questionable justice need help

Porfirio

Aug 30, 2005
My wife & I purchased our home in Las Praderas nine years ago. At the rear of our property was a vacant lot. We verified with Banco Vivienda with Ms. Hache (an official) who kindly opened the listing directory, verifiying that the vacant lot was zoned for 3 condominium buildings, limited to 3 levels in each building. Eight months ago we returned from a two week visit to Miami, and found our neighbors greatly upset that a meeting was called while we were away, by a builder & engineer accompanied by a lawyer to assault us with news that they had received permits in violation of existing law, to construct 4 buildings, with 4 levels (floors). I visited the Santo Domingo building Dept. and was told that they had authorized the violation of existing law offering no logical explanation and we had absolutely no recourse other than to smile and accept their erroneous decision. My previous experience in the US permitted someone so violated to bring the offending party to court for satisfaction. Apparently not so in the DR. Such justice simply put does not exist here as I sadly learned. My neighbors & friends living here in Santo Domingo advised me ?DON?T WASTE YOUR TIME & MONEY? as ?SOMEONE HAD THE CORRECT CONNECTION?. I am now seeking a lawyer to sue for damages specifically for the devaluation and damage to my property, all done in violation of an existing building code law, now changed to satisfy the violator. I pose two questions, 1.DO I HAVE ANY RIGHTS ? 2. IS THE ADVICE GIVEN ME NOT TO WASTE MY TIME & MONEY CORRECT? And now for my third and final question, 3. IS THERE A LAWYER OUT THERE WHO CAN DEFEND MY INTERST IN COURT, ON A CONTINGENCY BASIS WHO WANTS TO SEE JUSTICE DONE, AND AT LEAST BRING THIS MATTER BEFORE THE PUBLIC?
THIS NONESENSE OF VIOLATING INDIVIDUALS RIGHTS MUST STOP FOR THE SAKE OF RESIDENTS OF THIS BEAUTIFUL, BUT ABUSED COUNTRY. kindly advise.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Porfirio said:
3. IS THERE A LAWYER OUT THERE WHO CAN DEFEND MY INTERST IN COURT, ON A CONTINGENCY BASIS WHO WANTS TO SEE JUSTICE DONE, AND AT LEAST BRING THIS MATTER BEFORE THE PUBLIC?

If you feel so strongly, why not just pay a good lawyer to look at the case for you and give you the best course of action that will cost the least amount of money. I would take a wild guess that you?ll not find a ?contingency basis?lawyer for this one.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Chris said:
If you feel so strongly, why not just pay a good lawyer to look at the case for you and give you the best course of action that will cost the least amount of money. I would take a wild guess that you?ll not find a ?contingency basis?lawyer for this one.
Makes sense to me. Email Fabio Guzman, the moderator of the legal forum, with your question at info@drlawyer.com

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
I understand you went to city hall to check on this, since building zoning is their jurisdiction. If the zoning change has been approved by the municipal assembly, drop your case. Otherwise, fight it.

Porfirio

Aug 30, 2005
questionable justice

rellosk said:
Makes sense to me. Email Fabio Guzman, the moderator of the legal forum, with your question at info@drlawyer.com
thanks for your response. Regarding contingency lawyers, we are now involved in a class action suit against Bancredito, Banco Leon and Banco Central. Over 100 plaintiffs such as myself are represented by biaggi & Mesina on a contingency basis. The courts have already rendered a ruling that the Defendents, Bancredito, (Pelleranos) Banco Leon, and Banco Central must pay us including interest due. We patiently await payment, and pray it will come. We have not approaced Baiggi & Mesina yet. But it is sad that such a defeatist atmosphere prevails here in the DR, that those with connections, or power can do whatever they want and violate our rights. Yet Baez Figueroa, Pepe Goico Sam Goodson are still free.And those involved in Plan Renove go unpunished. Paulino Corrino operated with impunity for many years until the US DEA stepped in. Paulino apparently had been bribing many people up to the highest levels resulting in many being extradited to New York to stand trial.

