Salsa dancing in Santo Domingo?

z_zapper

Jun 14, 2004
Hi,

I've searched the forums extensively, and while a number of topics touch upon this question peripherally, nothing out there has helped me get a real sense of how much salsa dancing there is to be done in the capital? Has anyone out there actually done any salsa in SD? Any thoughts would be appreciated, as I'm trying to plan a vacation next month...

Thx,
Zain

May 31, 2005
I just know that there is a lot of salsa dancing in the DR. Especially in the capital.... That's all they play in my hometown....

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Dominicans are not big salseros, but a lot of clubs will play a couple of Salsa records to clear the dance floor and get people to the bar

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
MerengueDutchie said:
salsa in the DR is reasonably present in Santo Domingo and Santiago.. but don't expect a very high standard in the dancing ;)

You have to be kidding me. Dominicans are known in the Latin realm as the best Latin music dancers, especially Salsa for that matter. Man you need to get out of the pricey clubs and go down to where the locals go and I don't mean "los hijos de papi y mami go".

If you are looking for ballroom Salsa dancing then Santo Domingo is not for you. Ballroom Salsa is not Salsa period. Those people are so stiff that they might as well be dead.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Stodgord said:
You have to be kidding me. Dominicans are known in the Latin realm as the best Latin music dancers, especially Salsa for that matter. Man you need to get out of the pricey clubs and go down to where the locals go and I don't mean "los hijos de papi y mami go".
haha, Dominicans are the worst salsa dancers, yes of course a few of them know how to get down, but the majority of them, no way. I am yet to go to a dominican club and see dominicans crowding the dance floor to Gilberto Santa Rosa, Victor Manuelle, Tito Rojas, etc... But if the DJ plays Merengue or Bachata, "P'al Bailadooorr!"

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
Ricardo900 said:
Dominicans are not big salseros, but a lot of clubs will play a couple of Salsa records to clear the dance floor and get people to the bar

Ricardo,

The reason why you don't see the dance floor packed in a Latin Club, is because Salsa is all about style (not like in wears but body style). It is like French if you don't speak it correctly don't even try it. It is very demanding. Dominicans are big Salseros but they are self concious when dancing Salsa in a club setting. We don't like to "pasar verguenza" or "hacer el ridiculo".

It is enterntaining watching non dancers trying to dance Salsa, they look like they are killing 'cucarachas" with their feet. lol.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Stodgord said:
Ricardo,

The reason why you don't see the dance floor packed in a Latin Club, is because Salsa is all about style (not like in wears but body style). It is like French if you don't speak it correctly don't even try it. It is very demanding. Dominicans are big Salseros but they are self concious when dancing Salsa in a club setting. We don't like to "pasar verguenza" or "hacer el ridiculo".

It is enterntaining watching non dancers trying to dance Salsa, they look like they are killing 'cucarachas" with their feet. lol.
I agree with you about Salsa is all about style, I party with alot of Puerto Ricans, and they don't mind teaching non salseros dancing moves. I'll be in Santiago later this week and will be offering "Free Salsa Lessons" On1 & On2 :classic:

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Salsa is alive and well in the DR. Now with my children and their friends in their teenage years was pleased to learn this first hand with my son and cousins participating in a 15 year old birthday (where salsa is danced) and the entire 10th grade class of one bilingual school spending four hours (from 4-8 pm) daily during the summer learning at Chicha's dance class. While I thought this was a dying out dance, from not much salsa being played at the hotel discos, did notice that the youngsters (14-20 years) took enthusiastically to their classes and to the rehearsals that take place for the 15 year old bash. Those that can dance well feel they have a superior edge into style.

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
Once you have really learned how to Salsa in a sense you have acquired a PHD in Tropical Latin dances.

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
Ricardo900 said:
haha, Dominicans are the worst salsa dancers, yes of course a few of them know how to get down, but the majority of them, no way. I am yet to go to a dominican club and see dominicans crowding the dance floor to Gilberto Santa Rosa, Victor Manuelle, Tito Rojas, etc... But if the DJ plays Merengue or Bachata, "P'al Bailadooorr!"

