Ocean's Manor REsort -Cabarete??Formerly Las Palmas???

Status
Not open for further replies.

megamania

Sep 10, 2005
Hi there. First and foremost, so glad someone directed me to this site!!
We are heading to the Ocean's Manor REsort in Cabarete in January/06. Apparently it used to be called Las Palmas?? It was damaged from the hurricane, and is supposed to be opened in December. It is supposed to be oceanfront condos. We have a 2 bedroom condo rented, but have been unable to get much info on it. We are not doing an all inclusive , as that is not our style. We want to be able to make some meals in our condo. I like to experience the different restaurants in the area as well. I just feel that all inclusives prohibit that. I have some concerns from what I have read also about it not being safe to wander around to experience the island. I feel some of it is slightly exaggerated. Correct me if I am wrong.
When I ask our home resort ((Georgian Manor Resort, Collingwood, Ontario) about Oceans Manor, I get the same response.
"They are still working on it, and have no info/pictures, amenities, etc.) It sort of makes me leary to say the least. We purchased a membership from them which gives us a condo in any location in the carribbean . First time we used it, we went to St.Maartens, this is only our second trip. I just thought someone would know this resort by the previous name "Las Palmas"
I am curious as to the exact location, accessibility to grocery stores, night action,car rentals, etc.
Does anyone, who has been to Cabarete, know anything of this place. Or at least what to expect.
We have not travelled much, have only been to St.Maartins (which was great) . I like to be a little more informed prior to arrival so I can be prepared for what the country has to offer.
Any help would be wonderful!! Thanks in advance!!!
Meg

abe

Jan 2, 2002
I have seen Ocean Manor

I walked through the property in about May or June this year. I had previously seen it on many trips to Cabarete.

It has been completely redone on the outside with fanciful wave-like concrete formations on the balconies, the common areas. A little surreal, in my opinion. Don't know about the interiors.

The property sits directly on the beach outside of Cabarete--not many neighbors, but development is going so fast in Cabarete, it's possible that someone bought the adjacent land and is building on it. Even if that's so, building is rather low-tech there and not all that noisy.

The key to every property is security, although I do not mean to say that bad guys are crawling all over Cabarete looking to pounce. No operator in his right mind, especially one who is trying to sell timeshare, will allow the appearance of lack of security.

It has pool (maybe two, I forget)--outside bar, but the property is not large. You will be able to grab taxis or moto conchos into town quite easily. Cabarete has many restaurants and a great night time ambience, so A-I may not have a big appeal unless you simply want to stay put. Nothing wrong with that.

I don't think the ocean is fabulous for swimming right there--but others will have to comment on that. The water on this side (North) of the DR is not clear turquoise Caribbean like you see in travel brochures. However, the incredible variety of views, natural attractions, and great Dominican people will make you forget about the water color. The water isn't dirty, by the way, it's just different conditions and the beach sand is darker here. Don't let that stop you.

One sure thing is that, because I suspect that timeshare sales would be going on, everyone will be on their guard to provide great service, etc. And, because this operator has one in Canada already and will probably do more in the future, I am willing to bet that service will continue to be good.

All the timeshare neighsayers on this board will guffaw at that, but if someone is trying to build a brand, they will do a better job at each successive resort.

You already own your timeshare, so don't worry about being hounded to buy another one. Just remind them you are current owners at home and have direct access to the comapny's owners for both praise and criticism.

The DR is a great destination--as long as you have reasonable expectations, patience, good humour, and common sense.

megamania

Sep 10, 2005
Questions on Oceans Manor Resort

abe said:
I walked through the property in about May or June this year. I had previously seen it on many trips to Cabarete.

It has been completely redone on the outside with fanciful wave-like concrete formations on the balconies, the common areas. A little surreal, in my opinion. Don't know about the interiors.

The property sits directly on the beach outside of Cabarete--not many neighbors, but development is going so fast in Cabarete, it's possible that someone bought the adjacent land and is building on it. Even if that's so, building is rather low-tech there and not all that noisy.

The key to every property is security, although I do not mean to say that bad guys are crawling all over Cabarete looking to pounce. No operator in his right mind, especially one who is trying to sell timeshare, will allow the appearance of lack of security.

It has pool (maybe two, I forget)--outside bar, but the property is not large. You will be able to grab taxis or moto conchos into town quite easily. Cabarete has many restaurants and a great night time ambience, so A-I may not have a big appeal unless you simply want to stay put. Nothing wrong with that.

I don't think the ocean is fabulous for swimming right there--but others will have to comment on that. The water on this side (North) of the DR is not clear turquoise Caribbean like you see in travel brochures. However, the incredible variety of views, natural attractions, and great Dominican people will make you forget about the water color. The water isn't dirty, by the way, it's just different conditions and the beach sand is darker here. Don't let that stop you.

