Winter Getaway in Samana

haikupoet

Sep 16, 2005
My wife and I are planning a winter getaway some time between January and March 2006. We've decided to focus on the Samana peninsula because of its scenic views and relative isolation from the large crowds in other parts of the Dominican Republic. A few days of research have turned up at least three possibilities: Villa Serena, Punta Bonita and Playa Bonita. I've read plenty about the first, but does anyone on this forum have any comments on the other two? Our main goal is to relax and decompress on the beach during the day, and to experience fine local cuisine during the evening. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
How could I resist
replying to your screen name
any other way?

I know, that was crap. Now, if it were limericks, we'd be in business. ;)

I heartily recommend Las Galeras as a place that fulfils your requirements. As well as Villa Serena you have good options at Club Bonito (is that what you meant?) and Todo Blanco. You can PM me if you need more details.

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
Todo Blanco

I can chime in - in favor of Las Galeras.

Depending on your tastes, Todo Blanco is my recommendation.

And Playa Rincon is nearby for a day-trip. You can get to Samana, Salta de Limon, and Las Terrenas via Guagua, or rent a taxi for a day for $100 - worth it for some folks who do not speak Spanish and can't deal with the backpacker pace and so on..........

Nyeden

Sep 2, 2005
haikupoet said:
My wife and I are planning a winter getaway some time between January and March 2006. We've decided to focus on the Samana peninsula because of its scenic views and relative isolation from the large crowds in other parts of the Dominican Republic. A few days of research have turned up at least three possibilities: Villa Serena, Punta Bonita and Playa Bonita. I've read plenty about the first, but does anyone on this forum have any comments on the other two? Our main goal is to relax and decompress on the beach during the day, and to experience fine local cuisine during the evening. Any guidance would be appreciated.

I will be visiting Samana Soon,.. I found this site to be very helpful with what to do around there. check it out.. www.samana.net
I hear Las Terrenas is one of the best parts of Samana. They also have alot of places to stay that consists of a fully equiped apartments with kitchen..

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
Atlantis Hotel, Playa Bonita near Las Terrenas.
Beautiful unspoilt beach in front.
Excellent cuisine by the chef of former french president Mitterand.
Lots of good french and italian cuisine in Las Terrenas.
Bartolomeo