What are the chances to find a reliable English speaking writer/typist in S. D.?

OFNI

Aug 22, 2005
I am a semi-retired owner of a U. S. based company. My company publishes the website www.e-condolaw.com.

I recently rented an apartment in Santo Domingo and I want to continue my internet work in the Dominican Republic. I am looking for someone who will help me with the following::

1. Testing of our website. (Design and coding is done by others in the U. S. and other locations. Your job is limited to submitting clearly worded ideas and comments.)
2. Adding text and fixing errors on our website. (We have a Content Management System and you don't need to know HTML or anything about FTP.)

What are the requirements for this job?

A. You must be a good typist. And if you are interested in this job, please test your speed at http://www.typingtest.com/ and share your results. :)
B. You must have outstanding legal research skills (Westlaw?) and the ability to write legal text for the general public. In other words, you must be an AUTHOR!
C. At a minimum, you must have general computer skills. Hopefully, you are someone who enjoys working with a computer. Maybe you are even a computer wizard?

Even though some of the work can be done on the internet, I prefer a person who spends at least 30 hours a week working in an office like environment in Santo Domingo with me.

Here are my questions for people who have been living in S. D. for a while:

1. What are the chances to find someone in Santo Domingo with the above qualifications? Are there any English native speakers who are good typists/ writers looking for jobs?

2. What?s the best newspaper/website to advertise this type of job in Santo Domingo?

3. As a rule of thumb, Indian workers receive about 10 % of the salary of U. S. based workers. What is the percentage of the salary for a Dominican employee compared to a U. S. employee? (I am trying to find out what's a reasonable rate.)

Any advice, comment, or guidance will be very much appreciated. Thanks!

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I have to agree with Rellosk. I don't think your add posted will be here long on the message board for free. Nor do I think it should. You need to pay for advertising. DR1 has a great advertisement section which produces results. Another site for you to place an add is Aldaba. To answer you question, you should have no problem finding someone who fits your requirements in Santo Domingo. There are many English speaking people in the capitol. Now, if you want to save yourself the search..... hire me! Now tell me how much it pays.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
dulce said:
I have to agree with Rellosk. I don't think your add posted will be here long on the message board for free. Nor do I think it should. You need to pay for advertising. DR1 has a great advertisement section which produces results. Another site for you to place an add is Aldaba. To answer you question, you should have no problem finding someone who fits your requirements in Santo Domingo. There are many English speaking people in the capitol. Now, if you want to save yourself the search..... hire me! Now tell me how much it pays.
The last time we advertised for help wanted on DR1 classifieds there was no charge for job available. Obviously you don't want someone who relates facts without checking their sources.

Last edited:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
HOWMAR said:
The last time we advertised for help wanted on DR! classifieds there was no charge for job available. Obviously you don't want someone who relates facts without checking their sources.

Yes, if your offering a "real" job in the DR it's free.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
HOWMAR said:
She was accusing the guy of spamming and then asking him for a job.
Some people really need to get laid more in the DR and lighten up a bit. I was joking about the job. And another thing... I do not pretend to be the smartest,richest,most beautiful on DR1.
INSULT INSULT INSULT

OFNI

Aug 22, 2005
If you have extensive Westlaw experience, let's talk: What's your hourly rate?

Thank you for the comments and advice. Yes, this is a real job. :)

Unfortunately, the requirements are very specific:

A. You must be a good typist. And if you are interested in this job, please test your speed at http://www.typingtest.com/ and share your results.
B. You must have outstanding legal research skills (Westlaw!) and the ability to write legal text for the general public. In other words, you must be an AUTHOR!
C. At a minimum, you must have general computer skills. Hopefully, you are someone who enjoys working with a computer. Maybe you are even a computer wizard?

Anybody with solid Westlaw knowledge AND extensive computer experience (Photoshop and A+ certification as a minimum) is invited to write to me directly. My e-mail is GFS@ofni.org.

Please state your hourly rate along with your qualifications. Thanks!

