What are the ethnicities and education levels of DR people in the U.S?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tvagyok!

Jan 27, 2005

TonyD (speaking) poses the question in the title out of curiosity, since it makes him feel good when he hears that the people of his ethnic background, the DR people, are progressing in the the great American nation. The fact that the curiosity also surfaces on the ethnicity, one (TonyD) gets an exciting feeling when he knows that educated and progressive Dominicans have a fine-looking appearance, either resembling that of a European or a Spaniard, or just a DR person with a light complexion. Don't misunderstand me, I'm from a mixed DR family and I'm for all educated Dominicans depsite their appearances. It's just that when I hear that some have a fine, or just a light-skinned appearance, TonyD gets this good feeling. I know, it may sound kind of odd, but honestly, that's how I feel.

Peace and sunshine!

Last edited:

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
One would have to assume the ethnicity of Dominicans in the US is Dominican.

Why are there so many half-baked threads here about skin colour and so forth here? People are people, black, brown, white , yellow. Nobody is better than anyone else. Haitians are not inherently bad. Religion is a personal choice. Interracial relationships are normal.

I am amazed the white hood manaufacturers can keep inventory at times.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
The bad part is

ricktoronto said:
One would have to assume the ethnicity of Dominicans in the US is Dominican.

Why are there so many half-baked threads here about skin colour and so forth here? People are people, black, brown, white , yellow. Nobody is better than anyone else. Haitians are not inherently bad. Religion is a personal choice. Interracial relationships are normal.

I am amazed the white hood manaufacturers can keep inventory at times.

Its not normally the guys that manufacture the white hoods that are making all the comments.

Its the guys that dont like the white hoods that are causing all the racial/color strife on this board. They just can't let people alone. I would say that they are the real racist, except they say that they can't be racist, as they have no power, so the worst they can be is Prejudiced. :tired:

Yari

Aug 18, 2005
Are You Kidding Me Right Now???

Dominicans like the original poster give our people a BAD name. The sad part is that he is representative of what someone else who is dominican has taught him. I have experienced racism such as this from people who are dominican & they swear to God that they are not racist :tired: .

to OP: Why does it make you all warm & fuzzy to just hear about "white" or light skinned dominicans doing well in the US? Is it the Spain in you talking when you make such a rediculous post??

Let me teach you the lesson that your mami and papi never taught you!! people with brown skin are not bad...they are not dirty...they have the same red blood running through their veins that you do...there are "good" ones, there are bad ones (just like in the "white" race).

So my dear, do not be afraid of us because we will not bite.

Last edited:

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
Who the F~@k is TonyD

Tvagyok! said:

TonyD (speaking) poses the question in the title out of curiosity, since it makes him feel good when he hears that the people of his ethnic background, the DR people, are progressing in the the great American nation. The fact that the curiosity also surfaces on the ethnicity, one (TonyD) gets an exciting feeling when he knows that educated and progressive Dominicans have a fine-looking appearance, either resembling that of a European or a Spaniard, or just a DR person with a light complexion. Don't misunderstand me, I'm from a mixed DR family and I'm for all educated Dominicans depsite their appearances. It's just that when I hear that some have a fine, or just a light-skinned appearance, TonyD gets this good feeling. I know, it may sound kind of odd, but honestly, that's how I feel.

Peace and sunshine!
Why are you writing in the 3rd person? ... maybe multiple personalities disorder. So TonyD (speaking) form the DR, can you enlighten us on the skin colour of each of your personalities?

This race topic recurs quite often, maybe a separate forum or sticky ... :cross-eye :cross-eye :cross-eye

May 12, 2005
The way I look at things, people are way too preocccupied with race and ethnicity, their own and everyone else's. We all live in a multi-cultural world and country, especially here in the US. People are individuals and should be treated as such. I was always taught don't dislike someone because of what race or ethnicity they are, if you're not going to like someone, don't like them because they're an a**hole to you or others. It's that simple. We don't have to like everyone, but don't base your relationships and feelings on race/ethnicity only.

May 31, 2005
Tvagyok! said:

Peace and sunshine!
This guy is confused or he needs more grammar lessons.

Tvagyok!

Jan 27, 2005
I apologize for what I said

Hi,
When I wrote my last post, I was just expressing something to see what the others on the board would say to that. The topic obviously brought about controversy, and I ask for perdon for mentioning something in reference to race. Like I mentioned, I am from a mixed DR family, and so I have relatives that resemble the DR people. In reading these posts, my main desire has been that the DR people would have better government leaders which will care more about the people and also give them a good educational system.

Let there be Peace and Sunshine!

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
What a load of crap this last post is. What difference does it make who resembles who? It didn't bring controversy as much as the Tony D stuff and the pointlessness of it made you look like a goof and bigot in that order.

Tvagyok!

Jan 27, 2005
ricktoronto said:
What a load of crap this last post is. What difference does it make who resembles who? It didn't bring controversy as much as the Tony D stuff and the pointlessness of it made you look like a goof and bigot in that order.

To Ricktoronto,
Like I said, I apologized for what I posted concerning race. I'm not a bigot, all I look for in relatives and people in general is that they be good people who respect their neighbors. I ended my last post by saying that I think people in DR should get a good education, and for those who migrate to the U.S., they will be able to teach that to their offspring. But as far as the Tony D post, let's disregard it, it was unintentional. I want to post in peace here with fellow DR people.

Peace and Sunshine!

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Tvagyok (Tony D)

Your first post is just an example of a chronic social problem that will continue to be one of the ills that prevents the DR from social advancement. To deny that it exists is equal to denying that you did not mean what you wrote in your first post. I think your post whether unintentional or not is a true reflection that you are a product of your environment and the worst part is you don't live in the DR. In your subconscious mind race and color plagues you and in an age where we have the best opportunities to educate ourselves your issues about color are typical of the previous century. Education is a choice, ignorance should not be an option. You can remedy this problem by educating yourself and others around you. The choice is yours to make.

