the word AGAIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoReNiTa GuApA

Oct 8, 2004
I was wondering what the word for "AGAIN" is in spanish.

I have heard " otra vez" and recently i've heard "de nuevo"

What are the differences?

(sorry typing fast cause my boss is looking at me)

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
'otra vez' is kind of "once more" (literally 'an other time')
'de nuevo' is maybe closer to "again" (literally 'anew')
mkohn

MoReNiTa GuApA

Oct 8, 2004
eg. please

Can you please put them in sentences that explain further their usage?

MG

Last edited:

mofi

Feb 9, 2005
I don't remember exactly how the sentence was written but before i went to see my boyfriend he sent me an email containing "de nuevo" and basically it was "I can't wait to you see and be with you again" I think something like "No puede esperar verte y estar contigo de nuevo" something along thoes lines.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Morenita G

I hope all is well with you...

I am not sure where the difficulty lies with your understanding of otra vez and de nuevo both are used in the context of 'again' in English.

For example:

1) Cuando hables con ella de nuevo dile que me llame.
(When you talk to her again tell her to call me).

2) Tuve que explicarle la diferencia otra vez porque no entendi?.
(I had to explain the difference to him again because he did not understand).

'Otra vez' does have another context other than 'again' but you will understand the difference via the usage in the phrase.

TO MOFI:

In your example your b/f would have said: 'No puedo esperar... and not no puede esperar...

How come no one else is providing examples?

LDG.

MoReNiTa GuApA said:
Can you please put them in sentences that explain further their usage?

MG

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
The one I run into online is "env?elo otra vez" ( pictures or files) "send it again".

Also "cuando te veo de nuevo" when I see you again.

Lesley we understand that both mean "again" in English but is there any rule of when to use each in Spanish or it doesn't matter because they both mean the same in Spanish as they do in English?

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Anna

They are interchangeable. There is no rule that governs the usage of one over the other. However, I will wait for Morenita G to respond because I think I know why she is questioning the usage since 'otra vez' has another context.

I have a query with your sample phrase though. 'When I see you again....can't be 'cuando te veo de nuevo' if you are referring to the future. That's grammatically incorrect and definitely would raise some eyebrows. 'When I see you again....' referring to the future s/b 'cuando te vea de nuevo....I will tell you everything'.

However, if you are asking a question 'when will I see you again?' the form would be different and 'cuando' would become an interrogative word.

LDG.

Anna Coniglio said:
The one I run into online is "env?elo otra vez" ( pictures or files) "send it again".

Also "cuando te veo de nuevo" when I see you again.

Lesley we understand that both mean "again" in English but is there any rule of when to use each in Spanish or it doesn't matter because they both mean the same in Spanish as they do in English?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Lesley D said:
I have a query with your sample phrase though. 'When I see you again....can't be 'cuando te veo de nuevo' if you are referring to the future. That's grammatically incorrect and definitely would raise some eyebrows. 'When I see you again....' referring to the future s/b 'cuando te vea de nuevo....I will tell you everything'.

LDG.

I see, so "veo" is present and "vea" is future.

Great. All these things to remember. ;)

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
Lesley D said:
They are interchangeable. There is no rule that governs the usage of one over the other. However, I will wait for Morenita G to respond because I think I know why she is questioning the usage since 'otra vez' has another context.

However, if you are asking a question 'when will I see you again?' the form would be different and 'cuando' would become an interrogative word.

LDG.

Can't you ask "when do I see you again?" = cuando te veo de nuevo?

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Anna

You are working me hard for a Saturday ;)

I don't want get into this grammar concept because it's above a beginner's level but when cuando is used as an adverb to refer to future time the verb must be in the 'subjunctive form' which has almost completely disappeared from the English language. Only very careful speakers or those that speak another language use it in English. That has been my observation. But it does exist in English.

Vea is the present subjunctive form of ver used to refer to an action that will take place in the future.

Cuando vayas a la RD.... (meaning you have not gone yet)
Cuando hables con ellla... (meaning you have not spoken to her yet)
Cuando veas a tu hermana... (meaning you have not seen her yet).

These subjunctive verb forms are governed by cuando when referring to a future action or event.

Please don't confuse this with the question word 'cu?ndo' (accent on the [a]). Stodgord please go back and read my post. I explained everything there.

LDG.

Anna Coniglio said:
I see, so "veo" is present and "vea" is future.

Great. All these things to remember. ;)

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Stodgord said:
Can't you ask "when do I see you again?" = cuando te veo de nuevo?

I might be wrong but that could be English slang. Isn't the correct sentence in English. " When will I see you again"?

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I'm thinkin' "When will I see you again?" is asking for a specific time.
The example "Cuando te vea de nuevo." is suggesting at such time that is not determined and could be translated "At such time as I should see you."
mkohn

MoReNiTa GuApA

Oct 8, 2004
ok well.....

As long as you can use either one at anytime then I understand that they both mean "again".

As for another context of "otra vez" I am not sure what you are refering to
LD?

It's just that when speaking with friends (in spanish) I get confused with when to use words like "Quizas and Tal vez" y "por supuesto y claro". But I think it is more of a culture thing then grammer thing.

MG OUT

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
MoReNiTa GuApA said:
As long as you can use either one at anytime then I understand that they both mean "again".

As for another context of "otra vez" I am not sure what you are refering to
LD?

It's just that when speaking with friends (in spanish) I get confused with when to use words like "Quizas and Tal vez" y "por supuesto y claro". But I think it is more of a culture thing then grammer thing.

MG OUT

I think she is referring to "otra vez" = other time, another time

example:
La otra vez, cuando te vi me dijiste que me querias= the other time, when I saw you, you told me you loved me.

Status
Not open for further replies.