Malaria Advice

Reece

Sep 8, 2005
Hello all
im visiting sosua on the 14th of nov i have had two jabs which are hepatitis A and Typhoid whilist at my doctors they advised i would need Malaria tablets aswell i would like to no if these are necessary,some people say that you do need them and some say you dont,i would just take them as a precaution but i beleave they make you sick and i dont wont this to ruin my holiday but on the flip side i also dont want melaria lol please give me some advice thanks and regards
Reece ;)

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
I don't think the risk of getting malaria in sosua is very high, as far as I know the malaria warnings apply to the areas close to the Haitian border.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I have been here for 14 years and have never heard of a single case of Malaria in Sosua.
There were a few tourists who got Malaria while vacationing in Punta Cana, a year or 2 ago.
I presume they had visited Haiti, as Malaria is rather prevalent over there.

Reece

Sep 8, 2005
update

thanks guys thats what i presumed there are four of us going and not one of us wanted to take the tablets!,if any one else has any info please reply and does any one now what to do for 9 hours on a plane the longest iv travelled so far is two....lol
regards
p.s does any one have any musts and donts whilist in sosua

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Reece said:
thanks guys thats what i presumed there are four of us going and not one of us wanted to take the tablets!,if any one else has any info please reply and does any one now what to do for 9 hours on a plane the longest iv travelled so far is two....lol
regards
Maybe a sleeping pill would help for the flight.
There are a zillion things to do around here.
What activities do you like?

Reece

Sep 8, 2005
rocky i love all activities im definatly going to try some scuba diving? just had a look on your web page we will have to stop by for a drink and maybe some food! what do you recommend local trips or must sees~
thanks

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Reece said:
rocky i love all activities im definatly going to try some scuba diving? just had a look on your web page we will have to stop by for a drink and maybe some food! what do you recommend local trips or must sees~
thanks
Northern Coast Diving center could handle a lot of your questions, as well as diving.
http://www.northerncoastdiving.com/
There is a tour to a place, 30 minutes past Puerto Plata, they call the "27 waterfalls".
Everybody who goes there rants and raves about them.
Within 20 minutes drive of Sosua, you have surfing, windsurfing, kitesurfing, go karting, horseback riding, jet skiing, snorkeling, caves to explore, 4 wheeling, etc.

Reece

Sep 8, 2005
thanks rocky sounds great as your a local would you give me advise on taking a local guide or with one of the reps?
regards

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Reece said:
thanks rocky sounds great as your a local would you give me advise on taking a local guide or with one of the reps?
regards
If you mean to the waterfalls, I would suggest the tour.
Even if you made your own way out there, you would still need guides to help you scale the falls.
There are a lot of tours that I consider useless and overpriced.
The waterfall tour is not one of them.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Maybe Conchman can give us his perspective on the Damajagua Falls as I believe it was his intent to go there this weekend as long as his plans actually came to happen.

I know many people really enjoy this but it does have a dangerous side and should NOT be attempted if the water levels are high.

I believe the tour which includes the falls is called the Dominican Discovery Tour or something close to that.

Gregg

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Reece said:
regards

You could practice using periods, spelling whole words and so forth. Then when you write about your trip people can actually read it.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
ricktoronto said:
You could practice using periods, spelling whole words and so forth. Then when you write about your trip people can actually read it.
Give the guy a break.
What is there to gain in attacking an innocent new member?

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
If you know how to swim, Damajagua falls can be done on your own. I suggest hiring a guide at the roadway site where they congregate. Go early in the morning -- around 8 am -- and ask for Roberto or Joel, excellent guides. The tip is around RD$500. Do it the right way and walk up the hill to the 27th water hole and then make your way jumping down. Do a search of dr1 forums, as the falls have been discussed before.

Reece

Sep 8, 2005
LOL @ ricktoronto,what a pathetic person!
If you couldnt read that i suggest not posting on here again!
Fair enough its not what you expect a lawyer or a secretary to write like but this is a casual forum for people with questions that relate to the DR not an exam on punctuation.