life in NY

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
Very moving...

"In the Dominican Republic I was happy, but I had no future. In New York I have a lot of problems, but I have opportunity."

Truer words have never been stated!

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
I enjoy reading human interest articles like that.

As I can be very sentimental it brought a few tears to my eyes - maybe because I haven't been to DR in just over a year and also yesterday I drove by my own grandparents' old house for the first time in 3 years since they died.

Anyway, great article and it has moved me to book a ticket today to DR for New Years - I hope I get a reasonble priced ticket.

magdalena21

Jun 7, 2005
This is a nice article. when I was reading this article I was with tears in my eyes thinking about my grandmother. In May 2005, I went back to DR because my sister died. I was feeling so bad because I couldnt spend a lot of time with her before she died. I couldnt show her how much I love her and I appreciate her.

So, in this same trip I got the opportunity to see my grandmother who was very sick when I was there. Right now she is worst, then when I saw her in may. I am preading to God everyday. so that I can see her when I go back in December. I hope that she gets better and I can hear her calling me "Malena" as she used to call me.

bob saunders said:
Interesting short article about life in NYC for a young Dominican.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/22/nyregion/22dominican.html?th&emc=th

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
magdalena21 said:
This is a nice article. when I was reading this article I was with tears in my eyes thinking about my grandmother. In May 2005, I went back to DR because my sister died. I was feeling so bad because I couldnt spend a lot of time with her before she died. I couldnt show her how much I love her and I appreciate her.

So, in this same trip I got the opportunity to see my grandmother who was very sick when I was there. Right now she is worst, then when I saw her in may. I am preading to God everyday. so that I can see her when I go back in December. I hope that she gets better and I can hear her calling me "Malena" as she used to call me.
I suppose you can send her a reminder of her presence in you?

Maybe a photo of you or some other thing prior to December.

This will make a huge impact on her, in the sense that she will know that you have not forgotten her. Sometimes, people in advanced age feel lonely not because they lack company (in fact, many are sorrounded by people 24/7), but because the most important people in their lives might not be giving them signals that they want to see.

It's one thing to visit a grandmother while being here on visit, but its a totally different thing for her to receive something from you while you are still away.

Her understanding of her presence in your mind will make her feel better and that is sometimes all that is needed in order for her to await your arrival in December...