Sosua

M

Mike Martin

I have not been in DR for 4 years. Last time in Sosua almost all of the tourists were from Germany. I like meeting the local people and also visitors ,but not when all visitors are from the same country. I am happy to read in The Pop Report that flights from Britain are the most frequent and that less then 25% are from Germany. I want to visit Sosua again this year but not if it only Germans...I do not speak German but have been learning Spanish. Can anyone give me an idea of what to expect? I noticed that most businessin Sosua was owned by Germans on my last visit.

B

Bob

I was there in June and it was some germans. Matter of fact, germans are everywhere on the ISLAND. I think that Cabarete is better if you want to meet people from a different country that GERMANY. I have nothing about germans but since I do not speak the language, I prefer be among english, spanish or french speaking people. In conclusion, you should go back to the NORTH COAST. It is an overall beautiful place. Goodluck.

B

bonita

Hi, I?m german formyself and you are right, in Sosua are many germans. I don?t like it too, because I don?t need to talk german in my holidays, I?m there to meet the local people and to speak spanish, but I can tell you, look around and you will find what you want. Have a great holiday bonita

L

Laura

Re: Sosua good people

I found so many people from all over the world there. And one of the best people i met there was a german. He made my holiday so much more fun. We had the time of our life with them. We also found some good friends there. We took a german family to meet some local dominicans in their home and was a great time. We spent a lot of our time with german people and found them to be as nice as anyone else there. Go and have a great time and you may find some American that will have as much fun as we did with the german people we met there. If you look all people are good!!!!!!

M

Mike Martin

Re: Sosua good people

I do not wanrt to find ONLY other Canadians or Americans at a vacation Resort a mix of visitors where no one culture dominated the local one is what I enjoy ...a place where visitors from various countries meet and mix....but do not change the face of the towme to resemble one particular foreign counrty.

S

sean

In 1998 Sosua was visited by about 50 percent Germans, with a mix of Americans, Canadians, Brits and French making up the other half. The rest of the Dominican Republic gets a more even mix of various Europeans and Canadians, with a smattering of Americans.

There are plenty of places to check out if you want to get to know more Dominicans and fewer fellow visitors. On the north coast I would suggest Rio San Juan, a terrific little fishing village with beautiful beaches nearby, a mangrove lagoon with boat tours, excellent nightlife and an affable local population. It's not yet overrun by tourism, but it may get there soon, and development is proceeding apace. There are good independent hotels within town, or all-inclusives out on the fringes.

N

noelle

Why not consider Puerto Plata.... we are pretty good people!!! Lots of foreigners... English, French, Canadian, etc.... and we do love our friendly Dominicans.... Wish more information, just e-mail me.... will be happy to give you more details.... Noelle, Sofy's B&B Cheers

T

Tom

I have visited Sosua and many other areas of the DR in recent months. My observation is that MUCH of the island (including Sosua) has MANY German visitors. I did not encounter very many Americans, although I did run into many Swedes, Canadians, and people from Holland. My guess is that there will be more tourists from USA because I have seen more TV commercials advertising the DR here in NY and because we have so many Dominicans here spreading the good word about this beautiful country. However, one has to admit, the Germans have a definate foothold. Anybody disagree?