Ricardo,

Salsa is not made to be dance in a crowded dance floor, leave that to Merengue and Bachata. You need a good amount of space to be able to enjoy true Salsa dancing.

If you go to the Mirage (aka Las Vegas), Copa Cabana and other major Latin Night Club you will see Dominicans ruling the dance floor with Salsa.

If you go to DR, have someone take you to El Aguila on La Avenida San Vicente de Paul, (knife and gun fights are prevailant at this place). Here you'll experience real Salsa con tongoneo.

In DR (Santo Domingo), the best Salsa dancers are from the poor barrios. Los Minas, el capotillo, Catanga, Vietman, Guachupita, Gualey, and so on.

Like I said before, Dominicans have some reservation when it comes to dancing Salsa. They like to see more people on the dance floor before venturing out. They don't like to be the first, the last or the only one on the dance floor. They also know that a good amount of space is needed to dance Salsa.

You can dance Merengue and Bachata in which ever ways you want and it is not a big deal but with Salsa is different.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Salsa dancing in the DR is limited

Just my opinion salsa in the DR is limited to certain areas. There are some places in SD to go salsa dancing but in general I have danced salsa in many cities and SD does not rank on my top five list. A combination of style and not very many good dancers (I have not encountered many) are the reasons for my comments.

When the dance floor is empty with the lights spinning you bet it's because the DJ is playing salsa and as a result only one or two are played per round and that's it.

Now talk to me about salsa dancing in San Juan, Puerto Rico, Panama City, Panam? or Cartagena, Colombia. I have had a great time in those cities when it comes to salsa dancing.

But if there are any good new places please do let us know as I would like to check them out when I am in SD in a few months.

LDG.

Last edited:

Quisqueya

Bronze
Nov 10, 2003
Stodgord,

I disagree with you..You do not need all that much space to dance real salsa..Now if you are referring to all those spins and turns which I dont consider great salsa dancing you have a point...I wouldn't stand to close unless you want to get an elbow to the head..ouch..

Dominicans IMO dont have many great salsa dancers although the ones that grew around puerto ricans & cubans pick it up very well..which as you mentioned can have the dance floor on fire..but still too many spins and turns ..pero en sto dgo...hmmm salsa usually scatters the dance floor...unlike clubs in Panama or CTG those costenos will not leave the dance floor if Joe Arroyo is blasting..

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Stodgord said:
Ricardo,
If you go to the Mirage (aka Las Vegas), Copa Cabana and other major Latin Night Club you will see Dominicans ruling the dance floor with Salsa.

If you go to DR, have someone take you to El Aguila on La Avenida San Vicente de Paul, (knife and gun fights are prevailant at this place). Here you'll experience real Salsa con tongoneo.

In DR (Santo Domingo), the best Salsa dancers are from the poor barrios. Los Minas, el capotillo, Catanga, Vietman, Guachupita, Gualey, and so on.
hahaha, I frequent the Mirage on Dykman and when Salsa is played they clear the dance floor and Dominicans do not rule the dance floor at Copa, Latin Quarters, Veinte Veinte, Remy's, etc... The Boricuas rule those dance floors, punto. Then you have the Dance-School dancers from Razz-M-Tazz, Stepping-Out, Adiz, & Eddie Torres school ripping it up "ON2"

In Santiago, I've seen people try Salsa in Ambi, BIU, Rancho Tipico, Monte Bar, and Francifol. I'll be there this week and once again I am offering Free Salsa Lessons (Boricua Style of course) :cheeky:

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
Lesley D said:
Just my opinion salsa in the DR is limited to certain areas. There are some places in SD to go salsa dancing but in general I have danced salsa in many cities and SD does not rank on my top five list. A combination of style and not very many good dancers (I have not encountered many) are the reasons for my comments.

When the dance floor is empty with the lights spinning you bet it's because the DJ is playing salsa and as a result only one or two are played per round and that's it.

Now talk me about salsa dancing in San Juan, Puerto Rico, Panama City, Panam? or Cartagena, Colombia. I have had a great time in those cities when it comes to salsa dancing.

But if there are any good new places please do let us know as I would like to check them out when I am in SD in a few months.

LDG.

