Buying land in a "problematic parcel"

noel

Dec 29, 2004
We are contemplating buying a piece of land that belongs to a "problematic parcel". It seems that this parcel is famously difficult to deal with, because it belongs to a very large family, and because of a history of murky transactions involving some parts of it. We have been told horror stories about people who fork over money (and obtain a "title"), thinking they are buying a piece of land, only to be visited by someone who claims to be a member of the family that owns the parcel and claims to have a right to the piece of land. Or, we hear about people who buy something only to be told that it didn't belong to the person who sold it.

Now, I understand that there's a proper process to purchasing real estate. Anybody who just pays money without following this process is an idiot. I understand that the deslinde is the key to legally identifying the piece of land. I've read through this forum and I've read Dr. Guzman's articles. But I'm still very unclear on whether or not we can reasonably expect to carry through a solid, correct transaction if we follow all the rules.

It seems to me that in our case we would need to make the sale of the land contingent on the issuance of a deslinde. We're dealing with a completely undeveloped piece of countryside, and a fisherman who lives in a hut with no phone and claims to be the owner. There is an attorney who promises to provide a copy of the title, but from what I've been told, such a piece of paper is not particularly reliable, even after it has been authenticated with the agency that registers these documents. Based on what I've heard, nothing is guaranteed until the deslinde is in order.

So is it possible to make a sale contingent on the deslinde? Wouldn't it be insane to do otherwise? And who would (normally) pay for that deslinde process?

Also: what sorts of complications could prevent the issuance of a deslinde? Are the stories true -- for instance, can relatives materialize out of nowhere (the adopted stepchild of the third wife of the great-grandson of the family patriarch, say), and hold up or even stop the process?

Moreover, is it possible to find an attorney who will agree on a fixed price to manage the entire transaction? We do not want to walk into an open-ended process, in which an attorney bills us by the hour, tells us that he/she's working on all kinds of complicated bureaucratic procedures, and at the end presents us with (1) a gigantic bill and (2) the news that, unfortunately, the deslinde cannot be obtained, or some other obstacle will prevent the safe completion of the transaction.

It's very hard to distinguish fact from horror stories & gossip in what we've been told. Many people seem to be suggesting that this is an impossibly complicated situation in which there's very little legal protection for a buyer. We'd like to get some clear guidance on this. Obviously we need an attorney, but not one who is going to try to attach a spigot to our piggy bank.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

noel

Dec 29, 2004
Just Because. (No, kidding.)

JDJones said:
I'm sorry I can't give you an answer, but I would like to ask... Why??
Why would you want to put yourself through what most certainly is going to be a major headache?

In a way, part of the reason is that it might be a headache. Not that we're masochists, but rather that we might be able to do something that we'd otherwise be unable to afford, in exchange for putting up with a lot of annoyances. Those who want smooth sailing all the way and can just pour out the cash to "make it so" are more than welcome, of course. We ourselves don't mind putting up with additional grief if it makes it possible to do something desirable. What I'm trying to gauge, though, is whether what we're looking at is doable at all, or if simply (1) the legal system isn't set up to offer adequate protection no matter how many precautions you take, and/or (2) attorneys here don't want to operate on the basis of "getting the job done", but insist on open-ended, hourly billing arrangements.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Why don't you contact a title insurance company. This situation is what title insurance is for. Stewart Title is one on the island. In fact I just saw an advertisement on DR1.http://stewartdr.com/

Last edited:

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
JDJones said:
I'm sorry I can't give you an answer, but I would like to ask... Why??
Why would you want to put yourself through what most certainly is going to be a major headache?

Got the same impression, sounds like what we got here is a problematic buyer and not a 'problematic parcel'.

noel

Dec 29, 2004
That's funny -- I wonder if something in my original post made me sound "problematic" or "greedy", or if I'm just getting that sort of feedback from people who would tend toward such comments in any case. I can't imagine what's "problematic" about wanting to approach a decision with a full awareness of the facts and probabilities, and I can't see what's "greedy" about wanting to avoid losing hard-earned cash thanks to a failure to do "due diligence" (to use an overused phrase). Perhaps those of you who've made such comments just enjoy different economic circumstances than I: congratulations.

It will be great to get some feedback from anybody who has some actual perspective on the issues involved; I guess the other sorts of comments (like these last two) will just help me know who not to take seriously.

noel

Dec 29, 2004
HOWMAR said:
Why don't you contact a title insurance company. This situation is what title insurance is for. Stewart Title is one on the island. In fact I just saw an advertisement on DR1.http://stewartdr.com/
Thanks -- I will look into that more, but some other posts in this forum gave me the impression that title insurance will not necessarily help too much. If I recall correctly, and understood correctly, some comments by Dr. Guzman on this topic, the government-organized title insurance system has never raised enough funds to actually be effective, and (I get the impression) the private efforts are quite new and probably untested. I looked at the ad you linked, but I wonder how I can know that this firm is really able to live up to their promises.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
If the matter is as problematic as you say it is, I suggest that you go to at least two reputable real estate attorneys with all the documents in your possession and pay for a consultation on what to do and how much it would cost to do it. After that, you can decide if the risks and costs are worth it.

