"Embuste"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
My wife used this word the other day. One that I had forgotten. Not a mentira, I guess a little softer. When I asked her to define it, she just kind of giggled. My sister-in-law just returned from the DR and my brother-inlaw was getting ready to great his sister and he said under his breathe, "queire saber dos or tres imbutes". Tom F.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Tom F. said:
My wife used this word the other day. One that I had forgotten. Not a mentira, I guess a little softer. When I asked her to define it, she just kind of giggled. My sister-in-law just returned from the DR and my brother-inlaw was getting ready to great his sister and he said under his breathe, "queire saber dos or tres imbutes". Tom F.

em?bus?te
m.
1. - hoax, fraud
2. (mentira) - lie, fib

em?bus?te?ro
adj. - lying, deceitful

m., f. liar, cheat

Yahoo Dictionary Spa/Eng

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Sorry for the misspelling, I guess I learned Dominican rather than Spanish. Tom F.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Tom F. said:
Sorry for the misspelling, I guess I learned Dominican rather than Spanish. Tom F.

Sorry? you feel contrite? embarrassed? when all you made was a bonafide inquiry? My post was a bonafide contribution to your question, and all my answer inspires is an apology? I don't understand!

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I was trying to make a joke. That is one of the reasons I tend not to post too much on this board. I forgot when I asked my wife how to spell it she said it started with an e. The missing s, is purely Dominican. When I told her it is has an s, she was suprised. Tom F.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
I was also joking ;-). I used your response to practice mock outrage, and polishing my written English in the process. I apologize if I confused you. Keep posting!

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Mirador, thanks for the link. I've been looking for an online dictionary.

Tom F., good question. Can anyone confirm that embustera is softer than mentirosa? Which would you use jokingly?

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
This!!

rellosk said:
Mirador, thanks for the link. I've been looking for an online dictionary.

Tom F., good question. Can anyone confirm that embustera is softer than mentirosa? Which would you use jokingly?
How about "habladora" (or jabladora in dominican) or "lenguetera" or "lengua larga" or "hablas hasta por los codos" or the tigueres favorite: "tu hablas mas mierda, lengua larga". LOL.

Enough?. NOOOO. Well, how about:

"lengua de acero" or "hablanchina" or "lengua portable".......

dprasociad

Feb 9, 2004
Todo ?embuste? es ?mentira?

embuste:

Disfrazada con artificio.
Desfigurar la forma natural de alguien o de algo para que no sea conocido.
Disimular, desfigurar con palabras y expresiones lo que se siente.

IN plain english:

to hide, to camouflage, to magnify, to defraud

Now remenber that( source is M?rquez Rodr?guez):

Todo ?embuste? es ?mentira?, pero no toda ?mentira? es ?embuste?.

Status
Not open for further replies.