LDG.

Last edited:

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Siiiiii!

Lesley D said:
Your first post is just an example of a chronic social problem that will continue to be one of the ills that prevent the DR from social advancement. To deny that it exists is equal to denying that you did not mean what you wrote in your first post. I think your post whether unintentional or not is a true reflection that you are a product of your environment and the worst part is you don't live in the DR. In your subconscious mind race and color plagues you and in an age where we have the best opportunities to educate ourselves your issues about color are typical of the previous century. Education is a choice, ignorance should not be an option. You can remedy this problem by educating yourself and others around you. The choice is yours to make.

LDG.
My same sentiments. You seem like a nice person and you said it your way BUT sometimes I get sick of these ignorant people so allow me to "do it like Frank Sinatra", MY WAY:

OP, YOU sounded like a ignorant dyck and

TonyD IS an ignorant dyck (and I know how to spell it correctly).

Last edited:

Yari

Aug 18, 2005
You are the voice of reason...

this is exactly the case Lesley. The sad part is that many people who say things like the OP don't even think that they are being racist. Because it's something that they perceive as normal. Until one day they write a post in DR1 and realize that all he was taught reguarding people was a sham :(

to OP: you are probably young so I will give you this advice: break out of the mindset where a persons race makes them valuable or invaluable

Lesley D said:
Your first post is just an example of a chronic social problem that will continue to be one of the ills that prevent the DR from social advancement. To deny that it exists is equal to denying that you did not mean what you wrote in your first post. I think your post whether unintentional or not is a true reflection that you are a product of your environment and the worst part is you don't live in the DR. In your subconscious mind race and color plagues you and in an age where we have the best opportunities to educate ourselves your issues about color are typical of the previous century. Education is a choice, ignorance should not be an option. You can remedy this problem by educating yourself and others around you. The choice is yours to make.

LDG.

Tvagyok!

Jan 27, 2005
[/COLOR]
miguel said:
My same sentiments. You seem like a nice person and you said it your way BUT sometimes I get sick of these ignorant people so allow me to "do it like Frank Sinatra", MY WAY:

OP, YOU sounded like a ignorant dyck and

TonyD IS an ignorant dyck (and I know how to spell it correctly).

To Miguel & all,
You have reason, Tony D is an ignorant dyck, and he spoke just to be funny and threw out some nonsense. But I, Tvaygok!, am a good fellow who only desires to post in peace and harmony here. So on behalf of Tony D and myself, I humbly apologize, I would bow down and kiss thy feet and all the others here to show how sorry I am for what was said. After all, somos hermanos, que haya paz.

Peace and sunshine!

p.s. what does OP signify?

Yari

Aug 18, 2005
OP=original post or poster
& if you are being sincere, then I for sure accept your apology :)

Tvagyok! said:
[/COLOR]

To Miguel & all,
You have reason, Tony D is an ignorant dyck, and he spoke just to be funny and threw out some nonsense. But I, Tvaygok!, am a good fellow who only desires to post in peace and harmony here. So on behalf of Tony D and myself, I humbly apologize, I would bow down and kiss thy feet and all the others here to show how sorry I am for what was said. After all, somos hermanos, que haya paz.

Peace and sunshine!

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Deal!!

Tvagyok! said:
[/COLOR]

To Miguel & all,

Peace and sunshine!

If you are genuine, I accept your apology. Just don't dissapoint us with any other posts that would make you look ignorant.

All that said, welcome to DR1 and feel free to ask any questions you may have.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
miguel said:
If you are genuine, I accept your apology. Just don't dissapoint us with any other posts that would make you look ignorant.

All that said, welcome to DR1 and feel free to ask any questions you may have.

He already started a similar thread about the southerners in the US being bigoted against Dominicans. One track mind.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Gracias Yari

I just felt it was a comment that needed to be dealt with and I purposely waited to see what the OP's second post would say to better understand what his intentions were. I have serious doubts as to his intentions because race and color are two issues I don't joke about or take lightly as they are deeply rooted social problems of the DR still today (2005) and they are not being dealt with in the proper way if at all. However, it's not my issue because my reading has been done. I just wish others would do theirs.

Feliz fin de semana.

LDG.

Yari said:
this is exactly the case Lesley. The sad part is that many people who say things like the OP don't even think that they are being racist. Because it's something that they perceive as normal. Until one day they write a post in DR1 and realize that all he was taught reguarding people was a sham :(

to OP: you are probably young so I will give you this advice: break out of the mindset where a persons race makes them valuable or invaluable

Yari

Aug 18, 2005
Yes, I take these issues seriously too, that is why I posted in the first place. & you are so right, these issues are alive and festering even today:(. But no need to dwell for now, you have a great weekend too :).

Lesley D said:
I just felt it was a comment that needed to be dealt with and I purposely waited to see what the OP's second post would say to better understand what his intentions were. I have serious doubts as to his intentions because race and color are two issues I don't joke about or take lightly as they are deeply rooted social problems of the DR still today (2005) and they are not being dealt with in the proper way if at all. However, it's not my issue because my reading has been done. I just wish others would do theirs.

Feliz fin de semana.

LDG.

Kozy

Jun 1, 2002
When I first came to the DR in 1989, a wise dominican gave me this advise on how to adjust to a place so different from my country(the US). He said. "know the culture, respect the culture". The dominican culture is centered around, is ALL about skin color, family and social class. Thats a fact, for better or worse. K

Status
Not open for further replies.