Starting a Call Center in DR

intellivoip

Sep 15, 2005
www.worldline.ca
I am looking at starting a Center in the DR. I am thankful for any information you could provide.

I am visiting Sept 22 for seven days to research and define project goals.

I need assistance on the following:
Here is what I have so far for a task list:

Q. General question ? if a call center was to be opened in the DR ? where would be the best place and why?

1. Learn about Importing: Business Essentials, PC's, Desks, VoIP Hardware, Cabling, Phone Sets, generators, etcetera. I will need to import or purchase call center furniture and equipment to start my business. Where can I find out more on Importing?

2. Legal - Register a business, get legal advice and representation in the DR (Taxes, Employment Law). I need to meet with a top laywer. What are the costs?

3. Verison - arrange meeting and locate fiber buildings that are in Free Zones in the North of DR - do Voice over Internet Protocal (VOIP) test. We will be using Voice over Internet to bring inbound calls from Canada and USA into the DR call center to signup and answer technical questions on our products and services. Can you offer assistance in finding or setting up a meeting to talk with Verison and find OnNet fiber buildings with T1 internet access (fiber connection to Verison).

3a. Hire a Tutor for Spanish or get a translator.

4. Commercial Real Estate Agent - Locate Office Choices from our fiber building choices for office space.
4a. Where are the free zones in the North? Is there a list of cities available? What is the benefit of doing business in the North?

5. Find and meet with the Employment office in the North end, good English speaking people. What is the best method to find English speaking educated staff to work as customer care representatives?

6. Health Care - organize private health care. What do I need to have in order to be covered for personal health care in the DR?

7. Living in DR - I will need to live in the North close or in Sousa. What would you recommend for a new DR resident? I will need to have close access to the free zones for work, and don't want to live in any unsafe areas. Can you recommend anywhere I could look for rental or purchase?

I will probably have more questions, but this is my starting list. In advance, I appreciate any insight you have to offer.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
As far as I know, there is only one call center on the North Coast (there may be more now..) But this one is just next to the Free Zone outside of Puerto Plata. (Can anyone remember the name?) This one in Puerto Plata is the only big free zone in the North. There are many little ones..

Two general comments... you need to have more than 7 days to investigate all that you want to... and basing yourself in Santo Domingo would have greater benefits in terms of infrastructure.

So, do you have to be on the North Coast?

As far as importing - furniture you can get here (made or bought), but technology you'll have to import. Add to your list of things to do to find a good import broker as well as a consolidator on the US side, that can consolidate shipments for you.

I would suggest that in terms of attorneys, you work with Fabio Guzman's office. I know they have other call centers as customers. They are reputable but a little more expensive than most - their experience would be worth the extra cost. www.drlawyer.com

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
The amount of information you are requesting is enormous. PM me for a Call Center insider's viewpoint.

intellivoip

Sep 15, 2005
www.worldline.ca
I am here in the DR now, so far I have a good real estate agent, a great lawyer and some really good contacts for importing. We'll see what 7 days can do here.

Thanks for your help.
mb (nice guy)

Chris said:
As far as I know, there is only one call center on the North Coast (there may be more now..) But this one is just next to the Free Zone outside of Puerto Plata. (Can anyone remember the name?) This one in Puerto Plata is the only big free zone in the North. There are many little ones..

Two general comments... you need to have more than 7 days to investigate all that you want to... and basing yourself in Santo Domingo would have greater benefits in terms of infrastructure.

So, do you have to be on the North Coast?

As far as importing - furniture you can get here (made or bought), but technology you'll have to import. Add to your list of things to do to find a good import broker as well as a consolidator on the US side, that can consolidate shipments for you.

I would suggest that in terms of attorneys, you work with Fabio Guzman's office. I know they have other call centers as customers. They are reputable but a little more expensive than most - their experience would be worth the extra cost. www.drlawyer.com

aos

Dec 10, 2003
Best place for internet business in the DR

Investigate Santiago and Bani.
I do not know what call volume you will be doing but in both locals Verizon has a local office and can supply speed up to T1. They are friendly and can answer your questions. I do not speak spanish and always found someone there who could help me.
We will be setting up a small virtual office using voip via Vonage or Packet8 to conduct business with U.S. clients.
Reliable electricity will be a problem in the DR!
We began by deciding to use smaller more energy efficient computer equipment.
Hope this helps.

intellivoip

Sep 15, 2005
www.worldline.ca
Thank you

I actually found out that there is a private hydro company here near Playa Dorada which is pretty reliable for power. There are some great office locations that run around 12000 RD per month. What size of space are you looking for?

