Ortiz and Guerrero step up to the plate

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002

Nice shot of the 455ft. bomb the other night eh?

Great Story about some Dominican baseball players that get it. And happen to be my two favorite thank you.

May 12, 2005
It's great too see those guys step up and help out and thank America for giving them the opportunity to become what they are. But that said, Ortiz is still a Red Sox............. so no one's perfect

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
maybe i'm just acting like a fan....but I have never seen a better clutch hitter than Ortiz..

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Where's Manny's contribution?

I'm sure he's added something to the kitty, but I happened to run across these numbers recently and wondered why he didn't just flip a 'mil' into the hat.

2006 SALARY
Manny Ramirez $20,000,000
David Ortiz $6,250,000

(I mean "mil" in English ;) ).

Donations

Don King donated $100,000 the other day at his showtime boxing in Cleveland at the Gunn arena.

Theses guys asking every pro player to donate $1000 or $5000 while it will help is ridiculous when they could easily match Don Kings donation and not even put a dent in their cash coffers.

Hell guys like Escott can afford a donation of a grand.

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Great article on 2 of the DR's best

Cleef said:

Nice shot of the 455ft. bomb the other night eh?

Great Story about some Dominican baseball players that get it. And happen to be my two favorite thank you.

Completely agreed. Ortiz is the man, and I've always dug Vlad's game. Quick question though: does Vlad not speak English? Or is not comfortable interviewing in English? Really just a question.

If only the Yankees didn't make such a brain-fart two years ago and sign Gary Sheffield instead of Vlad, Vlad would really get his due recognition as one of the game's best.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
toneloc24 said:
Completely agreed. Ortiz is the man, and I've always dug Vlad's game. Quick question though: does Vlad not speak English? Or is not comfortable interviewing in English? Really just a question.

If only the Yankees didn't make such a brain-fart two years ago and sign Gary Sheffield instead of Vlad, Vlad would really get his due recognition as one of the game's best.
I'm not sure Vlad would have agreed to NY. I don't think that fits his personality too well.

Vlad doesn't do any interviews in English. He's sheepish about his English skills, he understands quite well, just won't use it to speak.

Vlad makes great money, is beloved by his teammates and he's the most feared hitter in all of baseball. Believe me, with the people that count, he gets his due aplenty.

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Cleef said:
I'm not sure Vlad would have agreed to NY. I don't think that fits his personality too well.

Vlad doesn't do any interviews in English. He's sheepish about his English skills, he understands quite well, just won't use it to speak.

Vlad makes great money, is beloved by his teammates and he's the most feared hitter in all of baseball. Believe me, with the people that count, he gets his due aplenty.

Completely agreed, esp. about his personality and the danger in facing him at the plate or trying to run on that arm.

He does get his due. However, I think playing in Anaheim and Montreal kinda hinders his just-due. He's a great player and person, fully deserving of the accolades. Just too bad the Yankees didn't put the full press on him.

Not even a money thing, just a RF fixture thing for the rest of his career. He reminds of the type of player from the Yankees of the 90's. Completely effective, but not flashy.

Plus, Washington Heights could've had another positive hero in the city.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Never in NY

Yankees didn't "want" him.

i.e. they would have had to pay way above market to get him, and he still might not have agreed to it. The Yankees would then be blamed for driving up the price on a player. Basically, his agent would have been using the Yankees, both sides knew that.

He gets his due, he's just not overexposed, like the Jeters (that guy loves cameras more than oxygen).

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
your a funny man

Cleef said:

i.e. they would have had to pay way above market to get him, and he still might not have agreed to it. The Yankees would then be blamed for driving up the price on a player. Basically, his agent would have been using the Yankees, both sides knew that.

He gets his due, he's just not overexposed, like the Jeters (that guy loves cameras more than oxygen).

jeter ... has played in front of the most exposed crowds in baseball and produced , 25 media people in his face before and after the game.... every game. ;)

You really think that val,manny, david, can do that?

Their agents need stats for money. :eek: ....therefore they are just a little shy. SO step up to the plate and see what your stats would be in the big pressure city.

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Cleef said:

Couldn't stay away from the cheap shots, huh. LOL!!!

4 WS titles. Named captain of the most successful sport team in the WORLD!!! He doesn't seek out the cameras, the cameras search for him.

