Is there racism towards Dominicans who dwell in the Southern States?

Tvagyok!

Jan 27, 2005
Hi,
I read about Dominican populations in the Southern region of the U.S., and I was curious to know if the Dominicans who are dwelling in states such as Mississippi, Alabama, etc., experience racism in their lives. Since I've studied American History, I have learned about the history of Southerners' view towards people who aren't of the light-skinned type.

Peace and sunshine!

jerryme

Feb 1, 2004
Theres racism I would imagine against any foreigner living in the southern US. There is racism against me for being a white person form the northern US moving to the south. I am considered a "Yankee" or a "Damn Yankee" because we won't move back up north.

If they hate white people, I am sure Dominicans are having a rough time.

neverlost

*** Sin Bin ***
Jun 7, 2004
Lol!!!!

Tvagyok! said:
Hi,
I read about Dominican populations in the Southern region of the U.S., and I was curious to know if the Dominicans who are dwelling in states such as Mississippi, Alabama, etc., experience racism in their lives. Since I've studied American History, I have learned about the history of Southerners' view towards people who aren't of the light-skinned type.

Peace and sunshine!

There's Racism toward Dominicans in the Northeast! For a little a taste
of what I'm talking about, check these Articles!

http://www.embracingcultures.com/html/map/latinos/mexican-american.html

http://www.latinsociety.com/racisminhispanicculture.htm

http://www.puertorico-herald.org/issues/2003/vol7n46/BlackWhite-en.shtml

http://www.racematters.org/harlemcopsdontdiscussrace.htm

Last edited:

daddy1

Feb 27, 2004
Here's the low down on the southern issue.

I have Dominican friends who stem from Tenn. Virginia, Maryland, N.Carolina,
and Georgia...and I myself will explore Georgia soon...they don't experiece racism because they are well educated, they live within the law..there is no loud music from house parties and such.. and just act and mingle with everyone as normal and not segregated...it's no difference then how Dominican's treat American's in Santo Domingo but without the muggings or hussling..basically.. if you move to the South with a washington heights mentally you will find yourself amongst the company of the local livestock! ;)

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Of course, there is racism every where in the US, but you'll see less of it any major metropolitan cities in the south, ie. Atlanta, Miami, Memphis. In comparison to more rural areas of the south, which could be uncomfortable.

asopao

Aug 6, 2005
From: http://www.embracingcultures.com/html/map/latinos/mexican-american.html "The fact that Latinos have such a great range of skin color has to some of the problems they face in the United States. Light-skinned Dominicans, for instance, have had a much easier time adjusting to life in America than have dark-skinned Dominicans because the dark-skinned Dominicans are perceived to be African Americans and face many of the same prejudices that African Americans do."

What nationality is the person that wrote this bs ? I'm a light-skinned Dominican. I grew up with dark-skinned Dominicans and other nationalities that also have dark skin. I never felt getting treated any better than them by the Whites. Personally, I've never felt discriminated in any form living in NY. I've heard some unpleasant commentaries about my accent and people making fun of my accent, including African Americans. But that is just stupid ignorance I never felt really " offended ". I don't make fun of the bizarre accent that people have speaking in Spanish.

http://www.latinsociety.com/racisminhispanicculture.htm

This kid doesn't know what racism is. The US is the least racist of all industrialized countries. He has to go and live in Japan for a couple of years, that is today by bar the most racist country in the world ! DR is not that bad either, at least you have many dark people in the government. ( senators, governors, mayors, etc.) If the country is all screwed up, you can put a lot of blame on them.

discrimination is actually still legal there( Japan) ! check this : http://www.debito.org/roguesgallery.html

People should stop whining in the US. The US is by far the best country on Earth.

Guatiao

El Leon de los Cacicazgos
Mar 27, 2004
I think Canada is the best country on earth:
  • universal health care
  • good racial blends
  • legalized weed for all you potheads (I do not condone drug use)

How is Japans tourist industry? I've always wanted to visit but after hearing about their views on foreigners I rather visit the Philippines.

Anyway racism exist everywhere, everybody is a lil racist, I'm racist, you're racist, we all are racist! In one way or another, yes Dominicans face racism, heck I discriminate against Dominicans in any way, shape or form, seriously I don't trust Dominicans. My parents always tell me to be proud of Dominicans and I ask why, why should I be proud of Dominicans when the majority are ignorant, miseducated & unculturated? Most Dominicans will back stap you in a minute for financial resources.

I think this has to be the dumbest site of the year:http://www.latinsociety.com/racisminhispanicculture.htm 1) Rockafeller Drug Laws: Great idea, minimum should be 25 to life. 2) No such thing as Latino or Hispanic, there is no such unity. 3) PR vs DR is an incredibly stupid conflict, participated by the ignorant, miseducated & unculturated people of both groups. 4) Latino/ Dominican is not a race. Latino is a classification & Dominican a nationality, not a race.