One sure thing is that, because I suspect that timeshare sales would be going on, everyone will be on their guard to provide great service, etc. And, because this operator has one in Canada already and will probably do more in the future, I am willing to bet that service will continue to be good.

All the timeshare neighsayers on this board will guffaw at that, but if someone is trying to build a brand, they will do a better job at each successive resort.

You already own your timeshare, so don't worry about being hounded to buy another one. Just remind them you are current owners at home and have direct access to the comapny's owners for both praise and criticism.

The DR is a great destination--as long as you have reasonable expectations, patience, good humour, and common sense.

Abe - Thank you for responding to my questions. It makes me feel a little better knowing that at least it looks like it might be operational in December.
I also was happy to hear that it is ocean front. I had been told by someone that the beach was not the real white sand , like at Punta Cana , for instance, but I am soooo looking forward to experiencing all the things you mentioned. Especially the people. I realize I have to hold a certain amount of caution, but I am tying to pick up on a few Spanish words to help me out.
One other question...Would you recommend exchanging U.S. dollars to pesos when we get there??? or would travellers cheques and U.S. cash suffice.
Again, I can only compare to St.Martens, and u.s. cash was accepted everywhere as well as visa, mastercard, etc. Why I asked is because of some of the comments I have read about in this forum. Again, your information and comments are very much appreciated.
The only other question is>>> You said it would take 15 minutes to get into town by cab or motorbike,,,,,is the Ocean s manor not right in Cabarete??
Again , because I do not know the lay out of the land, I am curious. I had heard it took 15 minutes to get to Sosua.
Thank you.
Meg

abe

Jan 2, 2002
Distance to "el centro" Cabarete

The locals on the board can tell you more exactly the distance to the heart of Cabarete. The property is definitely not in the heart of the town.

When I travelled to Cabarete very frequently, I had no trouble changing traveller's checks at the going rate in the street casitas. I was never cheated, mis -counted, etc. I do remember ATM's that were pretty good at inhaling credit cards and not giving them back, so I always used traveller's checks. That may have changed.

But don't bother changing money at airports--the rates are better in town and, in fact, as you got into the center of Cabarete, it got better than on the fringes. Just marginally, but fun to notice the differences.

The last few times I was in town, I had had some pesos left over from previous visits and never did change any money. So I don't know the latest wisdom. However, people happily accept US dollars everywhere, but never have change, so you should have pesos in various denominations and coins. Be aware of the exchange rate because it changes by the day.

But, don't strain yourself about "getting screwed" by locals. You are always going to pay a bit more and most Dominicans and Haitians that you run into in the service capacity will earn their tips. ("propinas") Just keep reading these various posts and use the Search engine.

Apparently you should watch out for Jose O'Shay's ripoffs however--per this board.

People on here are very helpful, although some are argumentative and a very few downright incendiary.

Learn Spanish, bring some school supplies/baseball stuff for the kids in the Cabarete schools and you will feel great about your trip.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
megamania said:
One other question...Would you recommend exchanging U.S. dollars to pesos when we get there??? or would travellers cheques and U.S. cash suffice.
---snip----
The only other question is>>> You said it would take 15 minutes to get into town by cab or motorbike,,,,,is the Ocean s manor not right in Cabarete??
Again , because I do not know the lay out of the land, I am curious. I had heard it took 15 minutes to get to Sosua.
Thank you.
Meg

US cash and travellers checks are fine... Change some US Dollars to Pesos at the airport, just to have some pesos in your pocket for a day or two. Note that Cabarete exchange rate is generally one to two points lower than in Sosua, ie., you'll get less pesos for your dollar. Change more money as you need it, but in Sosua - good place is Vimenca (ask for it, anyone would know).

I cannot quite remember how far the hotel is from Cabarete, but Cabarete consists mainly of one long street and one long strip of beach with a few coves, so, everything is right in Cabarete ;) . You can walk through Cabarete end to end quite easily. You may be able to walk beachside from your hotel to center Cabarete. Cabarete and Sosua are about 15-20 minutes apart... So, you won't be far from either, where-ever you are. You can catch a cab (expensive) moto-concho (not advisable except one time for fun), or publico (public car) just about anywhere on this strip.. Believe me, transportation up or down this strip is not a problem.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
abe said:
But don't bother changing money at airports--the rates are better in town and, in fact, as you got into the center of Cabarete, it got better than on the fringes. Just marginally, but fun to notice the differences.
I find the airport rates are generally competitive. Sometimes you may do a fraction of a peso better elsewhere, but these days you need to watch the cambios.

Last time I was in Sosua, I went in a cambio to exchange money and I asked the guy what the rate was and he said 26 (the prevailing rate at the time was about 29). I started to walk out and he asked me to quote him a rate. I continued walking and he followed me outside and said 28.50.

