Punta Cana or Puerto Plata?

liondeoro

Aug 25, 2005
My wife and I are going to visit the DR for 2 weeks. Not sure if we want to do the PP thing and attend the Jazz Festival and check out the other cities of PC which is nice but I'm scared we are going to get bored. But I also don?t want to be moving through crowds the whole time I am there also. Any suggestions?
L

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
Hi,
It all depends on the type of vacation you want and what you like to do.
PP has lots more to do and you can visit places like Sosua, Cabarete, Santiago all close enough to visit.
PC has beautiful amazing beaches but I found not as much to do as PP.
This is my opinion of course, I do stay at AI resorts for money reasons it's cheaper for me but I do get bored easily so that's why I like PP I can get out and explore other places and see the DR! I always take enough spending money since I like to leave the resort. I've always had a great time in PP.
Have fun! :classic:

liondeoro said:
My wife and I are going to visit the DR for 2 weeks. Not sure if we want to do the PP thing and attend the Jazz Festival and check out the other cities of PC which is nice but I'm scared we are going to get bored. But I also don?t want to be moving through crowds the whole time I am there also. Any suggestions?
L

Exxtol

Jun 27, 2005
liondeoro said:
L

If you want to have in my opinion a more REAL experience of the Dominican Republic then I would visit Puerto Plata. However, if you are just looking to enjoy the beautiful beaches and palms, and have as little interaction with Dominicans as possible then Punta Cana is for you. Punta Cana was extremely beautiful--but the all inclusive hotels that dominate are NOT an accurate representaion/depiction of the Dominican Republic. I found it rather distasteful that the security from the various hotels that lined the beach actually created "sections" strictly for Dominicans--as if swimming with the locals would somehow contaminate you. And you WILL get bored in Punta Cana after a few days. Perhaps you can do a little bit of both?

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
Exxtol said:
I found it rather distasteful that the security from the various hotels that lined the beach actually created "sections" strictly for Dominicans--as if swimming with the locals would somehow contaminate you.

I doubt that why they do it, I strongly feel it's because they do not want to feed every sankie within 30 miles food and liquor via one of the guests every day.

jackquontee

May 20, 2005
I concur with Music

I have been to both; PC many times and POP once. If you want to get away from it all and just lie on a beach or by a pool, then PC is for you. However, you don't have to go all the way to the R for that.

If you want to get out among the people of the DR and have other adventures available to you, POP is the place to go, rather than PC. Just my opinion.

Exxtol

Jun 27, 2005
CyaBye3015 said:
I doubt that why they do it, I strongly feel it's because they do not want to feed every sankie within 30 miles food and liquor via one of the guests every day.

Last time I checked Dominican families with their own food baskets weren't sankies.

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
Exxtol said:
Last time I checked Dominican families with their own food baskets weren't sankies.

And your point is? "families with their own food baskets" wasn't my point, the sankies are not there now because they can not 'mingle' with the tourists. If yhey could the AI's would be thick with them!

You don't know much about the DR do you? But, have it your way if you like.

Exxtol

Jun 27, 2005
CyaBye3015 said:
And your point is? "families with their own food baskets" wasn't my point, the sankies are not there now because they can not 'mingle' with the tourists. If yhey could the AI's would be thick with them!

You don't know much about the DR do you? But, have it your way if you like.

Yes I've heard the excuses for the privatization of the beaches there--even though it is ILLEGAL and IMMORAL.

And one of the reasons why European tourism is so high in that country is BECAUSE OF "sankies"--not in spite of.

And to answer your question, or your insult--yes I do actually. Been there twice--or more specifically lived there twice, as well as interned in a barrio that was extremely "caliente"--with the "huelgas" and the like. PM me for more information if you like--this is not the right forum for a debate.