And guess what? He doesn't disappoint...by running into the left field wall to take a piss in the middle of the game either. Real class act there you got there in Manny.

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
easygoin said:
Their agents need stats for money. :eek: ....therefore they are just a little shy. SO step up to the plate and see what your stats would be in the big pressure city.

You think Vlad couldn't hit in NY because of pressure? ha ha, that's funny.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Getting back to the original topic........

I think it it terrific that these guys took the initiative to to do this. I especially admire and appreciate David Ortiz comments.

Good job guys!

Larry

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Just to get back on topic (although it's Cleef's thread and maybe he wants to change the direction and have the usual NY/Boston diatribe that get threads closed...), if we are talking class acts, you have to mention Albert Pujols. Besides being one of the top 5 players in the game, he seems like an incredible human being. I saw a piece on TV that really showed how special he is.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
What a difference a year makes!

toneloc24 said:
Couldn't stay away from the cheap shots, huh. LOL!!!

4 WS titles. Named captain of the most successful sport team in the WORLD!!! He doesn't seek out the cameras, the cameras search for him.

And guess what? He doesn't disappoint...by running into the left field wall to take a piss in the middle of the game either. Real class act there you got there in Manny.
Tonedeaf, we've been agreeing waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much lately, i knew it couldn't last ;)

I'm beside myself at how touchy Yankee fans are now. You miserable people are running around with glass in your pants. So So Soooooooooo touchy.

Please understand, I think Jeter is a fantastic baseball player. I really and truly do.

However, he's the biggest camera monger since George Bush hit the elevated portions of Louisiana. He seeks the camera like no one I've ever witnessed, he sits next to the YES camera in the dugout, he's the first one on the top step of the dugout (visible from the stationary camera). He reminds me of Canseco in his batter's box theatrics. He's a camera hog like no other.

But like they say, if you can walk the walk....

Manny isn't the captain of the Saaaaaaaaaawx. They've tried to unload him like the kids try to unload steering wheel covers on Lincoln and 27th. Hey, it's just Manny being Manny.

The captain of the Saaaaaaaaaawx is the epitome of all that is good in sport, baseball and humanity.

4 WS titles? What have you done this century? :speechles

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Cleef said:
Tonedeaf, we've been agreeing waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much lately, i knew it couldn't last ;)

I'm beside myself at how touchy Yankee fans are now. You miserable people are running around with glass in your pants. So So Soooooooooo touchy.

Please understand, I think Jeter is a fantastic baseball player. I really and truly do.

However, he's the biggest camera monger since George Bush hit the elevated portions of Louisiana. He seeks the camera like no one I've ever witnessed, he sits next to the YES camera in the dugout, he's the first one on the top step of the dugout (visible from the stationary camera). He reminds me of Canseco in his batter's box theatrics. He's a camera hog like no other.

But like they say, if you can walk the walk....

Manny isn't the captain of the Saaaaaaaaaawx. They've tried to unload him like the kids try to unload steering wheel covers on Lincoln and 27th. Hey, it's just Manny being Manny.

The captain of the Saaaaaaaaaawx is the epitome of all that is good in sport, baseball and humanity.

4 WS titles? What have you done this century? :speechles

Dude, you can't be serious. To keep it DR-related, Manny ain't captain of the Red Sox because NO ONE would ever follow him. Would you? What kind of example of a baseball player is he to anybody?

Jeter and Manny make a ton of money. That's the only comparison between the two. Manny solely gets paid to hit, while Jeter gets paid TO LEAD in NYC. Jeter's always been the first one up the steps to cheer on his teammate, the one to run out ground balls, and play out every play, sometimes with spectacular results. All with the team in mind first. The cameras are always on him for those reasons. He doesn't seek them out. They don't want to miss the show. Could ever say the same things about Manny?

If Jeter wasn't so classy, he'd flaunt those 4 WS rings in those cameras of yours, while Manny and compadres have theirs stored in the Smithsonian. Once in a lifetime, buddy. Or you can wait another 87 years for the next one.

Back to the positive tone of the thread, I believe Vlad and Ortiz could hit anywhere in the league. I'm glad they're around to bring balance to the table.

Last edited: