Best American Style Breakfast in Sosua

Status
Not open for further replies.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Rocky's Restaurant in Sosua.
I had the best American style breakfast since coming to the DR. The bacon was crisp, eggs cooked perfectly, home fries were great. Add to this a caraffe full of coffee. This was as good as my favorite greasy spoon (a complimentary term for an American Diner) back in the States. On top of this, prices were very good.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I Have To Agree With Howmar!

After "MY HOUSE",..."Rocky's is the "BEST On The North Shore"!It is even better if you are able to sit at the "Chef's Table" With guys and Gals like "Rocky" himself,"Escott","Dawn",and some of the other "Regulars"!

The Hotel Naco on Tiradentes,across from "Vesuvio II" has a "Naco Delux" which is "American Style",with your choice of Eggs Any Style" Ham,Bacon,or Sausage,toast,juice,(ASK for a, "Jugo con Leche",made with the fruit of your choice!)I recommend the "Bacon"the ham,and sausage "$uck"! "Over Easy" is best.Scrambled must be ordered not "Well Done"!

Since "Dominican bacon" is not that great,and American Bacon at the Super is $3.50 US for 8 oz. I usually eat my American Breakfasts in Boston.Maybe an "American Pancake Breakfast could be an "Event" at "Rocky's" as part of the "American Thanksgiving Party!"I will help cook to speed things up a little!!Anything that falls on the floor is "MINE"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Only problem is they don't have any egg options on the menu :)

Yes, I agree, that's the place I also eat breakfast in Sosua.
It's not just the food that makes it great, it's also the people around you.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Robert said:
Only problem is they don't have any egg options on the menu :)

Yes, I agree, that's the place I also eat breakfast in Sosua.
It's not just the food that makes it great, it's also the people around you.

Yeah. The relaxed atomsphere and general setting of the restaurant have alot to do with it.

Also, I really like the self-serve 'bottomless' cup of coffee included with the breakfast.

Larry

duhtree

Jun 2, 2003
Additional places that I have found very good: PJ's, at the end of clisente does it all. Your way . from 1 egg to combo omeletes, with fruit, bacon, ham, sausage, etc. And at a good price.
The hotel Garden Kettie- down the block from Rocky's-also has a nice breakfast, in a very relaxed and attractive environment. And the coffee is fresh ground dominican. Very, very good cafe. Bottomless? a couple of cups of 100 proof is more than enough!

purefolie

Apr 1, 2005
LA Roca

My favorite place for breakfast in Sosua is La Roca, the menu for residents. The plates are really big and you can get eggs benedictine on ham, potatoes, bacon and sausages, toats, fruits, orange juice and coffee for 115 pesos. The western omelete is also great. The service was quick and excellent. The place is nice and just next to the beach, which is cool if you wanna spend the afternoon on the beach after.
I ate at Rocky's 3 times for breakfast and it wasn't that good, plates were small and it took 1/2 hour to get it. The pancakes are very good though, and there you can go on the internet while waiting for your plate.

hifiman

Jul 13, 2005
What's the hurry

purefolie said:
My favorite place for breakfast in Sosua is La Roca, the menu for residents. The plates are really big and you can get eggs benedictine on ham, potatoes, bacon and sausages, toats, fruits, orange juice and coffee for 115 pesos. The western omelete is also great. The service was quick and excellent. The place is nice and just next to the beach, which is cool if you wanna spend the afternoon on the beach after.
I ate at Rocky's 3 times for breakfast and it wasn't that good, plates were small and it took 1/2 hour to get it. The pancakes are very good though, and there you can go on the internet while waiting for your plate.

La Roca is faster because it is either pre cooked or partially cooked. Thats why the bacon tastes like cardboard,at least it did when I ate there.Nothing wrong with waiting a little longer, gives you a chance to have your coffee and relaxe before the start of a hectic day.
You must have been there on a bad week because I would take Rocky's over La Roca any day, and it's not just because of the food but the friendly people as well.

paddy

Silver
Oct 4, 2003
not only is the breakfast good at rockys...it's served by the sweetest waitress in sosua...sonia.