Consultations are not that expensive and most attorneys will give you credit for the amount paid if you hire them to do the job.

noel

Dec 29, 2004
Will title insurance really help?

Does anyone know of any cases where a title insurance claim in the DR has been paid?

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
From what I understand Stewart Title is a Panamanian company and has no connection with Stewart title in the US. I know of no one that has successfully filed a claim with them and been paid.

I think only greedy people go into deals here that are questionable because they can get the property at below market value and those are the ones that get stung the hardest and fastest.

I have done possibly 20 Real Estate transactions and have negotiated on 3 to 5x that amount in the last 3 years. I had a deal that was suppose to close on Tuesday go bad. I have a deal that is suppose to close next week that I have been working on for 4 months with both an anxious seller and me an anxious buyer and clear title.

Seller hired a attorney that wouldn't even quote him a firm price on the closing and the property is just a 1/2 acre lot. Hourly rate without any idea of a ceiling or how much. Finally the seller is going to use the same attorney I use and maybe we get the deal done.

The fact that you have an expectation that a attorney is going to charge you what YOU consider reasonable for a closing that is problematic makes me curious as to if you have any experience in R.E.. It also makes me curious if you have any idea about how hard things can get in the Dominican Republic when you try to get something of this sort done.

Good luck in all your endeavors.

" I can't see what's "greedy" about wanting to avoid losing hard-earned cash thanks to a failure to do "due diligence" (to use an overused phrase). Perhaps those of you who've made such comments just enjoy different economic circumstances than I: congratulations."

It isn't greedy to avoid losing hard earned cash thanks to a failure to do Due Diligence.

It is greedy to try to purchase a undervalued property because it is laced with many problems and not expect to pay a attorney a lot of money for a lot of work just so you can purchase a property that is undervalued.

You are looking for a attorney to underwrite your good deal which AIN'T going to happen. Hell the attorneys will eat your lunch just as fast as anyone else here or faster and you may still end up with nothing.

Greedy people in my experience here are the ones that take that little chance on something questionable thinking they have that legal system back home to fall back on which they do NOT here. I could name names of people right here on this board that have done just this and have later cried in their beers. They were ALSO very confident in their smarts and knowledge they imported here from other countries.

Now that you know who NOT to take seriously I am anxious to see how your deal comes out. Please keep us informed. I wish you luck whether I think you are greedy or not.

Escott

noel

Dec 29, 2004
Hey, I appreciate that detailed reply...seriously. :classic:

I don't have a gigantic amount of real estate experience, certainly nothing like your impressive resume. I also definitely don't have any expectations about the legal system here. I know that when it comes to legal matters, or anything else, that it is foolish to expect things to be the same in one country as in another. Things are wildly different in real estate between various parts of the US, for that matter. And nothing about the history of this country, or the volatility in just about every aspect of the "civic body", causes me to think that I am likely to find any solid institutions that will give me a "guarantee" of any value. This is the background of risk and uncertainty against which I'm simply trying to judge the relative risk of one particular possibility.

I have no conceptual problem with paying an attorney for real and necessary work. I don't expect someone else to underwrite these efforts by agreeing to a level of compensation that doesn't match their actual efforts. On the other hand, I do think it's silly that some attorneys want to charge prices that would be considered steep in, say, New York. And I do want to find someone who will help me form some reasonable expectations, not someone who will just start a tab and lead me down a path that likely ends at a brick wall. I don't want to get into a super-complicated process if it is highly likely to fail. That isn't just about paying attorney fees -- it's about putting money for the purchase at risk. I still have no idea whether it's possible to trust escrow agents here, for instance. In the US there have been a number of cases of attorneys stealing money from their clients' escrow accounts. Sure they get prosecuted, but recovering the stolen money is tough. Somehow I doubt the situation is more secure here.

If being "greedy" is about some kind of moral relationship to "market price", then I just have this to say: from my naive, purist, point of view, "market price" is just about the most arbitrary thing in the world. The prices that some people are asking for properties in some parts of the DR are absolutely nuts. I realize that there are enough people able & willing to pay ridiculous prices, and that some people have a vested interest in keeping prices at these crazy levels and continuing to push them into the stratosphere, but I also believe we all recognize that "market price" is nothing more than what people are willing to pay. Perhaps there's enough buying power and enough desire on the part of those with huge chunks of money to throw around to completely price everyone else out, but on the chance there isn't, we're trying to evaluate an opportunity that is within our pretty limited means. I don't see "greedy" as really fitting this situation. Either it will work, or not.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
I can probably tell you a million stories in my limited time and experience here. What you are looking at is something I would turn around and run from as fast as I can. Deals on properties WITHOUT problems are sometimes difficult enough to make you pull all your hair out.

