Travelling for holidays in December-weather?

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
I am going to slither down to the DR for Christmas/New Years in a few months. I will be travelling with a few friends who want to hang out at the beach.

I remember from last year that I did not do the north coast because it was raining alot. Does the north coast get alot of rain in late December? I really do not want to take a chance and ruin someone elses' vacation by taking them to a place that will be washed out while we are there.

I was considering the south coast but I do not want to go to Boca Chica. Should I venture farther east to Guyacanes, San Pedro and La Romana? I need a nice beach with tranquil waters where we can rent jet skiis. And also a place where the women are'nt as hard-core as in Boca Chica and Sosua. Any suggestions? Or maybe some out-of-the-way places that are'nt so tourist-infested. HELP!!!!

Last edited:

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
From my experience...

Berzin said:
I am going to slither down to the DR for Christmas/New Years in a few months. I will be travelling with a few friends who want to hang out at the beach.

I remember from last year that I did not do the north coast because it was raining alot. Does the north coast get alot of rain in late December? I really do not want to take a chance and ruin someone elses' vacation by taking them to a place that will be washed out while we are there.

I was considering the south coast but I do not want to go to Boca Chica. Should I venture farther east to Guyacanes, San Pedro and La Romana? I need a nice beach with tranquil waters where we can rent jet skiis. And also a place where the women are'nt as hard-core as in Boca Chica and Sosua. Any suggestions? Or maybe some out-of-the-way places that are'nt so tourist-infested. HELP!!!!

I went to the DR for Christmas of 2003. It rained one day between Dec 19 and Jan 4.

Then I went for Christmas of 2004 and it rained 18 days out of the 23 days I was there. Dec 18 throuh Jan 9.

Soooooooo I am hoping this is an odd year and it doesn't rain (if it follows that sequence LOL).

So I guess there is no clean cut way to answer this. Perhaps anyone that lives there can say if December overall is a rainy month.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
El Tigre said:
I went to the DR for Christmas of 2003. It rained one day between Dec 19 and Jan 4.

Then I went for Christmas of 2004 and it rained 18 days out of the 23 days I was there. Dec 18 throuh Jan 9.

Soooooooo I am hoping this is an odd year and it doesn't rain (if it follows that sequence LOL).

So I guess there is no clean cut way to answer this. Perhaps anyone that lives there can say if December overall is a rainy month.

Sorry - forgot to say - I was in Santiago.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
The last two years December has been less than great. So, if you are playing the odds - we are due for tremendous weather this year.

Or, you can think this is a new trend. I do believe that we do get more rain in december up here then they do on the south coast.

Maybe some of those who live on the south coast can help out...