what does the word patana mean??

Status
Not open for further replies.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Not at all!!

susy said:
i have no clue what it means can someone help?
That word does not exist, at least not in spanish.

But I believe that Dominicans use it to describe a heavy truck, like a cement truck. I can be wrong but I am not wrong that the word does not exist.

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
Chirimoya said:
Truck with flat-bed trailer is the translation I would suggest.

Yeah, that is what it is a flat-bed trailer that is use in transporting the sugarcanes.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Tamborista said:
Perhaps the OP heard the word with a "U" instead of an "A"?

I thought of that too when I couldn't find the word anywhere but looks like there is such a word in DR. ;)

This is the reason I asked in what context she heard this word used in.

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
Anna Coniglio said:
I thought of that too when I couldn't find the word anywhere but looks like there is such a word in DR. ;)

This is the reason I asked in what context she heard this word used in.

Perhaps it is a softer way of saying Puta-na.

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
Tamborista said:
I knew some scholar could not refrain from actually typing the word!

Not a scholar here but I know that word has been in the dictionary and part of the spanish language for a long time. So it is not a bad word.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Rocky has it right. Dude, you're almost aplatanao when you know words like that.

Patana = Large truck (with a trailer or flat bed) - As in the trailers you see here in The US.
Camion = Mid-size truck (like those Daihatsu type they use to transport rice)
Camioneta = Small truck such as Toyota Tacoma, Ford F-150, etc...
Volteo = Dump truck
Guagua = Large bus
Guaguita = Small bus (like some of those that are used in public transport that only fit about 10 people)
Gredar or Pala Mecanina = Excavator
Cortadora = Combine (i.e. used to harvest rice)
Motor = Motorcycle
Passola = Moped

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Please elaborate!!

Stodgord said:
Not a scholar here but I know that word has been in the dictionary and part of the spanish language for a long time. So it is not a bad word.
With all due respect, can you tell me on which dictionary the word "patana" appears?.

I am, right now, looking a 2 dictionary, one a spanish dictionary and the other a spanish/english dictinary and the have no such world.

I am not saying that you are wrong, I just need the name of the dictionary that talks "dominican".

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
miguel said:
With all due respect, can you tell me on which dictionary the word "patana" appears?.

I am, right now, looking a 2 dictionary, one a spanish dictionary and the other a spanish/english dictinary and the have no such world.

I am not saying that you are wrong, I just need the name of the dictionary that talks "dominican".

Miguel,

I was answering to Tamborista because he scolded me for writing the following word Puta-na. As you can see, I was not referring to the word patana but Puta which is a spanish word and is in the dictionaries.

Status
Not open for further replies.