1st trip, & lots of ????

Jenn M

Sep 8, 2005
Hi

My husband will be going to DR with Boeing to do some repair work on an airliner in Punta Cana. This was fairly last minute as a result of the Boeing strike (not scabbing, but in mgmt). It looks like my daughter (12) and I may have the opportunity to go and visit him. I really know nothing about the DR with the exception of what I have learned recently doing searches on this board.

We have traveled on a cruise to the Eastern Caribbean & visited St. Martin and St. Thomas but that is about the extent of my experience. There seems to be a level of caution when I mention to anyone that we may be going there, kind of those - wow, I'd be careful looks- I've read different posts and I don't seem to get the idea that it is an unsafe place to go. It seems as though lots of people travel there for leisure. Can those of you with experience give me some general info on the area? I know that's a broad question, but I really know very little.

We would be staying at the Punta Cana resort and club. We are not what I would say adventurous types but DD is an avid horsebackrider and I see they have stables on site, so we'd be interested in doing that. What other things are there to do besides go to the beach (which we will be doing for sure!)? What type of shopping is there in that area and what are the wares associated with DR?

My husband had to receive several shots before he could go. Is this a usual thing that tourists do before they visit? Is this a good destination to take a 12 year old? Any tips or advice? I'd appreciate any imput. It's all happened so fast and I feel a little nervous about going, but don't want to pass up the opportunity either!

Thanks
Jenn

Exxtol

Jun 27, 2005
Nothing to worry about.........

Jenn M said:
Hi

My husband will be going to DR with Boeing to do some repair work on an airliner in Punta Cana. This was fairly last minute as a result of the Boeing strike (not scabbing, but in mgmt). It looks like my daughter (12) and I may have the opportunity to go and visit him. I really know nothing about the DR with the exception of what I have learned recently doing searches on this board.

We have traveled on a cruise to the Eastern Caribbean & visited St. Martin and St. Thomas but that is about the extent of my experience. There seems to be a level of caution when I mention to anyone that we may be going there, kind of those - wow, I'd be careful looks- I've read different posts and I don't seem to get the idea that it is an unsafe place to go. It seems as though lots of people travel there for leisure. Can those of you with experience give me some general info on the area? I know that's a broad question, but I really know very little.

We would be staying at the Punta Cana resort and club. We are not what I would say adventurous types but DD is an avid horsebackrider and I see they have stables on site, so we'd be interested in doing that. What other things are there to do besides go to the beach (which we will be doing for sure!)? What type of shopping is there in that area and what are the wares associated with DR?

My husband had to receive several shots before he could go. Is this a usual thing that tourists do before they visit? Is this a good destination to take a 12 year old? Any tips or advice? I'd appreciate any imput. It's all happened so fast and I feel a little nervous about going, but don't want to pass up the opportunity either!

Thanks
Jenn

Those folks that gave you the I'd be careful looks are just way too paranoid and ignorant of a beautiful country. If you were going to la capital (Santo Domingo) then I would give you a list of not-to-do's, but in my opinion Punta Cana is one of the safest places to be on the island--especially if you're staying on an all-inclusive resort. They've got guards......and plenty of them--not that you will need them though. Punta Cana is truly what the post cards are made out of--palms trees, beautiful water, and oh did i mention palm trees? If you have common sense you will be fine.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Punta Cana is a collection of all inclusive resorts and does not have a town or city, so dont' expect anything in terms of shopping except for a few small shopping plaza to pick up some cheesy t-shirts.

Its probably safer than most American towns and even the shots they gave you are pretty much a waste of money and time unless you plan on spending time in the bush.

Enjoy your vacation.

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
Hi Jenn,

Do a few searches on the site and most of your questions will be answered.

There is a lot of info on Punta Cana and the resorts there, just take everything you read with a grain of salt as these are interpretations of other peoples experiences, my opinion, go without expectations and you will be absolutely delighted by the surroundings, beach and activities.

Stay well,
Amy

Jenn M

Sep 8, 2005
Thanks everyone for the info. I was looking at a couple of other DR info sites and was a little concerned about the malaria warnings. It was referring only to the Puna Canta area and Haiti. I really don't feel like I want to take this med they were referring too. I'm probably more concerned because of taking DD. What are your thoughts?

Also, a couple of trivial questions! Does the televisions in the resorts have any American stations, news, CNN etc? And (more important) liquor or package stores in the area or anything like that in the airport at PC?

Thanks again in advance!
Jenn

jellylegs2002

Apr 9, 2005
malaria

Jenn M said:
Thanks everyone for the info. I was looking at a couple of other DR info sites and was a little concerned about the malaria warnings. It was referring only to the Puna Canta area and Haiti. I really don't feel like I want to take this med they were referring too. I'm probably more concerned because of taking DD. What are your thoughts?

Also, a couple of trivial questions! Does the televisions in the resorts have any American stations, news, CNN etc? And (more important) liquor or package stores in the area or anything like that in the airport at PC?

Thanks again in advance!
Jenn

I've asked a similar question about malaria, and have been told only the Uk are told to take the tablets, which i did do, but i was never bitten, both times i've been i guess u have to make the decision urself whether you want to take it or not. Also the tv's in the hotel do have lots of american stations.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Jenn M said:

Thanks again in advance!
Jenn
All the resorts have cable with CNN and ABC, CBS and NBC stations, usually the New York affiliates. In the DR you are never more than 100 yards from a liquor outlet. If you are interested in imported brands, even at the duty free at the airport, there are no bargains.