SunCamp in Puerto Plata

Rickyrubio

Jan 7, 2004
I recently visited the Dominican Republic and stayed at a residence deep in the mountains near Puerto Plata. This has to have been the best experience of my life - a great place to stay with lots of fun activities - and the best thing of all!! It's Dominican!! Not holiday resort or sunbeds and tequilas that are shielded from the reality of Dominican life - you live in a small community - where real Dominicans get on with their everyday lives - and in there usual warm and open way welcome you into their lives and way of life. I made many friends there - from 80 year old ladies to little school boys who wanted to play football with you - and not only this - but it is very cheap compared to the prices Western tourists pay in the resorts. The suncamp residence is a complex of 15 appartments all built from scratch by a Canadian lady who bought a piece of inaccessible jungle some 17 years ago with a dream of converting it into a paradise for anyone who was brave enough to want to get away from the regimented holiday resorts. I met people from Sweden, America, France, Italy and China when I was there - a real international community of adventurers in that little paradise. And if you want to go to the beach - well one of the best in the country is just down the road. If you want to go the other way - you can grab a horse a ride up into the mountains to see many of the fantastic waterfalls that only the locals know about. If you want a real adventure holiday - to get away from the rat race and experience tropical life the way it really is - you can go easily if you go on the suncamp website!! Enjoy!! ;)

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Cronin_Andrea said:
Share the link?

Thx

No, she he or it shouldn't since this is a common fake post about a place that gets all sorts of complaints.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Dragonfly32837 said:
Oh, wow! So this is all fake?
The place exists but by most accounts (one's like this excepted) it is barely fit for habitation.

Every few months a newbie seems to come out of the woodwork; praise this place under one of it's ever changing names and then disappear back into the ether. The inevitable comments from the regulars may be ignored or refuted with indignation but the pattern is well established and predictable.

To be honest - it's getting boring.

Gregg

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
In the Yahoo groups, there is a setting offered to moderators which does not allow a first time poster to post, until it is approved.
This can eliminate a good portion of these spammers & sock puppets.
Perhaps the same could be done here.
If nothing else, just delete the whole thread

Elliot

Aug 30, 2005
I agree with Robert

Let these threads run. Being new to the site and trying to plan a honeymoon, I've posted questions on here in the past. I've received more emails directly to my mailbox then replies to my post. It's nice for me to be able to read the true story from all of you regulars rather than get an email from one of those "sock-puppets" lauding their resort. I'm sure it is old hat for many of you, but your responses truly help me make decisions. Thanks!!

Rickyrubio

Jan 7, 2004
Dear all,
first of all, I'm not a first timer and I know everybody that goes to stay at Diane's resort comes with different expectations and therefore ends up with a different opinion of the place. I went to stay with Diane and her Dominicans friends (just because they're black, that doesn't mean they're haitians, and what's wrong with the haitians anyway?) in 2002. Having just finished my studies, my intention was to live in the REAL Dominican Republic not in a 4 star beach resort which most of you seem to be looking for and try to get on the cheap. I did not expect paradise, I have lived in a third world country before and realized before going that a lot of Diane's words were a sales pitch but that did not bother me because I liked the independance and sense of humour of discovery which any first world stranger will feel when they find that they have to make a life for themselves away from the comforts of home.
I went looking for adventure and that's what I got, and adventure is not always air-conditionning and margaritas on balconies.

Rickyrubio

Jan 7, 2004
one more thing - I was able to get a lot of things done through Diane because she has a lot of contacts in the community, like bike repairs, find a doctor, plumber, cleaner, builder that would not try to scam you, I worked as an English teacher in a private school for 8 months, helped organise horse-back riding tours for tourists, and also taught several Haitians ENglish for free because they were too poor to pay me. At the end of the day I wanted to go there to live like a Dominican, not like a tourist - yes it was tough and there were moments when I felt like the sucker, but overall it was a lot of fun. You want to get all your home comforts and have a 5-star Caribbean experience cheaply, through a woman you meet OVER THE INTERNET- well let me tell you half the time you should be looking to get fleeced - stick to your multinational travel agencies if you want to believe every single thing they put in their brochure. I would like to see some of you lot go and set up your own business in a corrupt, impoverished nation like that and last more than 5 minutes. She may not be 100% trustworthy but believe me - I did a lot of business with a lot of Dominicans whilst there and they are much worse.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Singing another tune...

That's one heck of a turnaround, Ricky, from your original post, suggesting that it's a wonderful place to go for a holiday.

Rickyrubio said:
She may not be 100% trustworthy but believe me - I did a lot of business with a lot of Dominicans whilst there and they are much worse.
To summarize... You agree that she is not to be trusted, but you still reccommend her, because Dominicans are even more dishonest?

Rickyrubio said:
first of all, I'm not a first timer... I went to stay with Diane and her Dominicans friends in 2002.
When Greg wrote,
FireGuy said:
Every few months a newbie seems to come out of the woodwork; praise this place under one of it's ever changing names and then disappear back into the ether.
He was refering to people like you, and several other sock puppets who are first time posters, not first time visitors.

Rickyrubio said:
I went to stay with Diane and her Dominicans friends (just because they're black, that doesn't mean they're haitians, and what's wrong with the haitians anyway?) in 2002.
So you would have us believe that you went there in 2002, stayed for 8 months, and now, out of the blue, in 2005, you suddenly got an urge to post this raving review?
Are you so IQ challenged that you believe that others are so stupid that they will believe all this BS?