So to conclude my rant; Yes there is racism in the US against Dominicans, I have no clue to the extent of racism in the south. If you fear racism or do not want any I suggest you go live in DR.... wait a sec theres racism in DR as well.

Peace,
Capo

Zorian1

Aug 21, 2005
this may be so...

Being a man (of color) from North Carolina... I find that as I get older and educate myself more about the history of race I am finding that there is less and less to defend and more to be proud of. I work for an international company and meet people from all over the world, race is nothing more than the conditioning of the mind. Even as a litttle kid I did not accept some one's label of me and I never will. Dominican's are a beautiful people with so much to be proud of. To me it does not make sense to give give things like racism any valuable thought.

asopao

Aug 6, 2005
capodominicano said:
I think Canada is the best country on earth:
  • universal health care
  • good racial blends
  • legalized weed for all you potheads (I do not condone drug use)

Yeah, Canada is liberal and has embraced " multiculti", but it doesn't have as much job opportunities as the U.S. Heck, The city of Tokyo alone has an economy bigger than all of Canada. Add up the cruel winters there, no wonder it is underpopulated. Just take a look at North Dakota.

capodominicano said:
How is Japans tourist industry? I've always wanted to visit but after hearing about their views on foreigners I rather visit the Philippines.Capo

It is not as big as they want to be, because Japan is the most expensive country on Earth,. Most of the tourist that go there are local Asians that are nearby because the airfare costs less. You won't see those signs in the mainly tourist areas like Asakusa in Tokyo, Nara and Kyoto, obviously. But expats living there, like many English teachers do have a hard time wanting to rent an appartment and find those nasty signs sometimes.

The good news is that this guy Arudou Debito and others are doing something about it. So you should go and visit. It is still a fascinating country.

michellec

Sep 13, 2005
*Sigh*

capodominicano said:
Anyway racism exist everywhere, everybody is a lil racist, I'm racist, you're racist, we all are racist! In one way or another, yes Dominicans face racism, heck I discriminate against Dominicans in any way, shape or form, seriously I don't trust Dominicans. My parents always tell me to be proud of Dominicans and I ask why, why should I be proud of Dominicans when the majority are ignorant, miseducated & unculturated? Most Dominicans will back stap you in a minute for financial resources.

So to conclude my rant; Yes there is racism in the US against Dominicans, I have no clue to the extent of racism in the south. If you fear racism or do not want any I suggest you go live in DR.... wait a sec theres racism in DR as well.

Peace,
Capo

Yes. It was a rant, Capo.
I'm really new to this forums but everytime I see a post from you (or at least 9 times out of 10) you are dissing Dominicans. If you hate Dominicans so much (or hate being Dominican? Which doesn't seem like a far stretch of the imagination from the things you say), What on earth are you doing on this forum???
Another thing, maybe you should start socializing with other kinds of Dominicans besides the ones you are talking about. I've meet uneducated ones, of course. But I've also meet many educated and cultured Dominicans. I guess it all depends who you associate with. Maybe that would give you a different perspective of your country and you might find something to be proud of.
Michelle

michellec

Sep 13, 2005
Racism in the South

My family (parent, siblings) live in TN. They definitely are not what someone on this forum called the "washington heights" mentality, and they are relatively light skinned as far as Dominicans are concerned and yet they experience racism. Most times is out of ignorance, very rarely is malicious (or so they claim).
My experience was different. I'm the darker one in the family and always felt people in TN were very prejudiced, even if "polite". My family doesn't think it's that bad but we have other Hispanic friends (several families) that moved to other states because it became too much.
In any case, racism was the reason I left the South and I'm not planning on moving back any time soon.
Michelle

Exxtol

Jun 27, 2005
Oh yay

asopao said:
This kid doesn't know what racism is. The US is the least racist of all industrialized countries.

Well thank god it's the LEAST racist industrialized country in the world--I bet that makes people of color sleep REAL good at night--knowing it's the least racist and all.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
As was said up above

Exxtol said:
Well thank god it's the LEAST racist industrialized country in the world--I bet that makes people of color sleep REAL good at night--knowing it's the least racist and all.

NO COUNTRY is without some kind or type of Racism so maybe they should feel better! This can cover all colors, nationalities, or religions

or if you want subtitute the word prejudice, not as strong, but covers more area.

Quisqueya

Bronze
Nov 10, 2003
Exxtol,

Beleive it or not Asopao is right on this one..US of A have one of least amount of racism for people of color...Why??? Well, although people of color face racism their is still opportunity for economic advancement...with out too much hassle...Try moving to France for a couple of years and you'll see how marginalized Maghrebiens and Africans are. You think the projects in the USA are bizarre go to the projects in France..Argentueil you would see a wider range of economic discrimination..

