Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there racism towards Dominicans who dwell in the Southern States?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Is there racism towards Dominicans who dwell in the Southern States?

Hi,
    I read about Dominican populations in the Southern region of the U.S., and I was curious to know if the Dominicans who are dwelling in states such as Mississippi, Alabama, etc., experience racism in their lives. Since I've studied American History, I have learned about the history of Southerners' view towards people who aren't of the light-skinned type.

Peace and sunshine!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Theres racism I would imagine against any foreigner living in the southern US. There is racism against me for being a white person form the northern US moving to the south. I am considered a "Yankee" or a "Damn Yankee" because we won't move back up north.

If they hate white people, I am sure Dominicans are having a rough time.

*** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Lol!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tvagyok!
    Hi,
    I read about Dominican populations in the Southern region of the U.S., and I was curious to know if the Dominicans who are dwelling in states such as Mississippi, Alabama, etc., experience racism in their lives. Since I've studied American History, I have learned about the history of Southerners' view towards people who aren't of the light-skinned type.

Peace and sunshine!

There's Racism toward Dominicans in the Northeast! For a little a taste
    of what I'm talking about, check these Articles!

http://www.embracingcultures.com/htm...-american.html

http://www.latinsociety.com/racisminhispanicculture.htm

http://www.puertorico-herald.org/iss...White-en.shtml

http://www.racematters.org/harlemcop...iscussrace.htm
    Last edited by neverlost; 09-11-2005 at 09:01 PM.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Red face Here's the low down on the southern issue.

I have Dominican friends who stem from Tenn. Virginia, Maryland, N.Carolina,
    and Georgia...and I myself will explore Georgia soon...they don't experiece racism because they are well educated, they live within the law..there is no loud music from house parties and such.. and just act and mingle with everyone as normal and not segregated...it's no difference then how Dominican's treat American's in Santo Domingo but without the muggings or hussling..basically.. if you move to the South with a washington heights mentally you will find yourself amongst the company of the local livestock!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Of course, there is racism every where in the US, but you'll see less of it any major metropolitan cities in the south, ie. Atlanta, Miami, Memphis. In comparison to more rural areas of the south, which could be uncomfortable.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

From: http://www.embracingcultures.com/htm...-american.html "The fact that Latinos have such a great range of skin color has to some of the problems they face in the United States. Light-skinned Dominicans, for instance, have had a much easier time adjusting to life in America than have dark-skinned Dominicans because the dark-skinned Dominicans are perceived to be African Americans and face many of the same prejudices that African Americans do."

What nationality is the person that wrote this bs ? I'm a light-skinned Dominican. I grew up with dark-skinned Dominicans and other nationalities that also have dark skin. I never felt getting treated any better than them by the Whites. Personally, I've never felt discriminated in any form living in NY. I've heard some unpleasant commentaries about my accent and people making fun of my accent, including African Americans. But that is just stupid ignorance I never felt really " offended ". I don't make fun of the bizarre accent that people have speaking in Spanish.

http://www.latinsociety.com/racisminhispanicculture.htm

This kid doesn't know what racism is. The US is the least racist of all industrialized countries. He has to go and live in Japan for a couple of years, that is today by bar the most racist country in the world ! DR is not that bad either, at least you have many dark people in the government. ( senators, governors, mayors, etc.) If the country is all screwed up, you can put a lot of blame on them.

discrimination is actually still legal there( Japan) ! check this : http://www.debito.org/roguesgallery.html

People should stop whining in the US. The US is by far the best country on Earth.

El Leon de los Cacicazgos
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Canada is the best country on earth:
    • universal health care

• good racial blends

• legalized weed for all you potheads (I do not condone drug use)

How is Japans tourist industry? I've always wanted to visit but after hearing about their views on foreigners I rather visit the Philippines.

Anyway racism exist everywhere, everybody is a lil racist, I'm racist, you're racist, we all are racist! In one way or another, yes Dominicans face racism, heck I discriminate against Dominicans in any way, shape or form, seriously I don't trust Dominicans. My parents always tell me to be proud of Dominicans and I ask why, why should I be proud of Dominicans when the majority are ignorant, miseducated & unculturated? Most Dominicans will back stap you in a minute for financial resources.

I think this has to be the dumbest site of the year:http://www.latinsociety.com/racisminhispanicculture.htm 1) Rockafeller Drug Laws: Great idea, minimum should be 25 to life. 2) No such thing as Latino or Hispanic, there is no such unity. 3) PR vs DR is an incredibly stupid conflict, participated by the ignorant, miseducated & unculturated people of both groups. 4) Latino/ Dominican is not a race. Latino is a classification & Dominican a nationality, not a race.

So to conclude my rant; Yes there is racism in the US against Dominicans, I have no clue to the extent of racism in the south. If you fear racism or do not want any I suggest you go live in DR.... wait a sec theres racism in DR as well.

Peace,
    Capo

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Is there racism towards Dominicans who dwell in the Southern States?

this may be so...

Being a man (of color) from North Carolina... I find that as I get older and educate myself more about the history of race I am finding that there is less and less to defend and more to be proud of. I work for an international company and meet people from all over the world, race is nothing more than the conditioning of the mind. Even as a litttle kid I did not accept some one's label of me and I never will. Dominican's are a beautiful people with so much to be proud of. To me it does not make sense to give give things like racism any valuable thought.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by capodominicano
    I think Canada is the best country on earth:
    • universal health care

• good racial blends

• legalized weed for all you potheads (I do not condone drug use)
    Yeah, Canada is liberal and has embraced " multiculti", but it doesn't have as much job opportunities as the U.S. Heck, The city of Tokyo alone has an economy bigger than all of Canada. Add up the cruel winters there, no wonder it is underpopulated. Just take a look at North Dakota.

How is Japans tourist industry? I've always wanted to visit but after hearing about their views on foreigners I rather visit the Philippines.Capo
    It is not as big as they want to be, because Japan is the most expensive country on Earth,. Most of the tourist that go there are local Asians that are nearby because the airfare costs less. You won't see those signs in the mainly tourist areas like Asakusa in Tokyo, Nara and Kyoto, obviously. But expats living there, like many English teachers do have a hard time wanting to rent an appartment and find those nasty signs sometimes.

The good news is that this guy Arudou Debito and others are doing something about it. So you should go and visit. It is still a fascinating country.

Post Thanks / Like

Default *Sigh*

Anyway racism exist everywhere, everybody is a lil racist, I'm racist, you're racist, we all are racist! In one way or another, yes Dominicans face racism, heck I discriminate against Dominicans in any way, shape or form, seriously I don't trust Dominicans. My parents always tell me to be proud of Dominicans and I ask why, why should I be proud of Dominicans when the majority are ignorant, miseducated & unculturated? Most Dominicans will back stap you in a minute for financial resources.

So to conclude my rant; Yes there is racism in the US against Dominicans, I have no clue to the extent of racism in the south. If you fear racism or do not want any I suggest you go live in DR.... wait a sec theres racism in DR as well.

Peace,
    Capo
    Yes. It was a rant, Capo.
    I'm really new to this forums but everytime I see a post from you (or at least 9 times out of 10) you are dissing Dominicans. If you hate Dominicans so much (or hate being Dominican? Which doesn't seem like a far stretch of the imagination from the things you say), What on earth are you doing on this forum???
    Another thing, maybe you should start socializing with other kinds of Dominicans besides the ones you are talking about. I've meet uneducated ones, of course. But I've also meet many educated and cultured Dominicans. I guess it all depends who you associate with. Maybe that would give you a different perspective of your country and you might find something to be proud of.
    Michelle

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast