Helpful words and phrases when traveling to the Dominican Republic

gringodom

Feb 26, 2009
More very useful phrases to help avoid getting ripped

I just hosted 7 friends of mine from the US who spoke little to no Spanish, I realized with just the use of a few phrases you can sound like a much more savvy buyer in the street.

In the Dominican, dont say "hola" for "hi"...say "saludo" to sound more local...

To ask "how much?" dont say the textbook..."Cuanto cuesta?" instead say ...

"A como est??" to sound like you have more experience locally...

Taxis are the worst!:

try saying when you want to ask how much...."Oye, cuanto me cobra para....(insert place here)?" to sound the most locally savvy...

remember when dealing with taxis to always ask the price before you get in!

hope that helps, paz

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I just hosted 7 friends of mine from the US who spoke little to no Spanish, I realized with just the use of a few phrases you can sound like a much more savvy buyer in the street.

In the Dominican, dont say "hola" for "hi"...say "saludo" to sound more local...

Taxis are the worst!:

try saying when you want to ask how much...."Oye, cuanto me cobra para....(insert place here)?" to sound the most locally savvy...

remember when dealing with taxis to always ask the price before you get in!

hope that helps, paz

Y a la chica?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago

No offense, but the correct term is the Dominican Republic.

It is actually "a como es" or "a como son", not to worry as they will understand that being gringos they expect you to "machucarlo el Espa?ol". :)

Girbaud101

Dec 16, 2010
You know you can't for the local favorite..."Que lo Que?" Used as a common greeting for What's up!!!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Instead of the textbook "C?mo est? usted"? Say "Qu? hubo?

Always say "Gracias, se?or/se?orita" ( you compliment the female by calling her "miss" eventhough she has 5 kids!!)

In bargaining: "Cu?nto vale esto/a?" (their answer) And then you go "MMMmmm", like a bull with your lips pursed...helps to bring down the price.

Just a few tips...from the Curmudgeon...And remember to SMILE!! never yell just because they don't understand you. Speak slowly and you'll be surprised!

HB

colombianLisa

Jan 13, 2011
How are you = como estas? /in dominican "como tu ta?"

Where are you? = donde estas? /in dominican "donde tu ta?"

Wait a minute = Esperame un minuto in dominican /" 'pera un chin"

OH my God! = Oh Dios Mio/ in dominican "ay dio!!!'"

I don't think so = No lo creo/in dominican "p'ro tu ta' loco?"

I'm on the same page as you = Estamos de acuerdo/in Dominican "ok.... ya tu sabe'"

Please repeat yourself? = como dijo? in Dominican: "ehhh?"

Okay = bueno/de acuerod in Dominica "taaaaaaa bien" (dipping the a really low)

(That was tongue in cheek)

Last edited:
Reactions: DR fan1990
Jul 4, 2010
YA TU SABE! (ya tu sabes!) is a catch-all phrase of agreement and noncommittal at the same time. It can be repeated again and again, after every pause of your interlocutor. The effect is that your are listening and in agreement with everything said, although you have the least idea what's going on.

Jul 4, 2010
D?GASE A VER! (d?gase a ver!) is a favorite here in the DR Southwest. It's akin to COMO ANDA LA COSA! and it's used when you casually bump into an acquaintance. It's a conversation opener.

colombianLisa

Jan 13, 2011
One thing I noticed, sometimes I will use what I had deemed to be very colloquial colombian terms and the person I am speaking to gets all excited and tells me I am "hablando dominicano" when I really thought I was "hablando colombiano".

For example:

1. Haggling with a vendor, I got him to give me an astronomical discount from his original asking price. After paying, I told him "No me vas a dar la ?apa" (meaning to throw in something else for free). This guy was so pleased that I was speaking "dominican", that he gave me 4 bags of Cafe Santo Domingo.

2. One day one of my clients told me they couldn't be done on time and I said "como es esa vaina". They were so elated I was using what they think is a purely dominican term.

The result can be the opposite. One day I was eating sancocho with a couple of clients and I asked them "ustedes se comen sancocho en chocha" and they all laughed. Another day I banged my knee very hard against a desk and I said "me acabo de dar un TOTAZO!! (in colombia that means I just banged my knee really hard) and they all turned red.

GandA

Feb 4, 2011
How are you = como estas? /in dominican "como tu ta?"

Where are you? = donde estas? /in dominican "donde tu ta?"

Wait a minute = Esperame un minuto in dominican /" 'pera un chin"

OH my God! = Oh Dios Mio/ in dominican "ay dio!!!'"

I don't think so = No lo creo/in dominican "p'ro tu ta' loco?"

I'm on the same page as you = Estamos de acuerdo/in Dominican "ok.... ya tu sabe'"

Please repeat yourself? = como dijo? in Dominican: "ehhh?"

Okay = bueno/de acuerod in Dominica "taaaaaaa bien" (dipping the a really low)

(That was tongue in cheek)

I just came back from DR after being there nearly 4 months. I came home saying ehhh?? to my mom and she said waht are you saying? aahaha great :p and when i was there i always said ay dio and ok ya tu sabe ahahha

DominicanQuest

Oct 22, 2012
A few other ones I have found:

Estar guapo(a) - they teach that this means "handsome"in school. Here it is also used to mean "angry"
Dar una galleta - Galleta means cracker and cookie here. Dar una galleta means to punch or hit someone.
Refresco - I was taught that "gaseosa" means soda when I was in school. I think "refresco" is a better word to use
Vago(a) -means "broke" as in "I don't have any money"

You will notice that Dominicans often pronounce words that have an "ar" sound, especially at the end, with an "al" sound. So "comprar" is pronounced "compral." This has been my experience even when chatting online. They will often spell the word with an "al" instead of the "ar." This is not always - but it is quite noticeable.

tarrantino

Jan 12, 2006
I have been practicing my spanish via email with my friend, who only speaks spanish and I would like to say" take care" at the end of a message. How do I say that in spanish
I have always only heard people say "hola" for hi I've never heard anyone use salud except for when they are drinking.

Gracias

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Cuidate mucho is what you would say. It means, take care of yourself.