Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Helpful words and phrases when traveling to the Dominican Republic

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

YA TU SABE! (ya tu sabes!) is a catch-all phrase of agreement and noncommittal at the same time. It can be repeated again and again, after every pause of your interlocutor. The effect is that your are listening and in agreement with everything said, although you have the least idea what's going on.

2. Likes lisainmich liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

DÍGASE A VER! (dígase a ver!) is a favorite here in the DR Southwest. It's akin to COMO ANDA LA COSA! and it's used when you casually bump into an acquaintance. It's a conversation opener.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

One thing I noticed, sometimes I will use what I had deemed to be very colloquial colombian terms and the person I am speaking to gets all excited and tells me I am "hablando dominicano" when I really thought I was "hablando colombiano".

For example:

1. Haggling with a vendor, I got him to give me an astronomical discount from his original asking price. After paying, I told him "No me vas a dar la ñapa" (meaning to throw in something else for free). This guy was so pleased that I was speaking "dominican", that he gave me 4 bags of Cafe Santo Domingo.

2. One day one of my clients told me they couldn't be done on time and I said "como es esa vaina". They were so elated I was using what they think is a purely dominican term.

The result can be the opposite. One day I was eating sancocho with a couple of clients and I asked them "ustedes se comen sancocho en chocha" and they all laughed. Another day I banged my knee very hard against a desk and I said "me acabo de dar un TOTAZO!! (in colombia that means I just banged my knee really hard) and they all turned red.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think so = No lo creo/in dominican "p'ro tu ta' loco?"

Please repeat yourself? = como dijo? in Dominican: "ehhh?"

good ones Lisa
    Last edited by DavidZ; 01-14-2011 at 05:42 PM.

6. Likes Crytonb99 liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by colombianLisa View Post
    How are you = como estas? /in dominican "como tu ta?"

Where are you? = donde estas? /in dominican "donde tu ta?"

Wait a minute = Esperame un minuto in dominican /" 'pera un chin"

OH my God! = Oh Dios Mio/ in dominican "ay dio!!!'"

I don't think so = No lo creo/in dominican "p'ro tu ta' loco?"

I'm on the same page as you = Estamos de acuerdo/in Dominican "ok.... ya tu sabe'"

Please repeat yourself? = como dijo? in Dominican: "ehhh?"

Okay = bueno/de acuerod in Dominica "taaaaaaa bien" (dipping the a really low)

(That was tongue in cheek)
    I just came back from DR after being there nearly 4 months. I came home saying ehhh?? to my mom and she said waht are you saying? aahaha great :P and when i was there i always said ay dio and ok ya tu sabe ahahha

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    No offense, but the correct term is the Dominican Republic.

When people call it "The Dominican", my head flips off !! That's like calling the United States, "The United" !!
    Last edited by Marianopolita; 01-29-2012 at 01:39 PM. Reason: The quoting brackets were not used properly for a full quote- fixed!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kjt96 View Post
    When people call it "The Dominican", my head flips off !! That's like calling the United States, "The United" !!
    A lot of Dominicans call it "The Dominican" just like we say "The States" sometimes when talking about the US.

10. Likes muszii33, Harleysrock liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

A few other ones I have found:

Estar guapo(a) - they teach that this means "handsome"in school. Here it is also used to mean "angry"
    Dar una galleta - Galleta means cracker and cookie here. Dar una galleta means to punch or hit someone.
    Refresco - I was taught that "gaseosa" means soda when I was in school. I think "refresco" is a better word to use
    Vago(a) -means "broke" as in "I don't have any money"

You will notice that Dominicans often pronounce words that have an "ar" sound, especially at the end, with an "al" sound. So "comprar" is pronounced "compral." This has been my experience even when chatting online. They will often spell the word with an "al" instead of the "ar." This is not always - but it is quite noticeable.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been practicing my spanish via email with my friend, who only speaks spanish and I would like to say" take care" at the end of a message. How do I say that in spanish
    I have always only heard people say "hola" for hi I've never heard anyone use salud except for when they are drinking.

Gracias

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Cuidate mucho is what you would say. It means, take care of yourself.

14. Likes Crytonb99 liked this post
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast