aqui/aca vs. alli/alla

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Here's one that might be useful.
Who can explain the differences between aqui and aca, and alli and alla?
I know I missed the accents - I'm lucky to have a computer.
mkohn

hugoke01

Dec 31, 2004
Alli , Aqui etc...

I hope this helps somewhat :

Aqui : (place ) here
e.g. : Aqui mismo : right here
Hasta aqui : as far as here
El vive por aqui : he live round here

Ac? : same as above .. here or over here
e.g. : Vente por ac? : come over here

Ac? has also a "time" meaning :
e.g. : De ayer ac? : since yesterday (up to now )

it's also used in a somewhat different way :
e.g. Ac? es mi se?ora : This is my wife

Alli :there

e.g. alli arriba : up there
por alli : over there

All? : also there
Used as direction :
e.g. : mas all? de : outside or beyond
muy all? : far away
no tan all? : not so far
vamos all? : let's go there

time related :
All? en 1492 : en el a?o 1492 (in 1492 )

A last meaning :
e.g. All? tu : it's up to you -this is your concern

Hope this helps although I'm sure someone will explain this better

mkohn said:
mkohn

mofi

Feb 9, 2005
Usually when we say aqui it means like right here right in front of me and aca is here but a little further away. Same goes for alli alla, alli is there so is alla but alla tends to be a little furtheraway.

Also depending on the country one is usually used more often then the other.

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
ah?

I've got a related question, could someone explain the difference between all? and ah??

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Mkohn

These are interesting grammar concepts and indeed there is a difference between aqu?/ac? vs all?/ all?. I am not interested in debating grammar rules that govern and explain the usage of concepts in Spanish that have been created centuries ago by philologists and grammarians etc. because they are not debatable. I say this in light of a recent thread that is now history.

Most grammar textbooks provide the general meaning of these words but do not go into details which is sometimes necessary for clarity of usage. I had a great professor who used to correct us even when we were speaking if we used these words incorrectly. As well there are great resources that do focus on specific concepts such as these in Spanish.

If you don't get the answers you are looking for I will send you a PM. However, Mofi's post is absolutely correct in terms of the basic differences between each pair of words.

LDG.

mkohn said:
mkohn

Flaco

Aug 2, 2005
mkohn said:
mkohn

I don't know how they are used in the Dominican, but in Texas we use them as such.

aqu?: If you call someone that is in another room and want him to come to the room that you are in we would say: "?Ven aqu?!

ac?: If your child has done something bad and you want to scold them: ?Ven ac?!

all?: If you are pointing something/ someone out that you can see: La chica all?...

all?: If you are refering to something/ someone that is not visible: No te vayas pa'lla.

I could very well be wrong about everything... if so please correct me so that I can adjust my fire

mofi

Feb 9, 2005
Flaco thats what i pretty much said, except your version is the opposite of mine. aca is usually more friendly then aqui or at least where I learned.

They say ven aqui when they are mad and ven aca when they just want to talk to you and not get mad.

mamichula24

Mar 28, 2006
What are the different pronunciations (sp?) of the diffrent accents? When there's an accent on an "a" and "i".....do you just stress that certain letter. I'm going to be starting my spanish classes soon...but in the mean time I've been "self teaching"....so I figure the more I learn going in...the easier it will be to learn

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Hi mamichula,
While you are learning, you can be sure you are saying it correctly if you put the emphasis on the accented syllable.
The second to last syllable is often the one with the emphasis, so the accents help a lot when the pronunciation doesn't follow the rule.
Buena suerte. (second to last)
mkohn

Status
Not open for further replies.