Lesley,

the good places for good Salsa dancing in the DR are in the barrios. The upper crust don't dance Salsa or merengue for that matter. They tend to stick to rock, techno and non-hispanic musics. Have you seen a "hijo de papi y mami" trying to dance merengue, they are a laugh. A tourist dance better than them. In the resorts, the animation workers are not good dancers either, but since tourists don't know any better, they think these workers are the bomb.

Back in my dancing days "El Aguila" and "Topacio" was a good spot for locals. I don't recommend you go to any of these if they are still in business.

When you get to Santo Domingo, ask your taxi driver (if he looks 30-45 y/o) for the clubs that have "Noches Salseras".

I hope you have fun.....

Quisqueya

Bronze
Nov 10, 2003
GEez Ricardo900,

You sure go to alot of clubs..hey couple of years I went to club Iguana...which is nice..have you ever been...

Ricardo900 said:
hahaha, I frequent the Mirage on Dykman and when Salsa is played they clear the dance floor and Dominicans do not rule the dance floor at Copa, Latin Quarters, Veinte Veinte, Remy's, etc... The Boricuas rule those dance floors, punto. Then you have the Dance-School dancers from Razz-M-Tazz, Stepping-Out, Adiz, & Eddie Torres school ripping it up "ON2"

In Santiago, I've seen people try Salsa in Ambi, BIU, Rancho Tipico, Monte Bar, and Francifol. I'll be there this week and once again I am offering Free Salsa Lessons (Boricua Style of course) :cheeky:

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
On 54th Street

Quisqueya said:
GEez Ricardo900,

You sure go to alot of clubs..hey couple of years I went to club Iguana...which is nice..have you ever been...
I've been there when it was going by another name.
I hear Iguana is very good on Thursdays.
I like going to spots where the Old-Skool Boricuas hang out, like Veinte Veinte, Mambo Lounge, 200 5th Ave (Fridays), etc.. I've seen a 65 year old guy salsa with two girls at the same time, he was wearing a three piece suit and didn't break a sweat.

Quisqueya

Bronze
Nov 10, 2003
You should change your name to SalseroNY900...its obvious u go out alot....I love watching those old salsa dancers..they really have finesse and rythm unlike the new generation...who think the more spins and turns the better...hey can you dance some compas....hheheheh..oops getting of the OP subject..will PM you

Ricardo900 said:
I've been there when it was going by another name.
I hear Iguana is very good on Thursdays.
I like going to spots where the Old-Skool Boricuas hang out, like Veinte Veinte, Mambo Lounge, 200 5th Ave (Fridays), etc.. I've seen a 65 year old guy salsa with two girls at the same time, he was wearing a three piece suit and didn't break a sweat.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Quisqueya

Joe Arroyo.... you named giant salsero there and Colombian pride. I agree with you I have been to clubs in Panama and Colombia and salsa dancing is serious untill dawn. Most of all the old salsa tunes are what all generations are dancing to. For example the Latin Brothers, Alfredo de la Fe, Hector Lavoe, El Gran Combo etc.

Joe Arroyo officially has own rhythm called 'joes?n'. Did you know songs like Rebeli?n, Echao Pa'lante, Suave Bruta etc. are combinations of his own rhythm with cumbia nuances? Great music!

LDG.

Quisqueya said:
Stodgord,

I disagree with you..You do not need all that much space to dance real salsa..Now if you are referring to all those spins and turns which I dont consider great salsa dancing you have a point...I wouldn't stand to close unless you want to get an elbow to the head..ouch..

Dominicans IMO dont have many great salsa dancers although the ones that grew around puerto ricans & cubans pick it up very well..which as you mentioned can have the dance floor on fire..but still too many spins and turns ..pero en sto dgo...hmmm salsa usually scatters the dance floor...unlike clubs in Panama or CTG those costenos will not leave the dance floor if Joe Arroyo is blasting..

Last edited:

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Dominican Salsa

Since we are on the topic, I am tired of hearing all the praises for Juan Luis Guerra, but what about Johnny Pacheco(Fania All Stars) was born in Santiago
Jose "El Canario" Alberto was born in the Capital.