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
As I suggested earlier, you'd probably get more responses if you placed an ad in the classifieds. Some people are looking for jobs and don't necessarily check the threads.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
Hire Me!!!!!

just pay me USD 50K a year (a decrease on my US salary) and i have legal and investment banking skills...as well as extesive graphics and some web skills.

i am your man...am NOT kidding..pm me for resume and portfolio

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
OFNI said:
3. As a rule of thumb, Indian workers receive about 10 % of the salary of U. S. based workers. What is the percentage of the salary for a Dominican employee compared to a U. S. employee? (I am trying to find out what's a reasonable rate.)

I think you are going to be disappointed. Although the rate for Dominican workers may at first look much better than US rates, you must consider that there are about 40% additional costs due to Dominican Labor Law. You must give 14 work days (not 14 calender days) of paid vacation per year. You must pay 1 months salary as Christmas bonus. There are approximately 14 paid Dominican Holidays. You must pay profit sharing of 10% (capped at 45 days salary for an employee of 1-3 years). If you wish to terminate an employee after 90 days, they are entitle to liquidation (severance). In all cases, any question of doubt is judged in the employee's favor if brought before the labor board. Any attempt to try to avoid Labor Regulations (trying to out lawyer them) will usually result in penalties.
In all respects, this is a tough country to be an employer. Good luck.

OFNI

Aug 22, 2005
Very helpful information!

HOWMAR said:
I think you are going to be disappointed. Although the rate for Dominican workers may at first look much better than US rates, you must consider that there are about 40% additional costs due to Dominican Labor Law. You must give 14 work days (not 14 calender days) of paid vacation per year. You must pay 1 months salary as Christmas bonus. There are approximately 14 paid Dominican Holidays. You must pay profit sharing of 10% (capped at 45 days salary for an employee of 1-3 years). If you wish to terminate an employee after 90 days, they are entitle to liquidation (severance). In all cases, any question of doubt is judged in the employee's favor if brought before the labor board. Any attempt to try to avoid Labor Regulations (trying to out lawyer them) will usually result in penalties.
In all respects, this is a tough country to be an employer. Good luck.

This was very informative. Thank you very much for this detailed reply.

L

LarrySpencer

OFNI said:
I am a semi-retired owner of a U. S. based company. My company publishes the website www.e-condolaw.com.

I recently rented an apartment in Santo Domingo and I want to continue my internet work in the Dominican Republic. I am looking for someone who will help me with the following::

1. Testing of our website. (Design and coding is done by others in the U. S. and other locations. Your job is limited to submitting clearly worded ideas and comments.)
2. Adding text and fixing errors on our website. (We have a Content Management System and you don't need to know HTML or anything about FTP.)

What are the requirements for this job?

A. You must be a good typist. And if you are interested in this job, please test your speed at http://www.typingtest.com/ and share your results. :)
B. You must have outstanding legal research skills (Westlaw?) and the ability to write legal text for the general public. In other words, you must be an AUTHOR!

Even though some of the work can be done on the internet, I prefer a person who spends at least 30 hours a week working in an office like environment in Santo Domingo with me.

Here are my questions for people who have been living in S. D. for a while:

1. What are the chances to find someone in Santo Domingo with the above qualifications? Are there any English native speakers who are good typists/ writers looking for jobs?

2. What?s the best newspaper/website to advertise this type of job in Santo Domingo?

I know of one who just returned from the United States, where she earned two degrees and four certificates in two years. She is living in Santo Domingo right now. give me some idea of what you plan to pay and send me a private email with your information and I will have her send her cirriculum to you.

It's the perfect time because she is just sitting in the house her mother just bought for her.

L

LarrySpencer

dulce said:
Some people really need to get laid more in the DR and lighten up a bit. I was joking about the job. And another thing... I do not pretend to be the smartest,richest,most beautiful on DR1.
INSULT INSULT INSULT

I personally am all for getting laid more....and if you're not the smartest, richest, most beautiful, you certainly must be the sweetest!