Love gone wrong!

keea

Apr 4, 2005
I just wanted to comment on my experience. I lived in the DR for years doing volunteer work. Then I met and married an Indio ( a med. skinned dominican) who came from money. I also have a degree in latin american culture so I thought I understand the risks behing an intercultural, interracial marriage, not to mention the whole machismo deal. We were married for less than 24 hours before he quit his job and said I would get another job to support us. We were married less than a month before he told me I could no longer leave the house or make phone calls without his permission. We were married less than 3 onths before he started to beat me.
there is only so much a canadian girl can take, even though I still love him, we are seperated. like I said, I THOUGHT i understood his culture, anymore, I don't know.

yvette said:
On the recent thread: "The Class System," there were and abundant number of posts regarding, not the Class System, but Race. I am NOT looking for an argument, nor a fight, just well articulated facts. My question is this: Are interracial relationships common place in the DR, and can you share some success stories on how you have made it work?

Yvette

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
keea said:
We were married for less than 24 hours before he quit his job and said I would get another job to support us. We were married less than a month before he told me I could no longer leave the house or make phone calls without his permission. We were married less than 3 onths before he started to beat me.

even though I still love him
(bolding mine)
:eek:

This is a joke, right?

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Tell me about it!!

Chirimoya said:
(bolding mine)
:eek:

This is a joke, right?
You know what, Chiri, I was going to post the same thing you did.

It gotta be a joke, I swear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Ok I split it. I didn't want to delete it because I have no way to verify if her story is true or not.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
miguel said:
You know what, Chiri, I was going to post the same thing you did.

It gotta be a joke, I swear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
It's got to be a joke. No one can be that "dumb". Not even a Canadian girl. Oops I'm Canadian. It could be true though, I've seen it happen a few times before. English, American, German, Dutch and a few more. It's the "I still love him" part I could never understand.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
It isn't an interracial relationship that didn't work out, it's a relationship with an asshole that didn't work out.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Oh Rick,

You have such a wonderful way to say so much in so few words...:D:D:D

He probably doesn't come from money, he comes from scum--again, if this is true!!

Post his name honey, so other will know...

HB:D:D:D

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
Oh My ..... Messed up Canadians

keea said:
We were married less than 3 onths before he started to beat me. There is only so much a canadian girl can take

WTF !!! I can't believe how stupid some women are...... Just reading the post made me pist..... I swear if a guy hit me a Lorraina Bobbit would be the least of his worries ! Cause your Canadian doesn't mean your a god damn princess ! and I mean this for all relationships not just "Interracial" ... you can't blame it on that or cultural difference either..... especially if you have a "degree" or whatever it is ......

Next time you let a guy hit you stock up on protein and kick the living snot outta him ..... God knows I would !

Let me guess.... your from Toronto ...

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
I agree well said rick she unfortunatley married as asshole indeed.
Money or no money assholes are everywhere!!

ricktoronto said:
It isn't an interracial relationship that didn't work out, it's a relationship with an asshole that didn't work out.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Wait a second!

Music said:
I agree well said rick she unfortunatley married as asshole indeed.
Money or no money assholes are everywhere!!
Indeed, she married an axhole but let's not forget that SHE was the one who choose THAt axhole.

She claimed that she has a degree in latin culture so there's not way in hell that she did not know in what she was getting into. He MUST had thrown little hints over the time that he was who he was and she still married him.

NOBODY and I mean NOOOOOOBODY changes in 24 hours. Meaning, she knew what he was capable of. That it got tougher, sure, but she knew who he was.

Let's not forget that in MANY cases, we ARE who we choose!.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
The point is the post is titled "interracial relationships that didn't work out", and should be "relationships that didn't work out".

Adding race to the mix makes it sound like race is the (entire) issue when assholiness is the cause and the violence and breakup the effect.

There is enough race this and that here to choke a horse all of it really pointless.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
If the post was genuine, which I am still not convinced about, the poster is probably too embarrassed to return. I mean, I know it happens, but to admit to still loving an abuser... :eek:

And I agree: nothing to do with race. Abusive partners can be of any race or class.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
The OP has only posted twice. The other post was in April 4, 2005 asking about teaching jobs.

keea said:
Hello. I'm ready to sign up for a TEFL course next week. That;s if you tell me I can find work in the DR. My husband is there waiting for me. Anything you can throw my way?
Thanks Keea.

I think Chiri's comment was about "still loving him" and not if the story is a joke.

Right Chiri?