Solar air conditioning

georgios

Oct 2, 2004
Hello everyone,

This new technology has produced a new breed of air conditioning units
powered with solar panels or directly off the battery storage. Operational
voltage required is from 85 to 600 watts depending on the model, bypassing
the problem of having typical AC air cond connected to the inverter.

Are these units available in the DR?

Thanks in advance,
Georgios.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I haven't seen any, but I have heard about them in Sweden.

I'm 99.9% sure they are not being used here yet.

gmiller261

Dec 29, 2002
evaporative coolers

If you are referring to evaporative coolers then they will not work in the DR. They do work very well in dry climates.

My sister has had several in Utah and Colorado.

georgios

Oct 2, 2004
updated solar air conditioner

Here is my findings after reviewing residential grade solar air cond units in
the market today.

ORDINARY SPLIT TYPE 110/220VAC
Capacity......................................18,000 BTU
Cooling area....................................900 sq ft
wattage.........................................5700 watts
Price..............................................$400 US

SOLAR OR WIND SPLIT TYPE 24VDC (NO EVAPORATION COOLER)
Capacity.......................................18,000 BTU
Cooling area.................................... 275 sq ft
Power............................................ 650 watts
Price.............................................$1,550 US*

* Does not include solar panels or wind turbine.

Savings in power consumption is 60-80%. Solar panels cost
about US$5,000 (initial cost high). Panel's lifetime is 25 years.
Rectifying local AC grid power to DC is possible when on.
Running on battery storage on a timer also a good idea.
Fortunate people with good wind resources can run on
a wind turbine 24VDC output.

The units look good, click on http://www.hassino.com
I found several manufacturers offering similar products.
Payback projected at 3-4 years. Lifetime 10 years.

Comments welcomed.
Georgios.

gmiller261

Dec 29, 2002
Very nice

No real technical information on the web site, but I would be willing to buy one to try it.

How are the wind turbines going?

georgios

Oct 2, 2004
gmiller261 said:
No real technical information on the web site, but I would be willing to buy one to try it.

How are the wind turbines going?

The first shipment is coming to port in about 55 days.
It contains wind turbines, towers, AGM batteries, solar
well pumps, solar pool pumps, pure sine wave inverters,
surge arrestors and a plethora of other renewable products.

I invested about 2 years trying to source the best products
available with the lowest cost possible. Most of it is not
available in the DR. All my suppliers are reputable & reliable.
My partner is a well known American/Canadian living in Cabrera
for many years. He assisted in identifying what is really needed
in the DR to overcome the power supply problems. Special attention
was given so the new products "tie in" to the existing equipment
people already purchased (inverters, batteries etc) to avoid added
replacement costs.

looking forward to post my website on DR1. I believe all the DR1
members will appreciate the effort. I thank them for taking the
time to read my comments I posted.

Saludos,
Georgios.

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Anyone ever heard of "passive" air conditioning? It's as simple as building a dome on your roof with vents in it and opening windows on the shady side of the house. As hot air rises and vents out this dome, it creates a vacuum that sucks in cooler air.There's no energy usage and costs little to implement.
It's supposed to cool 15 degrees less than ambient temperature.
Cool heh?

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Dolores said:

I read that thing and well, it sounds like a great idea but it also sounds like they're trying to guineapig people into trying it out for them and posting about it on the web (read at the end). I believe that who ever wrote this never really tried it successfuly and here's why. PVC pipes may seem afordable and they may be kind'a hygenic (a big problem with this system because it will operate at a temperatura at which bacteria will just start to feel like wanting to learn to dance bachata) but it is a bad conductor for temperatures. So, air will just run thru the pipes et voil?, or in other words, without much noticeable change in temperature. But the basic idea that there are lower temperatures not so far below that could be used to "cool vent" (that's not airconditioning, especially not to US American standards) still stands and invites to elaborate.
So, we need a different material than PVC... copper, aluminum would be prime for temperatur exchange but prime bucks too... steel could work to... maybe even concrete (especially in a wet environement).
Then we need to redefine size... if it shall be copper or aluminum, we just might want to use a much smaler diameter, dig deeper and run a good bunch of pipes all over the place. Steel or even iron pipes may be used in larger sizes and concrete too.
In anyway, the pipes need to be much further apart than in their design or you will just warm up your garden real fast and loose all that cooling effect.
In anyway, hygenics will be an issue that needs to be adressed form the very beginning. First yes, as described in the article, one will need to provide for some way to evacuate condesation. I think the other (dancing bacteria) problem may be approached with some ulta violet lightning (which isn't too energy consuming to run). Fungus... uhm... I don't know, I never really liked fungus, maybe since it don't hardly ever dance. ;)

Anyway, it's been good enough to haunt me in my sleep but it still needs some major brainstorming.

Thoughts welcomed.

... J-D.

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
No necessity for all those pipes.

I also read the article and found it to be too complicated. There's no need to bury pipes. If you have a big enough backyard, you can run a conduit of whatever material to the lowest and shadiest part of your property and connect it to the existing ventilation system in your home. Just make sure the lower windows are closed and the ones on top open. Or build an exaust vent, dome-like, right through your roof. If it works for me, It'll work for you.

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Yes you may.

Dolores said:
Do you have this installed in the DR. Could I visit you to see how it works?

I had an exaust vent built over the kitchen stove which is on the upper level of my two tiered home. it works extremely well exept when cooking when it has to be shut or the stove flames go out.
You're welcome to come by. I'm not there now but my brother Julio can show you around.

The adress is: Calle Gualluvin Olivo # 64, Vista Hermoza, Sto Dgo. Este.
( entrada de Wessin)

SunnyG

Oct 28, 2005
www.thesolarguide.com
It's a fact that eastern continents use far less renewable energy then the western ones. I asked myself why this may be; the answer comes down to money, there is far more money in nuclear, coal and hydro. Sooner or later we are going to have become aware that renewable energy is in the end our only resort. I have started doing my part by using solar panels to heat parts of my house and solar tubing to heat my pool but havent heard of solar air-conditioning before this thread, it is definatly something I will look into!

-SunnyG

Last edited by a moderator:

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
No need for energy hogs!

SunnyG said:
It's a fact that eastern continents use far less renewable energy then the western ones. I asked myself why this may be; the answer comes down to money, there is far more money in nuclear, coal and hydro. Sooner or later we are going to have become aware that renewable energy is in the end our only resort. I have started doing my part by using solar panels to heat parts of my house and solar tubing to heat my pool but havent heard of solar air-conditioning before this thread, it is definatly something I will look into!

-SunnyG

You ever notice why old (catholic) churches are so cool inside? Generally, they have very high ceilings & tiled flooring that dissipate heat.
In DR, homes can be made very pleasant by building a dome, planting shade trees and installing awnings on the eastern side of the house.
No A/C units, no huge elect. bills, very environmentally friendly & good for the economy! ( no coal or diesel to buy from frigging Chavez).