Last edited by a moderator:

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
The last time I was there, not only did breakfast come quickly, but when I ordered the ribs for dinner they also came in a reasonable time.

jstnorv05

Jun 13, 2005
Bogey's

Another place that has great American breakfast at a reasonable price is Bogey's. They used to be located on calle ayuntamiento close to Eddy's sports bar right next door to the municipal office. In addition to a great breakfast they have an excellent selection of food for lunch and dinner, again at very reasonable prices. The place is Dominican owned and operated and they are some of the most friendly people I have ever met in my life. They are now located inside the Villa Flor complex. Villa Flor is located close to Hotel Europa. You need to enter the driveway for Villa Flor and the restaurant is on your right hand side.

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Gotta go with Rocky's on this one but that is in Sosua.

American style breakfasts are not popular here in Santo Domingo. The Jaragua buffet is decent but expensive.

Scandall

On Vacation!
Feb 18, 2005
Best Breakfest

Well i just got back from 2 weeks of vacation in Sosoua.

(Looking over some of your past posts I would venture that you are trying to paint yourself as the frequent visitor to the DR. In that you have built a house here on the north coast and are married to a Dominican and with a child from her I would say that you are a resident. In one post you signed it "Rick
North Coast Property Management and Consulting"

Here is another post by you;

http://www.dr1.com/forums/396832-post22.html

It is due to your desire to give the impression that as a casual visitor you happened to stop by Rocky's to eat due to what you had heard on this board is the reason I've taken the edit function to heart on your post.

The moderator}

Can we really make false statments about places to promote our friends buissness on DR1 Wow if so then i do have some friends with different buissness going down there maybe i should post about them.

Toronto Rick

(As I have posted to this thread as to my experiences with eating at Rocky's and as I am an American I feel as though I can speak from a formally expert position as to what constitutes a good American breakfast. Having said that then your above statement says that I am a lier in the statements that I have made.As I am the moderator of this forum I will assure you that you will not be allowed to slander my character to fulfill your agenda. From your prior post I am under the assumption that you are Canadian and as such then I think that you do not have the expertise that I have as to what constitutes a good American breakfast.

The Moderator)

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Are you sure you were in the right town? It's called "SOSUA".

Sorry you didn't have a good breakfast that day. Most of us have no reason to say it was good if it wasn't.

Sorry you missed the ribs. They are great. ;)

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
While the food for breakfast at Rocky's might not be the best American Style breakfast in the DR, the breakfast experience is. It's a place to relax and hang out. It's not the place to be if you only have a NY minute. The decor is not fancy, but neither is Peter Luger's.

BTW, the ribs are the best I've had in the DR, by far!

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
To Toronto Rick

Normally I wouldn't reply to a negative review, as I accept that everybody is entitled to their opinion, and one cannot please everyone.
So let me try to respond to your complaints, Rick, without being too condescending about your spelling and obvious sensitivities, as evidenced by thinking people were jumping all over you, when they simply were not.
We do have dogs in here. Of course thay are not permitted in the upper section during the day, so as to not bother the clientel.
As for them being flea infested, Judy from the Pet Lodge provides me with a once a month wash and insect maintenance program which is very efficient, and they do not have fleas. or ticks, or anything for that matter.
We cook our bacon crisp, as that's how most people like it.
If you want greasy undercooked bacon, you need only ask for it.
If you choose to sit in the lower section, away from everybody, two times, with what you consider to be flea infested dogs, knowing that you didn't like the breakfast here the first time, one might question your wisdom.
If anyone is displeased with any meal, it is our custom to not charge them for it, and generally offer them a free drink and an apology.
If I thought that your review was sincere, like I said, I would just let it go, and try to learn from the experience.
Nevertheless, I apologize for the inconvenience, and it's unfortunate you did not sit in the upper section with the others, as you would have met some wonderful people, avoided the dog problem and we could have easily cooked the bacon the way you want it.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
680680 said:
Well i am not surprised. This is what DR1 has come to. I knew if someone dare post there true thoughts about a subject on DR1 forums the local nitch group who post here daily would get all fired up and insult anyone who dares to voice a different opinon. I stand by my reveiw of Rockys Breakfast And We did try it on 2 different days with a group of 3 to 4 each time and we all felt the same about the service and the quialty of food.

Sorry you did not enjoy your two breakfasts as Rocky's. Your review stands for you. Here is mine... I just had an American breakfast at Rockies and as usual, it is the experience that counts. I elbowed the dogs a little futher away (and felt I was home!). I pulled my laptop up closer and ate with one hand and worked a little with the other.. The coffee is bottomless.. a stack of people is sitting around chatting about what is important in their lives.. (Mostly chicas, beer, the exchange rate and real estate!) I met one fellow who is on his way to Santo Domingo to look at some property there. Really Nice guy! I want more coffee, so I'll just holler across the floor to the wait person.. I could not kiss Marco good morning, 'cause he had not had his shower yet (Yuck!) But I have not had my shower yet, so, no kissing is a good thing! My eggs were perfect, bacon crisp as I like it and it was served with a great smile! Did anyone talk about Decor? Decor at Rocky's? You're in the wrong place with the wrong people... there is no decor here. But it is kinda authentic and does not pretend to be what it is not. And surprisingly, the joint is real clean.

If I want breakfast at Tiffany's, I'll go there. If you have a stick up your arse, don't come and have breakfast at Rocky's.

The best is yet to come.. the price.

So, please feel free and select another breakfast place. For us locals who post here frequently, Rocky's is a good place to come to. Let us know the reviews that you posted on the hotel where you stayed at. Oh yes, while I think of it, did you post any good review about any place that you visited in the DR?

On Vacation!
Feb 18, 2005
best Breakfest

Well i would like to comment to the owners of Rockys. Maybe i was a little hard on my reveiw. At frist i was just expressing my opion on my experience there. I am not a vet so i will conceied the flee infested dogs may have been going to far.

I did think your prices where fair and the staff was very pleasent. No i did not enjoy the meal and i was not there to sit with locals and chat about chicas. I went there because i had read some great reveiws. I also went back the second time because even the best restaruants have an off day and i was willing to give the place another try.

In my post i never made any personal comments about anyone there or the owners and the staff. But because i have expressed my opion you and your friends have made comments about me. ( Spelling, Stick up the ***, Question my wisdom and of course Putz Toronto ) That is ok most people who know me know that my spelling is very bad but what does these comments have to do with my personel reveiw of your place. It seems like you and your friends here on this board feell you have to discredit my reveiw as if i am not intellegent enough to determine if i enjoyed my own breakfast.

I am truly sorry that ones is not allowed to express his opion on here. I will not lower my self to degrading comments. I have nothing against you or any members on this board and I do apoligize for the comments about the dogs having flees.

And just so you know I did sit one time on upper level and one time lower level. The food results where the same.

A

apostropheman

funny...i've eaten breakfast at Rocky's about 30 times and not once was it dirty. yes, the bacon can be well-done but try asking for it the way you want it if you have such a specifiec preferance. as for Baily and Bruno...to my knowledge they don't have fleas. don't think they ever have and i've known Bruno since he was a pup. if you're in a hurry then perhaps you need find a different restaurant or RELAX and realize you're on vacation! part of the considerable charm of Rocky's is the relaxed atmosphere. you have time to hangout with friends, new and old, and enjoy the view of the world passing by.

not to mention the fine and considerate waitstaff! I've definately enjoyed each and every meal i've eaten at Rocky's and can hardly wait to eat there again!

as for falsely praising a friend's business...anyone with even modest intelligence should know that that would be counter productive and a waste of valuable time. also there is no need as there are obviously many satisfied customers.

Toronto Rick...did you recently change your handle?

16 more days until my next visit! no need to roll out the red carpet. i love it just the way it is!

Status
Not open for further replies.