what hotel do i stay in sept in sosua this time??

Status
Not open for further replies.

susy

Sep 30, 2004
i'm planning to come to sosua once again in sept. First time i stayed at casa marina reef and loved it. Second time i stayed at cantino del delphin. sucked but the we had a fan and in january it's not extremely hot as it is now. when i was there in may i stayed at playa laguna resort. it was beautiful and they had air conditioning. problem was, it was too far. This time i'd like to stay somewhere cheap again. with air conditioning and working cable tv right in the heart of sosua. Can anyone recommend some hotels for cheap. i'm a female 31 and my companion is male. i don't want to be in some place where i'm going to feel uncomfortable walking around with my man. i've heard one ocean place is really nice but at $55 a night, that's expensive. i'd like to keep it at $30 or less per night since the room is basically just to sleep in. what do you all recommend??

joecanada

Jan 15, 2004
per person?

Is that $30 per person per night, or $30 for the room?

Room-only, bed & breakfast, breakfast and dinner, or all-inclusive?

How many nights are you talking about?

Joe

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Right in the heart of Sosua? Stay at the Europa. It is around $35 per night, comfortable, clean, A/C, cable, hot water, and walking distance to everything.

Larry

Victor Laszlo

Bronze
Aug 24, 2004
$32/day cash, $35/day credit card. They have a pool, also.

http://www.hotelplazaeuropa.com/plaza-seiten/plazaeuropa-titel-engl.html

susy said:
i don't want to be in some place where i'm going to feel uncomfortable walking around with my man.
Why would you feel uncomfortable walking around with your man? Is he a dwarf? a leper? a Canadian?

Disclaimer: No offence meant to dwarves and lepers. Their contributions to society are legendary.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
No doubt about it

Hotel Europa & Plaza Sosua are the best deals in town in that price range, with all the comforts you need.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Rocky said:
Hotel Europa & Plaza Sosua are the best deals in town in that price range, with all the comforts you need.
I'm confused (go figure), are Hotel Europa and Hotel Plaza Europa the same place?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
rellosk said:
I'm confused (go figure), are Hotel Europa and Hotel Plaza Europa the same place?
Diego's first hotel was Plaza Sosua.
Later on, he built Hotel Europa right accross the street.
After awhile, he started to renovate the rooms in Plaza Sosua, up to the Europa's standard and made the access from the side, rather than walk through the bars in the front.
Eventually he renamed them also Europa, although most people still call the building Plaza Sosua.
To rent a room there, you check in at the reception in Hotel Europa, and they now refer to them as the Europa's guest houses, and they generally rent for a bit less, although I think they are just as nice.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Rocky said:
Diego's first hotel was Plaza Sosua.
Later on, he built Hotel Europa right accross the street.
After awhile, he started to renovate the rooms in Plaza Sosua, up to the Europa's standard and made the access from the side, rather than walk through the bars in the front.
Eventually he renamed them also Europa, although most people still call the building Plaza Sosua.
To rent a room there, you check in at the reception in Hotel Europa, and they now refer to them as the Europa's guest houses, and they generally rent for a bit less, although I think they are just as nice.
Thanks for the info. I guess I'll they'll tell me where I'm staying when I check in.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
If you book from the Europa website, you can choose which building you stay in... keep in mind their prices INCLUDE tax and you get a discount for staying more than one night. Diego's a nice guy, so's the rest of the staff... and they have armed security out front 24/7

BTW... this made me LOL - and I was kinda wondering the same thing...:
Why would you feel uncomfortable walking around with your man? Is he a dwarf? a leper? a Canadian? :laugh:

macmasher

Jul 13, 2004
rellosk said:
Thanks for the info. I guess I'll they'll tell me where I'm staying when I check in.

I've stayed in both.

Actually, you WILL want to specify "hotel" or "guest house" when making the reservation. It will make a difference in the rate (about $3-4/per night). And even though the guest house is a bit less money, I prefer it.