I personally, don't give a damn about any racist prick because everyone has some type of prejudice in them...Now, if you respect me and do not prevent me from getting my money then I dont give a rats %%% what a racist may think about me..as long as they do not harm me physically we can get along...

Believe it or not blacks have it good in this country...and hispanics have it even better...were else can an illegal have a credit card and by a home..

But in the near future I can see USA being less tolerant...

Exxtol said:

Last edited:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Exxtol said:

Not even close to the least racist

jerryme

Feb 1, 2004
bienamor is right. I am white and I experience racism. Like living in L.A., working in south central during the riots. If you didn't put "black owned" on the door, your place was burned. I think Dominicans in non tourist areas of the DR are racists against white people as well.

Exxtol

Jun 27, 2005
You're missing the POINT

Quisqueya said:
Exxtol,

Beleive it or not Asopao is right on this one..US of A have one of least amount of racism for people of color...Why??? Well, although people of color face racism their is still opportunity for economic advancement...with out too much hassle...Try moving to France for a couple of years and you'll see how marginalized Maghrebiens and Africans are. You think the projects in the USA are bizarre go to the projects in France..Argentueil you would see a wider range of economic discrimination..

I personally, don't give a damn about any racist prick because everyone has some type of prejudice in them...Now, if you respect me and do not prevent me from getting my money then I dont give a rats %%% what a racist may think about me..as long as they do not harm me physically we can get along...

Believe it or not blacks have it good in this country...and hispanics have it even better...were else can an illegal have a credit card and by a home..

But in the near future I can see USA being less tolerant...

I think your missing the principal idea behind my statement--one, if you take a GOOD look at american history, the "least racist" theory goes right out the window......racism doesn't disappear 40 years later, one generation removed. I can think of several countries that have historically treated blacks much better. Secondly--blacks have it good in this country...... :cross-eye

You know 30 years of affirmative action don't make up for 300 + years of privelege that came with being a certain color. People forget blacks in the US have been enslaved and oppressed (i.e. Jim crow, which equaled economic, social, and educational stragulation through legalized segregation) longer than they've been free......

Case in point--when we've got major cities in the US and 80% of the 25% of the people living below the poverty line are blacks (not whites, not creole mulattos), i.e., New Orleans--it's deeper than "they're just lazy and stupid". Not to say that things haven't gotten much better, of course they have--but things still aren't where they need to be--between the races and social classes (which crosses all racial lines).

My point being just because one has it better than un bracero haitiano que trabaje para un jefe brutal doesn't mean they should be more tolerant and complacent of racism. As i've gone way off topic.........I will shut off now.

Last edited:

Quisqueya

Bronze
Nov 10, 2003
Exxtol,

I didn't miss the prinicipal idea about your statement at all...First, we were talking about the present like ahora...thus, people of color period or foreigners have it good in 2005 in the USA.

Now to address you regarding the history then you have an excellent point...and no one in their right mind would disagree with you...unless they do not know the history of the negro in America.. That's why I will always respect African Americans/blacks because they have been through so much and continue to go through alot..I get upset when fellow immigrants come hear and think they are above blacks living in america. If it wasn't for their struggle haitians, jamaicans, dominicans, and the rest of the latin america wouldn't have it as good here..Unfortunately, the road african americans paved are more of an advantage for recent colored immigrants.. while the majority of africans american play the blaming game..didn't you hear Bill Cosby's speech...now I was appalled when the black so called leaders were upset because he told the truth. I can understand the african american want more but in the eyes of poor immigrants from latin america blacks have it good. Now their are alot of affluent african american in the USA..the list goes on and on..but unfortunately they never do enough for the millions they've live behind..thus, you have economically deprived blacks...like at the Puerto Ricans from generation to generation most get trapped in the cobb web and become culprits of the own demise..i see dominican, haitian, jamiacan second generation falling into this loop hole too....

I have seen indians and pakis coming to the USA thinking there better than blacks..you should see how their colonisers treat them in the UK...alot are worst off then blacks and are the scapegoat for many things there...It's more common to see a Brit with an black subsaharan african than an indian or a paki....but its ironic the ones in the USA think they are better than blacks...just my observation..I hope the paki guy doesn't get offended...

Look at what happened in Nouvelle Orl?ans(btw, that's the real name) still french territory to me...joking....the deprived blacks were forgotten and were treated like foreign refugees. Now, the media painted a negative image in the upper class american(white) were disgusted and blamed the victims for this natural catastrophe...The presidents' mom even came on national tv stating that these people are underprivileged and should be content with their treatment in the Dome...damn shame..so I do understand the obvious racism in america...