If you don't change money at the airport, at least look at the rate they are offering and use it as a guide when you change money elsewhere.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
If it's the same Las Palmas I remember from years ago, the building is right in town and on the beach at the western end of town.
Hopefully there is a new owner that came along with the new name, as the Las Palmas owner was well known to be less than reputable.
(This is assuming we are talking about the same place)

TimInDR

Jun 4, 2005
www.prestigecarrentals.com
Rocky said:
If it's the same Las Palmas I remember from years ago, the building is right in town and on the beach at the western end of town.
Hopefully there is a new owner that came along with the new name, as the Las Palmas owner was well known to be less than reputable.
(This is assuming we are talking about the same place)

I'm confused... isn't the place at the entrance to Playa Encuentro also known as Las Palmas?

I'm going to both places today to learn more.....

megamania

Sep 10, 2005
Confusion re Hotel las terrazas-Las Palmas-vs.Ocean's Manor Resort

Rocky said:
Please let us know.
Thanks.
Hi Rocky and Tim. Thank you both for your comments. I am going to "Ocean's Manor Resort in January/06, so hopefully we can figure this one out. I had understood that is was on the beach right in Cabarete, so I am sure hoping that I have been told the truth.
I cannot tell you how helpful this forum is. I know that you are checking this out Tim, and I eagerly wait your reply.

Also,, Rocky,,,are you Canadian? The reason I ask is that a friend of mine who comes to Dominican frequently told me about your place. He said you were a fellow canuck?? Do I have the right guy? Guess it doesn't matter, cause what I heard about your ribs, will lead me to find you anyway.

Again, both of you,,,,thanks, looking forward to our trip!!!!!!!

Meg ;)

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
megamania said:
Also,, Rocky,,,are you Canadian? The reason I ask is that a friend of mine who comes to Dominican frequently told me about your place. He said you were a fellow canuck?? Do I have the right guy?
Meg ;)
Hope he said nice things about me...

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Just a few answers

1) Change a few dollars at the airport.
2) Change just a couple of day's worth of money at a time.
3) Always change at a "Casa de Cambio" or a commercial bank
4) While the difference in the exchange rate in Sos?a vs. Cabarete won't cover the cost of a gua-gua ride to Sos?a, it is well worth the trip to see the town.
5) COming out of your hotel, left is Cabarete and right is Sosua and Puerto Plata.
6) Always bring strong sun screen--lobsters do not for a happy vacation make.
7) Bring so strong bug repellant (with DEET). Our local mosquitos love new blood. Use on ankles! Or else!:p
8) Visit Santiago-about 1 1/2 hours by airconditioned bus from Sosua...a "real" DR city...visit the Leon Cultural Center and the Folklore Museum, drink a few beers up at the Monument, if it's a Sunday, maybe catch a Winter League ballgame...they start at 4:00 and you can get the last bus back to Sos?a...

Have fun, I like your attitude.

HB :D:D:D:D

megamania

Sep 10, 2005
It was all good!!

Rocky said:
Hope he said nice things about me...
Hey, not to worry, it was all good!!! Again, if this is the same "rocky" that Willy and Nancy talked about he said you had a great spot!!

Have a good one - eh???

Can I buy Carib anywhere on the island???? I'm getting thirsty thinking about it.
Meg

abe

Jan 2, 2002
Rocky--I don't think you have the right property.

I don't know anything about Las Palmas, but the Ocean Manor is east of Cabarete. I was told that by a major timeshare player in Cabarete who should know his competition. I was looking at a property for sale next door to it.

Of course, we all could be wrong in that hotbed of misinformation.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The Ocean Manor, which was Las Palmas is located near the Texaco station east of Cabarete. It is on the beach, but not the main beach in Cabarete. It is east of there.

TimInDR

Jun 4, 2005
www.prestigecarrentals.com
just the facts, ma'am. just the facts

Bottom Line Up Front: I went to Ocean Manor today. Meg, I think you will have a fine vacation there.

----------------

First, let me clear up any confusion I may have caused. It is not the one near Playa Encuentro. That is "The Coconut Palms".

Second:

Ocean Manor is about 1 or 2 km east (towards Rio San Juan) of the main drag in Cabarete. It is on the ocean side. It has a sign. If you are looking for it, you won't miss it.

I took a guided tour with the acting supervisor of construction, whose name was Cheeky. Nice guy.

The property has about 20 or 30 actively engaged construction workers--who were all working at what I would consider break-neck speed for around here.

I saw the rooms/condos. There are 33 total. None of the ones I saw were anywhere near complete, but I think there were a few that are.

Most of the furniture is on-site. I saw loads of lounge chairs, bedroom style lamps, etc.