The guest house rooms are more apartment-like... and the pool's a bit nicer (than that of the hotel, which is decent... but the seating/lounging area surrounding it is VERY limited).

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
macmasher said:
I've stayed in both.
The guest house rooms are more apartment-like... and the pool's a bit nicer (than that of the hotel, which is decent... but the seating/lounging area surrounding it is VERY limited).
I agree, 100%

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
Victor Laszlo said:
Disclaimer: No offence meant to dwarves and lepers. Their contributions to society are legendary.

These disclaimers are getting funnier and funnier - I love it!!

Does make you wonder though, why would someone be uncomfortable walking around with 'their' man. I walk around with 'my' man all the time, although he's not the prettiest of men, I'm not uncomfortable ..... Now, I WOULD be uncomfortable if it were a 'need a cedula' kinda deal for him to join you ...... or maybe of it were a 'you pay for the room and I'll join you' kinda deal, I may feel uncomfortable with that. But is he's just ugly or fat or he's missing a leg, that's fine, why would you feel uncomfortable about something like that?

Stay well,
Amy

P.S. MArco - doesn't your place have A/C? Or was it ceiling fans?

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Macmasher and DavidZ, thanks for the info. I made the reservation over the phone and they didn't ask hotel or guest house. Based on everyones preference, I guess I'll stay in the guest house room.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
amy2761 said:
P.S. MArco - doesn't your place have A/C? Or was it ceiling fans?
All we have is ceiling fans at Rocky's and the rooms are quite comfortable, but some people need AC.
I sleep like a baby every afternoon under the fan, but I have met people who can barely breathe the warm air getting off the airplane.
I guess they feel about heat, the way I feel about cold.

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
Rocky said:
All we have is ceiling fans at Rocky's and the rooms are quite comfortable, but some people need AC.
I sleep like a baby every afternoon under the fan, but I have met people who can barely breathe the warm air getting off the airplane.
I guess they feel about heat, the way I feel about cold.

True, I sleep with a fan on low and rotating. I remember about a month or so back when I still slept with a blanket lol now I'm ok with just a sheet.

Stay well,
Amy

macmasher

Jul 13, 2004
gonna have to "shill" for Rocky's

I resisted the urge to "shill" for Rocky's in my most recent post - but now that the door's been opened...

I've been to Sosua four times in the last 18 months, and have stayed...
- at the Sosua Palace (NOT a good choice for couples)
- the Europa (hotel)
- the Europa (guest house)
- Rocky's

I will never again stay anywhere but Rocky's... even in the hottest summer months, and even though I prefer air conditioned accommodations. Why?
- outstanding value
- tasty, affordable on-site food and drink
- sense of community (awesome cast of ever-changing characters, from all cultures and corners of the world... mostly English-speaking)
- feels safe... but without the presence of shotgun-toting security goons
- best location in town, considerably closer to beach than Europa
- great "public space" - like a huge, outdoor living room... with blazing fast wi-fi signal throughout.

All the above, in my book, overcomes my preference for having AC.

Bear in mind, the rooms themselves are basic... very clean, but slightly "worn" (but, if you use your vacation time well, you'll use it for little else than sleep).

I sorta hesitate to hit the submit button now... because I want to make sure there's a Rocky's room available for me next time I head to Sosua.

Oh... and did I mention it was an amazing value?

macmasher

P.S. - The proprietor has in no way, shape, or form encouraged this post (other than through his gracious hospitality, extended to ALL guests). I have no business ties to this establishment whatsoever. I'm just customer who bitches when it ain't right, and praises when it is.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I am truly humbled.
I would like to say that Rocky's is a result of the people who frequent it.
I wish I could take credit for all the wonderful things you said, but the truth is that all I did was filter out the rifraf, and the rest happened by itself.
Escott, alanindr and so many other DR1 members made it what it is.
I'm just along for the ride.
PS: I can't even start to list all your names, so I didn't even try.

Status
Not open for further replies.