STI to Sosua - by bus?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
How difficult is it to catch a bus from STI to Sosua. Does the hassle justify the cost savings of taking a taxi?

My first trip in June 2005 I used a private driver which cost $75 USD. The driver was great but I am thinking about trying something different.

Thanks to all for any help you can provide.

P.S. I did a search for STI - Sosua but did not find a detailed report.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I assume you are on a flight that lands at STI. If so, and if it is not the middle of the night, you can take a taxi (not sure of exact price, but probably around 450-500 pesos with the recent increases in the cost of gasoline) to the Caribe Tours station. Then, you can take Caribe Tours from Santiago to Sos?a. That should not be more than 100 pesos. Last time I went from Puerto Plata to Santiago, the fare was 70 pesos, but the fare to Sos?a is a bit more expensive.

Metro does not go as far as Sos?a but Caribe does.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
La Profe_1 said:
I assume you are on a flight that lands at STI. If so, and if it is not the middle of the night,

Thanks for the info. My flight lands at STI at 1 pm.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
bigbird said:
Thanks for the info. My flight lands at STI at 1 pm.

That gives you plenty of time to take a taxi to the Caribe Tours terminal and get a bus to Sosua. Bus fare will be about US$3.00 and the bus ride will be about 1.75 hours.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Ken said:
That gives you plenty of time to take a taxi to the Caribe Tours terminal and get a bus to Sosua. Bus fare will be about US$3.00 and the bus ride will be about 1.75 hours.

Is there only one Caribe Tour Terminal in Santiago?

I appreciate the information. It looks like I can save $50 by taking the bus. It will take a little longer but I will see a few more sights.

Another question. Is Caribe Tours relaible enough to trust for my return trip to the airport?

A

apostropheman

Here is the addresss and phone number of the Caribe Tours bus terminal in Santiago.

Av. 27 de Febrero, Esq. Las Am?ricas, Las Colinas

576-0790

I took the bus from Sosua (Los Charamicos) to Santiago and then a taxi to the airport with no trouble in May. I'll be doing it again in October. It's pretty reliable and simple to do. Don't worry, just be organized and you'll be fine.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Thanks to each of you for your help.

I am ready to roll. I should be in Sosua in time for Happy Hour!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
bigbird said:
Is there only one Caribe Tour Terminal in Santiago?

I appreciate the information. It looks like I can save $50 by taking the bus. It will take a little longer but I will see a few more sights.

Another question. Is Caribe Tours relaible enough to trust for my return trip to the airport?

There are 2 terminals. I'd suggest going to the furthest one from airport as bus pauses there longer and it gives you a little extra time. Normally bus leaves that terminal every hour somewhere in the 15-30 minutes past the hour time frame.

Bus is reliable enough. This isn't to say they don't have problems occasiionally with buses enroute, but their maintenance is good and their record is excellent. Just allow plenty of time to get to airport.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
bigbird said:
What about luggage? Is it checked or do you carry it on the bus?

The overhead compartments on Caribe Tours are very small. This of course does not stop anyone from bringing any piece of luggage regardless of size onto the bus and just leaving it in the middle of the aisle.

You can check your luggage, just make sure you get off whenever the bus pulls over to make sure it does'nt grow legs and walks off.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
A couple of Do's and Dont's

Take the taxi to the CCaribe Tour depot in Los Jardines - Same street as the metro...it will be RD$100 pesos cheaper taxi ride from the airport.

Your luggage is your responsability. YOU put it on the bus and you take it off the bus.

Each time the bus stops - once more on the other side of Santiago, and then, again, in Puerto Plata- you get off and make sure nobody makes off with YOUR luggage. Keep your stub, aand, as you get off the bus, tell the driver that you are going to keep an eye on things by li=ooking at him and pulling down on one of your lower eyelids...such as a spy might do...and smile.:p

YOu will save a bunch of money and learn a few things, too.

Good Trip. and Yes, they are reliable.

HB :D:D