There are two restaurants on the premises (not open now). One is on the street, and the other is on the beach. Both looked like they will be nice when complete.

Two pools. One kidney bean style in the center of the complex. The other a small infinity style right on the beach, overlooking the ocean.

The beach is not white sand. Mostly dark brown today, but nice all the same. Mountain view to the east. Oceans to the west. Should be a pretty short walk up the beach to the main strip of bars and restaurants.

The whole place is painted blue. Looks like it will be nice though.

Cheeky told me the first half of Ocean Manor will be done either this month or next. The second half he doesn't expect to be finished until April***.

***Note: This is what I heard. My Spanish is pretty weak, so it may not be exactly what he said.

I was very impressed by the ACTUAL amount of labor I witnessed. Everyone was working and I think if they continue at that rate they will finish everything ahead of schedule.

(Of course I wouldn't bet on it...)

Here's a quick diagram of where it is in relation to some other major points on the North Coast, west to east:

A-B--C--D--E-F-----------------G

A=Puerto Plata
B=Playa Dorada
C=POP Airport
D=Sosua
E=Cabarete
F=Ocean Manor
G=Samana

ps. The infinity pool is functional right now and looks fantastic.

megamania

Sep 10, 2005
A beer?? How bout a case!!!

Rocky said:
You're a good man, Tim.
Somebody owes you a beer.
Well, what can I say?? I guess that pretty much clears things up.

I think I should be looking Tim up and taking him to "Rocky's for some beer, and some beer and some of them there ribs - eh????

Sounds like it will be alright!!! NOw all I have to do is wait.

Later
Meg

megamania

Sep 10, 2005
Unbelievable!!!

TimInDR said:
Bottom Line Up Front: I went to Ocean Manor today. Meg, I think you will have a fine vacation there.

----------------

First, let me clear up any confusion I may have caused. It is not the one near Playa Encuentro. That is "The Coconut Palms".

Second:

Ocean Manor is about 1 or 2 km east (towards Rio San Juan) of the main drag in Cabarete. It is on the ocean side. It has a sign. If you are looking for it, you won't miss it.

I took a guided tour with the acting supervisor of construction, whose name was Cheeky. Nice guy.

The property has about 20 or 30 actively engaged construction workers--who were all working at what I would consider break-neck speed for around here.

I saw the rooms/condos. There are 33 total. None of the ones I saw were anywhere near complete, but I think there were a few that are.

Most of the furniture is on-site. I saw loads of lounge chairs, bedroom style lamps, etc.

There are two restaurants on the premises (not open now). One is on the street, and the other is on the beach. Both looked like they will be nice when complete.

Two pools. One kidney bean style in the center of the complex. The other a small infinity style right on the beach, overlooking the ocean.

The beach is not white sand. Mostly dark brown today, but nice all the same. Mountain view to the east. Oceans to the west. Should be a pretty short walk up the beach to the main strip of bars and restaurants.

The whole place is painted blue. Looks like it will be nice though.

Cheeky told me the first half of Ocean Manor will be done either this month or next. The second half he doesn't expect to be finished until April***.

***Note: This is what I heard. My Spanish is pretty weak, so it may not be exactly what he said.

I was very impressed by the ACTUAL amount of labor I witnessed. Everyone was working and I think if they continue at that rate they will finish everything ahead of schedule.

(Of course I wouldn't bet on it...)

Here's a quick diagram of where it is in relation to some other major points on the North Coast, west to east:

A-B--C--D--E-F-----------------G

A=Puerto Plata
B=Playa Dorada
C=POP Airport
D=Sosua
E=Cabarete
F=Ocean Manor
G=Samana

ps. The infinity pool is functional right now and looks fantastic.

Don't know how to thank you for time and helpfulness.....oh yeah,,,Rocky said I owe someone a beer - forgot!! :nervous: All kidding aside, you have helped calm my shattered nerves. Hopefully it wont be to far up the beach to some action. But then again, I guess we will just have to rent a car!!
Curious as to the infinity pool, not sure what that is, but,,,I guess there should be some surprises. Happy to hear the work crews are at it. I do know that the Georgian Manor in Collingwood, Ontario, is a very lovely place, and I would have expected somewhat the same standards in Cabarete, being as they purchased it. So,,,,once again, I have to say thank you.

Looking forward to meeting you sometime for that beer!!
If there is ever anything I could help any of you with on this forum, please do not hesitate to ask.

Boola, Boola.

Meg

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
megamania said:
Curious as to the infinity pool, not sure what that is, but,,,I guess there should be some surprises.
Meg
An infinity pool is a pool which fills to it's very top edge. No concrete is evident around the edge. If you are in the pool and look towards the ocean at the right angle, the pool appears to be continuous with the ocean. Hence the pool appears infinite.

Status
Not open for further replies.