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005
Welcome to the land of the freed. Where true democracy rules and Capitalism is king. Dominican Republic. God bless DR

snowqueen

Dec 15, 2004
Porfirio said:
My wife & I purchased our home in Las Praderas nine years ago. At the rear of our property was a vacant lot. We verified with Banco Vivienda with Ms. Hache (an official) who kindly opened the listing directory, verifiying that the vacant lot was zoned for 3 condominium buildings, limited to 3 levels in each building. Eight months ago we returned from a two week visit to Miami, and found our neighbors greatly upset that a meeting was called while we were away, by a builder & engineer accompanied by a lawyer to assault us with news that they had received permits in violation of existing law, to construct 4 buildings, with 4 levels (floors). I visited the Santo Domingo building Dept. and was told that they had authorized the violation of existing law offering no logical explanation and we had absolutely no recourse other than to smile and accept their erroneous decision. My previous experience in the US permitted someone so violated to bring the offending party to court for satisfaction. Apparently not so in the DR. Such justice simply put does not exist here as I sadly learned. My neighbors & friends living here in Santo Domingo advised me ?DON?T WASTE YOUR TIME & MONEY? as ?SOMEONE HAD THE CORRECT CONNECTION?. I am now seeking a lawyer to sue for damages specifically for the devaluation and damage to my property, all done in violation of an existing building code law, now changed to satisfy the violator. I pose two questions, 1.DO I HAVE ANY RIGHTS ? 2. IS THE ADVICE GIVEN ME NOT TO WASTE MY TIME & MONEY CORRECT? And now for my third and final question, 3. IS THERE A LAWYER OUT THERE WHO CAN DEFEND MY INTERST IN COURT, ON A CONTINGENCY BASIS WHO WANTS TO SEE JUSTICE DONE, AND AT LEAST BRING THIS MATTER BEFORE THE PUBLIC?
THIS NONESENSE OF VIOLATING INDIVIDUALS RIGHTS MUST STOP FOR THE SAKE OF RESIDENTS OF THIS BEAUTIFUL, BUT ABUSED COUNTRY. kindly advise.

It may be that their zoning by-laws can amended as can happen here in North America. Yes, the by-law may regulate height & density on certain lands, but here, you can always apply for an amendment to the zoning by-law. They are often approved, even when the area residents don't support it, if justification can be provided that it is logical & sound (in whose opinion is a good question). One example is if there was another 4 storey building close to the same property. When such applications are approved, here in Ontario, area residents can appeal to the Ontario Municipal Board, a body that often sides with the developer.

If there was a meeting with the area residents, it sounds as though this may have been their 'public meeting'. If you can't find out more from the city officials, I suggest you contact a lawyer to get to the bottom of it. Good luck.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I think unless you have some strong connections and deep pockets you're wasting your time and money as someone else already suggested. This is The DR...what I'm more surprised about is that there are any zoning laws at all that anyone is trying to follow. Usually you just build whatever height you feel like and wherever you feel like. The city will come around asking for their money for the "permit" which of course you pay under the table...What a country!!!

ElPuma

Jun 28, 2005
if the other party has connections you can do nothing, if not may be you can check it with a good lawer,

you can do nothing, I mean: you can do something, but it does not worth the effort.

anyway welcome to DR!! :)

blastdiaz

Aug 15, 2005
Porfirio said:
thanks for your response. Regarding contingency lawyers, we are now involved in a class action suit against Bancredito, Banco Leon and Banco Central. Over 100 plaintiffs such as myself are represented by biaggi & Mesina on a contingency basis. The courts have already rendered a ruling that the Defendents, Bancredito, (Pelleranos) Banco Leon, and Banco Central must pay us including interest due. We patiently await payment, and pray it will come. We have not approaced Baiggi & Mesina yet. But it is sad that such a defeatist atmosphere prevails here in the DR, that those with connections, or power can do whatever they want and violate our rights. Yet Baez Figueroa, Pepe Goico Sam Goodson are still free.And those involved in Plan Renove go unpunished. Paulino Corrino operated with impunity for many years until the US DEA stepped in. Paulino apparently had been bribing many people up to the highest levels resulting in many being extradited to New York to stand trial.

This is exactly what I was talking about on my response to the people of Ascot advisory. The legal recourses in my dear DR only exist for those with the extreme hold on the power and the rest of the population just accepts.

This is one of the things I warned them about and not disclosing when they sell the dominican republic as a heaven and a paradize island. People need to understand that a corrupt system exists here and that it will take a lot of effort and time. It is sad that a lot of retirees are going to find out about this the HARD way.

Good luck