Got a cell phone

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
So here I am in the US for some days accompanying my mom whose health is failing. Took my Orange cell phone to Cingular and the good news was that I was able to get a US number for US$10 + US$15 for the minutes (at US$0.25 the minute). I get to keep the number if I renew, as it expires if not recharged every 30 days. Was able to do so because my phone was of the open kind. Simple as that, in 10 minutes in the shop had my phone.

This would work both ways. So anyone in the US could just visit and Orange shop and get a local DR number and be mobile in the DR. Super!

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Dolores said:
So here I am in the US for some days accompanying my mom whose health is failing. Took my Orange cell phone to Cingular and the good news was that I was able to get a US number for US$10 + US$15 for the minutes (at US$0.25 the minute). I get to keep the number if I renew, as it expires if not recharged every 30 days. Was able to do so because my phone was of the open kind. Simple as that, in 10 minutes in the shop had my phone.

This would work both ways. So anyone in the US could just visit and Orange shop and get a local DR number and be mobile in the DR. Super!
Sorry to hear about your Mom, I wish her a quick recovery.

When you return to the DR, do you know if your phone will automatically work with your DR telephone number, or will you have to reconnect with Orange?

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
rellosk said:
Sorry to hear about your Mom, I wish her a quick recovery.

When you return to the DR, do you know if your phone will automatically work with your DR telephone number, or will you have to reconnect with Orange?

Same procedure. Just switch the chip to reconnect to my local Orange number in the DR. To keep the US number, though, have to make the monthly payment.

What looks like is that anyone who has an open cingular phone could do the same by visiting an Orange shop in the DR and getting a local chip/number to be mobile again.

With pay phones becoming so scarce, I would recommend that anyone deciding to rent a car or travel throughout the country, or who would want to stay connected with family and friends get a local number.

Bachatadutchie

Jan 7, 2005
Exactly!

Dolores said:
Same procedure. Just switch the chip to reconnect to my local Orange number in the DR. To keep the US number, though, have to make the monthly payment.

What looks like is that anyone who has an open cingular phone could do the same by visiting an Orange shop in the DR and getting a local chip/number to be mobile again.

With pay phones becoming so scarce, I would recommend that anyone deciding to rent a car or travel throughout the country, or who would want to stay connected with family and friends get a local number.

This is exactly what I always do when I am visiting the DR. All you need is a (for Europeans, tri-band) phone without simlock. Just buy a sim card (chip) at the local Orange shop and you're in business. It's much cheaper if people call you on your new local number than on your regular number.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
It Is Also Great When Your Phone Breaks.

You just get another phone,and drop in your "chip" and away you go.Don't have to go to a cell phone store or anything! CC