Now your last statement I found insulting...Im not saying blacks should be tolerant but it can be a whole lot worse...Oye, preito..ten cuidado con tus palabras.. ;) que estas insinuando, prieto..

Exxtol said:
I think your missing the principal idea behind my statement--one, if you take a GOOD look at american history, the "least racist" theory goes right out the window......racism doesn't disappear 40 years later, one generation removed. I can think of several countries that have historically treated blacks much better. Secondly--blacks have it good in this country...... :cross-eye

You know 30 years of affirmative action and set asides (that aren't many i might add) don't make up for 300 + years of privelege that came with being a certain color. People forget blacks in the US have been enslaved and oppressed (i.e. Jim crow, which equaled economic, social, and economic stragulation through legalized segregation) longer than they've been free......

Case in point--when we've got major cities in the US and 80% of the 25% of the people living below the poverty line are blacks (not whites, not creole mulattos), i.e., New Orleans--it's deeper than "they're just lazy and stupid". Not to say that things haven't gotten much better, of course they have--but things still aren't where they need to be.

My point being just because one has it better than un bracero haitiano que trabaje para un jefe brutal doesn't mean they should be more tolerant and complacent of racism. As i've gone way off topic.........I will shut off now.

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
It's huge in the South

Living here for 25 years I can tell a lot of stories just in Florida. they all have their own place where they live and that's where they stay. I'm not talking about major cities... because that's really a small part of it in a whole. They have their own churches, small schools, places to shop, and places of employment. I go buy one almost every day and know a lot of them. They are some of the nicest people that I know. They're so giving its unbelievable in making you feel welcome into their part of town and what great afternoon weekend parties they have.They treat me like gold since I went to school with about four of them and i always treated them like any other... even sat at the same lunch table, and at first they thought I was some crazy white boy for sitting with them over my white friends .They had a very hard time understanding that.Down here in the South still to this day they get no respect from whites outside of major cities. There are many racial murders that go unreported all the time in small towns. It's what you call sliding it under the matt.... no officer........ Joe was with me last night, okay thank you for your time...(CASE CLOSED). And that's the truth .... it makes me sick. :cry: :cry:

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
As a native Floridan who has also spent the last ten of my 60 plus years living in the DR, I can unequivocally state there is also as much racism and prejudice in the DR regarding skin color as there is in the southern US today (or many other countries for that matter). It's just not as open, but when Dominicans compare shades of black of other Dominicans the racial undertones are there. A good example is what one of my Dominican friends replied when I asked him about this. He said his dark skinned grandmother always told her kids and grandkids that the only thing in the house that was going to be blacker than her was the frying pan,...and she meant it. They've all married lighter. And I've found the same racial attitude among US blacks where light skin opens many doors among the negro race.

Easygoin, I would like to know what part of Florida you are referring to when you talk about unreported racial murders and other instances of police or authorities not prosecuting criminal matters. Tell me so I can lean on some folks I know up in Tallahassee. And sweeping it under the carpet? Maybe 50 years ago, but not now. And I would like to remind you that Florida was the first of the southern states to integrate in the late 50's/early 60's, and peacefully at that, a testament to then-Governor Leroy Collins' leadership and understanding. I know, I was there and lived it.

I too have been passing back and forth between the cultures for quite some time and I no longer see what you do: keeping to themselves with their own schools (all schools are integrated in Florida), their own businesses employing their own people (BTW the big Lincoln-Mercury dealership here in Daytona Beach is black-owned with a multi-racial workforce as are many other large sucessful, minority-owned businesses that cater to both races here in Florida) and their own churches (granted the African Methodist Episcopal church is unique to the black community). And yes, they do have neighborhood parties,...as do many other ethnicities that tend to congregate geographically and yes, outsiders are usually welcome.

You will still find a degree of suspicion in small towns anywhere when a stranger appears. I just came back from a visit to Quebec and encountered this everywhere we went, even somewhat in Montreal as an English speaking person in a French culture. And even with my white skin and the good ole' boy air I adopt, I still encounter this in many small southern towns today. It's part of human survival skills to be wary of strangers in the community (no matter what their color).

I've followed this string from it's inception and watched it go from a thinly disguised Dominican angle to an unabashed attack on the integrity of many, many fine people who inhabit the southeastern US today and would not begin to consider a racial attitude regarding people of any color be they black, white, pink or purple. It should have been titled "let's stir the racial pot as we have a hidden agenda to air." It could have been easily applied to Dominicans in the Dominican Republic as Dominicans living in the southeastern US.

Get a grip, the old south has changed and dredging up old sins does nothing to further the cause of racial equality nor harmony among peoples of all races and walks of life.