I did a deal in July where I said I was going to put XXX with a attorney when I have an excepted offer and the balance when it closes which should be as soon as possible. I then had to fight off the seller from trying to take that XXX from the attorney after the accepted offer. I didn't care if the deal didn't close because of this but I wouldn't turn over 1 penny to anyone until I got what I was paying for. The attorney I use I trust and have used him for all the deals that I have done. Take my word for it even that is not an easy thing to accomplish here. I bought the property but it was possible the whole time that I wouldnt. No feeling of confidence at all. However the only person I advanced money to was the surveyor who showed me the property lines.

My first thought after reading your message was greed. It was the way you connected the difficulty the deal to NOT wanting to pay a lot to a attorney.

Second thought after going back to read all your posts are simply limited finances. My thoughts are that this won't become a good deal for you because you have something to lose without any guarantee of success at the end judging by what you said.

The list of people that have been burned here in a real estate deal is so long it would stretch around the world a few times:)

If you are going to go ahead with this deal be prepared to spend money before you even find out if you will own anything in the end. This is something I never do.

Good luck.

Escott

PS> Value of a property is a minimum of what someone will pay for it.

stan.bc

Oct 16, 2004
noel said:
So is it possible to make a sale contingent on the deslinde? Wouldn't it be insane to do otherwise? And who would (normally) pay for that deslinde process?

Also: what sorts of complications could prevent the issuance of a deslinde? Are the stories true -- for instance, can relatives materialize out of nowhere (the adopted stepchild of the third wife of the great-grandson of the family patriarch, say), and hold up or even stop the process?

Moreover, is it possible to find an attorney who will agree on a fixed price to manage the entire transaction?

Thanks to all the folks who have clarified the attorney issue, but any takers for the former questions?

PS. You having deslinde means no one can ever dispute your rights to the land, right?

Dominicanscotti

Jun 30, 2005
stan.bc said:
Thanks to all the folks who have clarified the attorney issue, but any takers for the former questions?

PS. You having deslinde means no one can ever dispute your rights to the land, right?
My information on Deslinde is that when you buy a piece of property that is part of a bigger piece it says in your deed a meets and bounds measurment withing another property. I deslinde just separates the property but I don't think it gives you any further rights. I can be wrong but this is what I have been led to believe.

Escott

mrmagic

Nov 25, 2003
dont worry about these smart a@#'s, ignore them. You asked a question and people reply with stupid comments. ive seen so much hostility on this site its frightening. Hope you find the answers you look for
cheers

noel said:
That's funny -- I wonder if something in my original post made me sound "problematic" or "greedy", or if I'm just getting that sort of feedback from people who would tend toward such comments in any case. I can't imagine what's "problematic" about wanting to approach a decision with a full awareness of the facts and probabilities, and I can't see what's "greedy" about wanting to avoid losing hard-earned cash thanks to a failure to do "due diligence" (to use an overused phrase). Perhaps those of you who've made such comments just enjoy different economic circumstances than I: congratulations.

It will be great to get some feedback from anybody who has some actual perspective on the issues involved; I guess the other sorts of comments (like these last two) will just help me know who not to take seriously.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
mrmagic said:
dont worry about these smart a@#'s, ignore them. You asked a question and people reply with stupid comments. ive seen so much hostility on this site its frightening. Hope you find the answers you look for
cheers

Some might.. but I think Escott provided a lot of good advice after initially beign a bit of a cynic...

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
MerengueDutchie said:
Some might.. but I think Escott provided a lot of good advice after initially beign a bit of a cynic...
I wasn't a cynic but responding to his statements. I did check his other posts and had a change of heart about what drove him but you can't take the time to read all the past posts of every poster. It was just the way he phrased it that got me.

Most people do NOT know how difficult things can be here. Most people do a lot of Blah Blah on the message boards with absolutely no intentions of following through with anything and other people here are as serious as a heart attack. It is also hard to separate the wheat from the chaff. Especially when you hear about all the Botero's from Canada talking about their sankies!

I digress. I felt that the guy was a serious guy and wasn't dreaming about getting over on a lawyer here so I tried to give him all the info and experience I have.

I don't think I was hostile either but everyone is entitled to their opinion. Hell one woman I think I helped out called me unprofessional which hurt me deeply:)

Escott