re: Dominican establishing a U.S. bank account

kingofdice

Jan 16, 2002
re: Dominican establishing a U.S. bank account

Not sure, if this is the proper thread, but I'm trying to help a newly migrated Dominican, just moved to NYC with opening a bank account in a U.S. bank. Any suggestions. Does Banco BHD have some affiliate in NYC. Any help from a stateside Dominican in NYC would be appreciated. Thanks.

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
kingofdice said:
Not sure, if this is the proper thread, but I'm trying to help a newly migrated Dominican, just moved to NYC with opening a bank account in a U.S. bank. Any suggestions. Does Banco BHD have some affiliate in NYC. Any help from a stateside Dominican in NYC would be appreciated. Thanks.

If the person has a SSN then he won't have a problem opening a US bank account. The BHD does have branches in NYC around 181th street and Saint Nicholas. If he is not here legally, then he can visit he Dominican Consulate in NYC for a consulare ID that will allow him to open a bank account.

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
Again.....

almost anyone...........can open an account even under the new Patriot Act.

The law actually encourages non citizens to invest their money in banks here.

I have done it for at least 3 of my friends when they have visited here.

I have done it at two banks.......Bank of America and Citizens Bank

If you do not have a SS number they will want:

1. Copy of passport.
2. Completed W-8BEN IRS form.

It's really not that complicated, but it will stump most people at the bank. Just insist that they check with their manager etc and you'll be able to get it.