Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Que voy acer? Grammatics

Doctor of Diplomacy
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Mark
    The most appropiate translation for "What am I going to do?" in that context is "¿Qué voy a hacer?", "¿Qué haré yo?" is not very idiomatic in Spanish.
    And if you want to sound Dominican you should stick in a "Diablo!" or a "Coño!". You can use them just about anywhere.

Scandall

Mr.Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Talldrink
    Scandall, I never heard anyone say: Que voy a hacer.

Does the 'a' need to be included in this sentence? I really dont think so, then again, I had my last Spanish lesson when I was 8. Thanks.

Lesly or Jessy - where are you when we need you?!
    In this case, the Spanish preposition "a" has the same function as the English "to". In Spanish it's necessary, in other romance languages such as Portuguese it is not. Hence, in Portuguese you say "o que vou fazer" and in Italian you say "che vado fare" -note the absence of any preoposition-.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Does the 'a' need to be included in this sentence? I really dont think so, then again, I had my last Spanish lesson when I was 8. Thanks.

It is que voy a hacer.... It just sounds like if you are saying que voy hacer.

Doctor of Diplomacy
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes. You need it.

Examples: "Vamos a comer." "¿Vas a comer?"

The expression is the equivalent of "going to". If you omit the "a" it would be like:

I going eat. Are you going eat?

I am far from being an expert but this is correct. We usually can't hear Dominicans say it because they speak quickly. But we do the same.

Example "Jeet your lunch today?" = "Did you eat your lunch today?"

Scandall
    Not a Spanish expert

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down

The most appropiate translation for "What am I going to do?" in that context is "¿Qué voy a hacer?", "¿Qué haré yo?" is not very idiomatic in Spanish.
    Idiomatic or Correct Spanish, I am confused now, I will bring this fight in SPANISH 101 Thread, I'll let Anna & the Crew sort it out.

El Mujeron
    Post Thanks / Like

"Y que hare yo" sounds so Chavo del Ocho... LOL

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default hahaha

"Y que hare yo" sounds so Chavo del Ocho... LOL
    What is "Chavo del Ocho", it doesn't sound to complimenting

Mr.Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo900
    Idiomatic or Correct Spanish, I am confused now, I will bring this fight in SPANISH 101 Thread, I'll let Anna & the Crew sort it out.
    Ricardo, there's no need to react like that. There are two ways of building the future tense in Spanish -if we can call the second one I will point out a tense-. One is by conjugating any verb into future (i.e.: comer= yo comeré, tu comerás, él comerá, etc.) and the other one is by using the auxiliary verb "ir" in its present tense followed by the preposition "a" and the verb in question in its infinitive form (yo voy a comer, tú vas a comer, etc.).

Now, the second way I pointed out has its almost perfect equivalent in English. Guess which is? Yes, the verb "to be" in present tense, followed by the verb "to go" in present participle plus the verb in question -which has another denomination in Grammar, I just don't remember how it is called-. That's exactly what "what am i going to do" is. Hence, the correct translation is "¿Qué voy a hacer?".

"¿Qué haré yo?" as well as being too poetic would be the translation for "What will i do?". BTW, El Chavo del Ocho is one of the funniest and most popular Latin American sitcoms ever. It comes from Mexico.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking since you put it that way

Ricardo, there's no need to react like that. There are two ways of building the future tense in Spanish -if we can call the second one I will point out a tense-. One is by conjugating any verb into future (i.e.: comer= yo comeré, tu comerás, él comerá, etc.) and the other one is by using the auxiliary verb "ir" in its present tense followed by the preposition "a" and the verb in question in its infinitive form (yo voy a comer, tú vas a comer, etc.).

Now, the second way I pointed out has its almost perfect equivalent in English. Guess which is? Yes, the verb "to be" in present tense, followed by the verb "to go" in present participle plus the verb in question -which has another denomination in Grammar, I just don't remember how it is called-. That's exactly what "what am i going to do" is. Hence, the correct translation is "¿Qué voy a hacer?".

"¿Qué haré yo?" as well as being too poetic would be the translation for "What will i do?". BTW, El Chavo del Ocho is one of the funniest and most popular Latin American sitcoms ever. It comes from Mexico.
    Thanks for the translation and I will see if they have "El Chavo del Ocho on DVD"
    Chao

El Mujeron
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Funny quote from the show...

Y ahora, quien podra ayudarme?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast