Looking for a good broker...

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Hey, anyone have any suggestions for a good broker for shipping goods from Canada to the DR? I have done some looking into it and apparently the goods I am looking to import have a 94% goods and excise tax-at least equal to after all of the taxes are added up. Any help would be appreciated.

gatoazul

Aug 24, 2004
Hi jrf

A friend of mine used to move cargo from Canada to DR with a company named Scamwell. I didn't find the phone number until now and won't be able until monday to look for it but you can look for it on superpages.com.

About the customs' work I used to work with a guy named Carlos Marte for cargo being received in any of the ports near Santo Domingo and with a guy named Leonardo Santini for the cargo received in Puerto Plata. On monday I can look for the numbers.

Carlos Marte's number is 809-537-6228 (I don't know if he stills have it)
Leonardo Santini' number is 809-320-0740 and 809-224-6293

Good luck jrf!

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Thank you!

Thank you very much for the help.
I look forward to figuring this out monday.

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Brokers

Are you bringing the goods by sea or air?

In the past you could pay a broker to get you the best rates but now its difficult. What a broker can do for you these days is clear the goods quickly. Some brokers are more expensive than others but they all do basically the same thing. Most goods are valued on the amount on the original invoice that is sent with the merchandise. They include the the cost of shipping in the whole value.
Besides the duties imposed that differ depending what it is there is an exchange commision that can put the duties upto 100%. I know of a company that regularly does broker services thru las Americas Santo Domingo, if you are interested.