Do you know where we can find english speaking customer service representatives?

aos said:
Investigate Santiago and Bani.
I do not know what call volume you will be doing but in both locals Verizon has a local office and can supply speed up to T1. They are friendly and can answer your questions. I do not speak spanish and always found someone there who could help me.
We will be setting up a small virtual office using voip via Vonage or Packet8 to conduct business with U.S. clients.
Reliable electricity will be a problem in the DR!
We began by deciding to use smaller more energy efficient computer equipment.
Hope this helps.

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
intellivoip said:
I actually found out that there is a private hydro company here near Playa Dorada which is pretty reliable for power. There are some great office locations that run around 12000 RD per month. What size of space are you looking for?

Do you know where we can find english speaking customer service representatives?
I sent you a PM. Let me know if I can help in any way.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
intellivoip said:
I am here in the DR now, so far I have a good real estate agent, a great lawyer and some really good contacts for importing. We'll see what 7 days can do here.

Thanks for your help.
mb (nice guy)
You are doing good, able to put two Dominican oxymorons in one sentence. Slow down, the only thing that moves quickly in the DR is seperating a gringo from his money. Both lawyers and real estate agents are notorious for promising the world and delivering nada.

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
There are a call center association of Dominican Republic, if you contact they can help you.

D R Call Center Asociation
Carr L Am?ricas 22
Santo Domingo
(809) 234-7791

Good Luck, and advise me when you finish you company, Id like to change my job for other with better working hrs.

str8d0minikan

Sep 18, 2005
Place

El Rubio is a campo belonging to san jose de las matas it has one call center but its not that good if u offer good service u can defininately take them out (san jose de las matas is a little city outside santiago)

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
Call center help

Intellivoip, I sent you a message in case you need help. I have vast experience in call centers in DR and can be of great help. Let me know if you need assistance from me, call me on 809 308-8930, I'm in Santo Domingo.

Thanks

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
JDJones said:
Obviously, the more you pay, the more luck you'll have finding people. I know a lot of english speakers on the North coast that would be willing to work if it paid more than what Amercall pays.
You've peeked my curiousity with your many references to Americall. What is the amount you believe the reps are paid? How much higher would be necessary to be more sucessful in attracting English speaking reps?

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
I don't exactly know what call centers in PP are paying, I know in Santiago they are paying around $60-$70/hr. In Santo Domingo the going rate is $80 - $130, besides other benefits, and there is plenty of good English speaking reps. I am currently recruiting for 30 more new reps and have plenty to choose from.

I have agents who come from La Vega, Santiago, PP and prefer to work in the capital because they are better paid here.

intellivoip

Sep 15, 2005
www.worldline.ca
Thank you

What kind of expierence have you had? We are setting up this operation on our own merrits however help is always great!

Marilyn said:
Intellivoip, I sent you a message in case you need help. I have vast experience in call centers in DR and can be of great help. Let me know if you need assistance from me, call me on 809 308-8930, I'm in Santo Domingo.

Thanks

intellivoip

Sep 15, 2005
www.worldline.ca
Pay

Are you talking 60-130$ US per rep per day?

I was under the understanding I could pay 10,000RD including a benefit plan and bonus per month?

Marilyn said:
I don't exactly know what call centers in PP are paying, I know in Santiago they are paying around $60-$70/hr. In Santo Domingo the going rate is $80 - $130, besides other benefits, and there is plenty of good English speaking reps. I am currently recruiting for 30 more new reps and have plenty to choose from.

I have agents who come from La Vega, Santiago, PP and prefer to work in the capital because they are better paid here.

intellivoip

Sep 15, 2005
www.worldline.ca
Sorry I miss read your email. I am assuming you are saying 60-130 (higher in the capitol) at $130 RD peso per hour...

Correct?

intellivoip said:
Are you talking 60-130$ US per rep per day?

I was under the understanding I could pay 10,000RD including a benefit plan and bonus per month?

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
Experience

At the moment I'm General Manager of a call center in Santo Domingo, and I'm also senior consultant and co-founder of Contact Consulting Services. Look us up on our website www.contact-consulting.com; my bio can be found under the link "meet the executive team" under the name of Mary Alvarez.

intellivoip

Sep 15, 2005
www.worldline.ca
In your previous email you said that you paid $60-130/day. Is that US dollars or Pesos? Minimum wage is 2400 a month RD Peso. Can you explain the wage portion?

Marilyn said:
At the moment I'm General Manager of a call center in Santo Domingo, and I'm also senior consultant and co-founder of Contact Consulting Services. Look us up on our website www.contact-consulting.com; my bio can be found under the link "meet the executive team" under the name of Mary Alvarez.

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
In Santo Domingo the going rate is 80-130 per hour, but in Santiago/PP area is about $60-70/hour for bilingual reps. At the moment I'm paying my reps 105-130/hour with medical insurance, full lunch subsidy and transportation going home, this is in Santo Domingo in a free zone. Minimum wage right now is $6,400 and is only for unskilled personnel. Spanish reps make about 8000-9000 monthly in Santo Domingo.