he will be denied. Appeals have been successful, but rarely.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
DianaC said:
If he meets the criteria, there is every possibility that he will receive a visa.

But don't be fooled into thinking that the criteria is documented for all to see. It is more than what you see in the documentation or on the website regarding what is required as part of the process to apply. The criteria is a closely guarded... well, non-published at least.... secret and if he does not measure up, he will be denied. Appeals have been successful, but rarely.
It's my understanding that the Canadian visa requirements are documented. I recall someone talking about a point system in another thread.

DianaC

Jan 8, 2005
For the most part, they are documented, but the Cdn governement holds back certain information. I have it on good authority that they do not publish the minimum wage that a foreigner must be making in their own country to qualify for a visa.

This is so that employers are not coached as to what salary the worker is making when they write the letter for them. Most resort workers do not earn anywhere near that amount of money.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
mona said:

Take zero, subtract ten billion X a google. Those are the odds of success. And do not forget if the immigration officer in Canada has a whiff of something not OK they will refuse entry, hold them in custody and send them back on the next flight. The visa is a permit to try to enter Canada and not a guarantee.

Unless they own a house and have so many ties to the DR to assure retrun they will say no. In 2001 or 2002 Canada issued 202 tourist visas to Dominicans, vs. about 400,000 Canadians going there.

mona

Aug 19, 2005
Re:visits

Thank-You to all who responded. I feel bad that people from the Dominican can't enjoy and experience life as we can. However I will keep trying. I heard of a lady who claims she can get temperary visas for a minimal fee. Any one have insight into this?

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
MOna, do not be taken in by anyone's promise to help you in exchange for money! IT is a con.

Visitors visa are exceptionally hard to get. Especially for a single 28 year old male visiting a female in Canada. Forget about it, do not waste your money.

Rick's statistics are correct. Canada gives out very very few visitors visas. YOu won't get one.

And, in case you were wondering but have not asked, marrying him or being engaged to him will NOT increase your chance of getting any kind of visa.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
planner said:
And, in case you were wondering but have not asked, marrying him or being engaged to him will NOT increase your chance of getting any kind of visa.
That's probably not true. As long as immigration does not view the marriage/engagement as fraudulent (i.e.: for the purpose of obtaining a visa), I am under the impression that they will grant a visa. The process is not a simple process may take a year or more to complete.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Sorry your impression is incorrect. Reality: 99% of these applications are not resulting in visas being issued. That is base on statistics for 2003 / 2004, the last updates available. Most are declined, some are stopped part way through the process by either the sponsor or the applicant and in some cases the individuals cannot keep paying the fees etc....

It is very very difficult to "prove" that these relationships are real.

What helps: if the Dominican in question already has a visa to any other country.

The process can take a very very long time to complete. Once declined there is an appeal process but few peole make use of that.

mona

Aug 19, 2005
contasm said:
Mona, stay away from that lady. Please visit :
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/letter.html

Thank-You for the info. I do plan on living in the Dominican next year sometime, and was only hoping to have him here with me while I tied up loose ends here. However that does not seem possible. Does the fact that I own my own business here have any bearing on the decision to have him here?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
mona said:
Thank-You for the info. I do plan on living in the Dominican next year sometime, and was only hoping to have him here with me while I tied up loose ends here. However that does not seem possible. Does the fact that I own my own business here have any bearing on the decision to have him here?

A decision on vistor's visa is based on how strong his ties are to the DR.

Dominicans that have a good position, business, money and have traveled before don't have a problem getting a visitor's visa.

The letter of invitation spelling out that you will provide for all his needs while in Canada is well and good but it still depends on his strong ties to the DR.

Like Rick said only 202 were issued in 2001- 2002

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
There is a Dominican woman(lotusflower) who has posted on DR1. You should be able to find some posts by her. She is a Dominican that did receive a visitor's visa to Canada and I know of a family that did also. In both case I beleive they already had visitors visa to the USA.
My wife Yris, who is now a Canadian citizen applied to visit before we were married. She had money in the bank(enough by any standards), several houses, land, a business(private school), spoke English and French, educated...etc, and they still refused her a visa. So the probability is very low, I wouldn't say impossible but certainly highly unlikely.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
lotusflower hasn't posted for a while. I wonder how she's doing in norther Ontario?

She already had a 10 year visa to the US when she applied for the Canadian visa. I'm sure that must have helped.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
planner said:
Sorry your impression is incorrect. Reality: 99% of these applications are not resulting in visas being issued....

It is very very difficult to "prove" that these relationships are real.
Wow, 99% not approved! The situation is vastly different from that of the US. It is unusual for a K1/K3 visa to be denied in the US. The government must have some reason to believe the relationship is fraudulent. Proof of a valid relationship is relatively easy; phone records, pictures, airline records, and written correspondence are generally sufficient.

In the US, there are plenty of cases that are denied because of criminal backgrounds, prior rejections, and out and out fraud; but I'm sure that figure in the US is nowhere near as high as 99%.

Thanks for setting me straight.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
rellosk said:
That's probably not true. As long as immigration does not view the marriage/engagement as fraudulent (i.e.: for the purpose of obtaining a visa), I am under the impression that they will grant a visa. The process is not a simple process may take a year or more to complete.

The marriage fake or real won't get a visitor's visa any faster in fact since you have to normally apply for an immigrant/family class while the proposed immigrant is outside the country.

Immigration will consider the request for a visitors visa a ruse meant to get them here and to stay until the decision is made and if not favourable that they won't then leave anyway. This is due to the rules here that do say if you have a sponsoree here legally then marry they won't normally tell them to leave until the immigration matter is dealt with, under the compassionate grounds rules.

So if the person is NOT here yet they are not dumb enough to let them in as a visitor and then let the pair invoke the compassionate grounds rules.

This is a dead issue for the guy plain and simple. And getting married is an extreme path to a visitor's visa as well.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
ricktoronto said:
The marriage fake or real won't get a visitor's visa any faster in fact since you have to normally apply for an immigrant/family class while the proposed immigrant is outside the country.

Immigration will consider the request for a visitors visa a ruse meant to get them here and to stay until the decision is made and if not favourable that they won't then leave anyway. This is due to the rules here that do say if you have a sponsoree here legally then marry they won't normally tell them to leave until the immigration matter is dealt with, under the compassionate grounds rules.

So if the person is NOT here yet they are not dumb enough to let them in as a visitor and then let the pair invoke the compassionate grounds rules.

This is a dead issue for the guy plain and simple. And getting married is an extreme path to a visitor's visa as well.
I wasn't referring to a visitors visa, I was referring to Canada's equivalent to the US fiancee/sposual visa.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
rellosk said:
I wasn't referring to a visitors visa, I was referring to Canada's equivalent to the US fiancee/sposual visa.

Right, but if you apply for the family class visa then you wait (and wait, and wait) and are also less likely to get any right to come beforehand for the reasons above. And there is no guarantee of success on the family class either. As the original request was for a visit I think considering a sponsorhship is an extreme measure and has a lot of risks.