detailed map of DR

pearlhouse

Aug 23, 2005
Im trying to find out which side of the island offers the calmest seas for just relaxin and swiming with little or no wave action. Is there one particular area that is better than others? Also interested where the best snorkeling might be. Is it accessable on my own or must I book a trip.
Thanx
:confused:

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
pearlhouse said:
Im trying to find out which side of the island offers the calmest seas for just relaxin and swiming with little or no wave action. Is there one particular area that is better than others? Also interested where the best snorkeling might be. Is it accessable on my own or must I book a trip.
Thanx
:confused:
It's not a matter of which side, as much as it's a matter of reefs, bays, etc.
Right in Sosua there's a bay beach that's quite calm, yet 5 minutes awy, there's a surf beach.
Generally the North coast is a better choice for beaches, but you could find some great places on the South coast too.
Ther are a lot of places to just swin out and snorkel.
Sosua is decent for snorkelers and Rio San Juan is spectacular.

pearlhouse

Aug 23, 2005
Calm water

Rocky said:
It's not a matter of which side, as much as it's a matter of reefs, bays, etc.
Right in Sosua there's a bay beach that's quite calm, yet 5 minutes awy, there's a surf beach.
Generally the North coast is a better choice for beaches, but you could find some great places on the South coast too.
Ther are a lot of places to just swin out and snorkel.
Sosua is decent for snorkelers and Rio San Juan is spectacular.

Thanx for the reply. If im reading the right sources I found the north side is usually cliffs above the water meaning most resorts have steps down to the water. I s this correct? We are considering 2 places for our winter vacation down there on the north side of the Island. Hilton Marien Coral and EMI Sun Village. A third place we are looking at is on the south side called Hilton Hamaca Coral. Supposidly Marien is a newer resort by how much I cant tell and Hamaca reviews arnt all that great. Any thoughts here would be greatly appreciated. Also weve been looking for a good map that would show the location of all the beaches and resorts.
Thanx